What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Touch Football Premiership

Noise

Coach
It certainly can't hurt, but it worthwhile remembering that 'touch' is not necessarily viewed as a form of rugby league any more than it is a form of rugby union (even though the flow of play is much more similar to league). The innate support in Melbourne is very much more for Union, largely from the leather elbow patch brigade (where Union is played at big private schools).

Yep but I guess part of the point of this new comp is they are trying to get the public to make the connection of touch football with rugby league.

T-Boon

Coach
Fingers crossed as they are two very different games.

Both as a spectator and a participant.

Agreed, in some ways Touch is better. I am hoping some Touch tactics find there way into RL. The play the ball guy staying alive in the play leading to some interesting passing plays around the ruck. Wingers developing passing skills into the inside men (this is needed right now as try line defences are so dominant). Also as I said earlier I like how there are changes of tempo in Touch.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Hopefully RL can chip away at Touch Footy over a few years and bring back some kicking, at least chip kicks. The rule could be: you can kick but if the ball hits the ground it is a turn over.
They tried a hybrid with Oztag.

I f**ken loved playing it and used to f**ken carve up with my Cliffy Lyon-esque playmaking.

Anyway, this isn’t about me and my uncanny ability to set people up for tries.

My point is that no-one gives a f**k about Oztag.

T-Boon

Coach
Yup. Have you ever played full contact rugby league, and if so, what were your experiences when getting tackled whilst running in the same direction as the defense?

You could change the tempo in a lot of ways. Against Melbourne (at least 2011 Melbourne) I would have played the ball slowly a lot. Milked it like teams do last minute with a 2 point lead. Melbourne were totally reliant on a rhythm.That would really mess with their line speed and screwed with their dumb brains.

strider

Post Whore
The NRL are latching onto touch footy cos it is seen as a safer alternative for all the parents scared to let their kids play contact sport

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The NRL are latching onto touch footy cos it is seen as a safer alternative for all the parents scared to let their kids play contact sport

and its something the AFL cannot match so it could be a useful tool to venture into AFL territory

strider

Post Whore
and its something the AFL cannot match so it could be a useful tool to venture into AFL territory
The AFL were already infront of NRL cos their sport isnt as its generally not quite as brutal ... but yeah it might help put league infront in the dont hurt my kid stakes .... though nothing will sway victorians

T-Boon

Coach
The AFL were already infront of NRL cos their sport isnt as its generally not quite as brutal ... but yeah it might help put league infront in the dont hurt my kid stakes .... though nothing will sway victorians

women prefer to play touch footy even in victoria. It is more fun and girls just wanna have fun.

Noise

Coach
I’ll admit to knowing every word of that song but I had never seen the film clip in full. Thanks for that Gary

They tried a hybrid with Oztag.

I f**ken loved playing it and used to f**ken carve up with my Cliffy Lyon-esque playmaking.

Anyway, this isn’t about me and my uncanny ability to set people up for tries.

My point is that no-one gives a f**k about Oztag.

I was definitely not the star of our Oztag team, as we had Brett Mullins, Matt Wood and Arthur Pappas the squad at times. Although at that point Brett was still smoking like a chimney (in the off-season anyway). Would have beaten your Cliffy Lyons bullshit.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I was definitely not the star of our Oztag team, as we had Brett Mullins, Matt Wood and Arthur Pappas the squad at times. Although at that point Brett was still smoking like a chimney (in the off-season anyway). Would have beaten your Cliffy Lyons bullshit.
I was working with some absolute muppets though.

If Mullins came to play with The Two Piece Feeds he would gone through more holes than a sailor's dick in Singapore.

Plus I would have had someone to bludge durries from.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Played prior to NRL games and televised nationally? Yet unless you go to the game, which has been almost impossible for Eels fans recently, the best we can get of the 20's is a terrible try package on nswrl.com.

Touch is not even close to rugby league, it's basically a glorified fitness drill. A better option would've been to look to promote the game of Tag League. The rules are closer to that of the NRL and modified versions for limited age competitions but without the contact aspect of the game.

strider

Post Whore
Played prior to NRL games and televised nationally? Yet unless you go to the game, which has been almost impossible for Eels fans recently, the best we can get of the 20's is a terrible try package on nswrl.com.

Touch is not even close to rugby league, it's basically a glorified fitness drill. A better option would've been to look to promote the game of Tag League. The rules are closer to that of the NRL and modified versions for limited age competitions but without the contact aspect of the game.
Mate, todd greenburg is in charge. Its a miracle we didnt end up with a game of forcemans back before the game

T-Boon

Coach

Touch is extremely popular with women and small fast dudes and it has been for 15 or 20 years. You need to take advantage of that.
Nobody goes to a game to watch reserve grade or under 20's who wasn't already going to watch firsts. So it does not increase crowds. This could.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Touch is extremely popular with women and small fast dudes and it has been for 15 or 20 years. You need to take advantage of that.
Nobody goes to a game to watch reserve grade or under 20's who wasn't already going to watch firsts. So it does not increase crowds. This could.

I agree no one goes for 20s who isn't going to first grade but the fact is that is a direct pathway to first grade, touch isn't. Back when I used to play during the off-season of footy one of the best teams was made up of soccer players, because they were smaller and faster than most of us. It is not an interesting game to watch, there aren't many skills that translate to league and whilst I can see the pros of promoting the game of touch I feel there are other avenues that should have more importance, plus a better code could've been chosen. Touch is a glorified fitness drill.

Do you seriously think people would turn up for a game of touch?

Latest posts