What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nrl2

joshreading

Staff member
Now this idea is not new of course but what do you think of creating NRL2 (merger of QLD CUP, NSW Cup, NZ and PNG)

IF...

1. Each became a home and away conference
2. Only the top 3 from NSW Cup, QLD Cup and Premiers from NZ and PNG went through into an NRL2 Championship Series (this reducing travel costs)
3. NRL2 - became the 2nd game on a friday night on 9

I think it would not increase costs dramatically at all (due to conference structure). The team sponsorship increase could be huge. Profile increase would increase dramatically if it became the 2nd Friday night game.

An All Stars series could also happen with inter conference games

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Why ?

There's no money for it, the clubs have limited support and there's near-zero media coverage of those existing competitions.

People these days, no matter what the sport, have little interest in anything outside of the elite level.

I don't know about the rest, but supporters in the Queensland Cup love it because it isn't a national comp - it's local.

If you want a team in a national competition, follow an NRL club.

Queensland clubs have already been destroyed once by the "nationising" of Rugby League - leave us out of a second round of this nonsense.

joshreading

Staff member
"Not national the reason people follow it" (paraphrased) - rubbish - all the people I know follow it because it is their local team not because the competition is in some twisted regard 'local' otherwise they would have dumped them when it expanded from Brisbane.

If they are struggling for attention "near zero" - as you say - just my point - maybe it is time to tweak the format.

The Money - won't cost alot more - but increased costs could easily covered by increased profile and coverage. MOST teams would incur no extra costs as they wouldn't play in the championship series anyway.

Obviously it came with some "IFs" - including increased coverage on commercial TV. Whilst ever it is only shown on ABC commercial sponsorship is a problem and thus funding is a problem.

Last edited:

aarondoyle

Juniors
Why ?

There's no money for it, the clubs have limited support and there's near-zero media coverage of those existing competitions.

People these days, no matter what the sport, have little interest in anything outside of the elite level.

I don't know about the rest, but supporters in the Queensland Cup love it because it isn't a national comp - it's local.

If you want a team in a national competition, follow an NRL club.

Queensland clubs have already been destroyed once by the "nationising" of Rugby League - leave us out of a second round of this nonsense.

I'm with you. I support the Broncos and I support the QRL (I'm still only new so haven't decided on a team - technically I'm in Tigers territory). I wouldn't support a second teir comp though if it wasn't just Queensland. That's just me. Why would I? I support the QRL because it's local, fun, relaxed, cheap... mostly because it's a local comp of local plyers.

Maybe that's just me though, but I think money would be a massive restraint upon all this.

westie

Bench
So what if you had a bunch of local boys playing for the local team, complimented by some quality fringe first graders and youngsters on loan from say, the Titans or Broncs or Manly?

What if it remained affordable and true to RL traditions, catering to the fans?

aarondoyle

Juniors
Okay which QRL teams do you relegate again down the tiers? Which teams do we effectively kill off?

XXXX Cap

Juniors
So what if you had a bunch of local boys playing for the local team, complimented by some quality fringe first graders and youngsters on loan from say, the Titans or Broncs or Manly?

What if it remained affordable and true to RL traditions, catering to the fans?

You would call it the Queensland Cup exactly the way it is.

westie

Bench
QLD cup stays exactly the same. More ambitious clubs can move up if they want. Doesn't affect QC?

aarondoyle

Juniors
Which would drops the QC crowds/support even further, effectively dooming various senior grade teams. No I'm all for an expansion of the QC. Bring back the Panthers, and Clydesdales soon after the new Sunshine Coast team and we'll be a on a winner.

T to the T

Juniors
It's the NSW Cup that needs developing more than a national 2nd tier.

Teams that can't afford to compete in the NRL, similarly will struggle with travel costs. The NSWRL, needs to consolidate it's competitions of sorts. This maybe a severe cutback of the Jim Beam Cup in order to strengthen and revitalise the NSW Cup, but if that needs to happen then so be it.

There is no real problem having 2 strong regional leagues below the top tier. Those these will be primarily based in QLD and NSW, there is no reason why there can't be a Darwin, Port Moresby and Suva side in the QLD Cup and similarly with Perth, Adelaide, Auckland and Melbourne MKII in the NSW Cup. These competitions should be a reasonable alternative to operating in the more costly NRL and also a launch pad to get into the NRL.

Habenero

Juniors
Which would drops the QC crowds/support even further, effectively dooming various senior grade teams. No I'm all for an expansion of the QC. Bring back the Panthers, and Clydesdales soon after the new Sunshine Coast team and we'll be a on a winner.

Spot on. I would love to see my boys running around again in the black and red.

mono_mal

Juniors
I think the suggestion of a National 2nd tier competition is viable if done correctly and maintain the traditions and integrity of the Qld Cup.
The Qld Cup as a competition would remain and be contested with a full finals series. All or several finalists could then contest a 4 week knockout competition involving teams from other second tier comps. These competitions would then effectively be conferences for this 2nd tier championship.
It would also provide a development pathway for ambitious clubs and expansion areas who may wish to proceed further to the NRL competion.

Eg.
Qld Cup (Qld Conference) 5 teams
NSW Cup (NSW Conference) 5 teams
NZ Cup (NZ Conference) 2 teams
PNG CUP (PNG Conference) 2 teams
1 Pacific Wildcard
1 Country Rugby League/Emerging States Wildcard

BDH

Juniors
I think the suggestion of a National 2nd tier competition is viable if done correctly and maintain the traditions and integrity of the Qld Cup.
The Qld Cup as a competition would remain and be contested with a full finals series. All or several finalists could then contest a 4 week knockout competition involving teams from other second tier comps. These competitions would then effectively be conferences for this 2nd tier championship.
It would also provide a development pathway for ambitious clubs and expansion areas who may wish to proceed further to the NRL competion.

Eg.
Qld Cup (Qld Conference) 5 teams
NSW Cup (NSW Conference) 5 teams
NZ Cup (NZ Conference) 2 teams
PNG CUP (PNG Conference) 2 teams
1 Pacific Wildcard
1 Country Rugby League/Emerging States Wildcard

I could see something like this working.

Let Jim Beam/NSWRL have their comp, let QRL have their comp, let BarterCard have their comp.

Then, get the top 4 from QRL & NSWRL, top 2 Kiwi, a couple of wildcards and play a knockout comp similar to the old Panasonic Cup.

NRL could try and strike a deal with Foxtel for the rights or one of the new digital channels...even play the knockout comp midweek to maximise tv ratings.

joshreading

Staff member
Isn't this what I said at the beginning? For the seasons sake it there would need to be some change in the seasonal structure. However playing AFTER the NRL Grandfinal would gaurantee the NRL2 Champions League :))) more coverage.

This would give players and clubs a real chance to see who is the best at this level. Redcliffe V Newtown in front of 40 000 at Suncorp? I'd like to see that!

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Wouldn't attract 4000. Certainly not enough to pay for the hire of Suncorp.

Do you understand how little media coverage that the Queensland Cup receives in Brisbane ?

lturner

Juniors
Wouldn't attract 4000. Certainly not enough to pay for the hire of Suncorp.

Do you understand how little media coverage that the Queensland Cup receives in Brisbane ?

They used to play the GF at Lang Park until recently didn't they? I know it was in Ipswich last year.

joshreading

Staff member
Do you understand that this would be part of growing the profile of 2nd Teir professional Rugby League in Australia? It would be about giving QLD Cup, NSW Cup, NZ, PNG Teams a chance to play at a higher level. To be part of growing the profile of their clubs, their competitions and the code.

If you keep on doing what you have always done you will keep on getting what you have always got.