What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nrl2

XXXX Cap

Juniors
They used to play the GF at Lang Park until recently didn't they? I know it was in Ipswich last year.

Because they don't get enough to justify hiring Lang Park. It's at Stockland Park on the Sunshine Coast this year.

Josh, I understand what you are trying to do. However, the practicality is that the Courier-Mail and commercial television give the Queensland Cup close to zero coverage. Newspaper reports are just a few paragraphs extracted from the QRL website. Local club Rugby Union and AFL get better coverage than that.

Apart from the dedicated small following that each club has, there is little general interest in the Queensland Cup and certainly not on a level where people has knowledge of individual players. Go to the next Broncos game in Brisbane and ask every person who Troy Lindsay is. Less than 5% would be able to tell you. (Lindsay is a Queensland Cup legend - played 300+ games for Redcliffe and won a record number of premierships).

I'm sure it's similar with your NSW Cup clubs. People have enough options without going to games where they don't know the players.

Also remember that News Limited has a vested interest in promoting the NRL rather than an opposition competition like the Queensland Cup.

lturner

Juniors
Because they don't get enough to justify hiring Lang Park. It's at Stockland Park on the Sunshine Coast this year.

Josh, I understand what you are trying to do. However, the practicality is that the Courier-Mail and commercial television give the Queensland Cup close to zero coverage. Newspaper reports are just a few paragraphs extracted from the QRL website. Local club Rugby Union and AFL get better coverage than that.

Apart from the dedicated small following that each club has, there is little general interest in the Queensland Cup and certainly not on a level where people has knowledge of individual players. Go to the next Broncos game in Brisbane and ask every person who Troy Lindsay is. Less than 5% would be able to tell you. (Lindsay is a Queensland Cup legend - played 300+ games for Redcliffe and won a record number of premierships).

I'm sure it's similar with your NSW Cup clubs. People have enough options without going to games where they don't know the players.

Also remember that News Limited has a vested interest in promoting the NRL rather than an opposition competition like the Queensland Cup.

Actually I think you're underestimating the support for the second tier level at least in NSW. This year I've been to a NSW Cup game where there was over 2000 people in the crowd....and I've also been at an NRL game where there have been only 6000 or so.

I'd go to NRL2 games for sure.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Actually I think you're underestimating the support for the second tier level at least in NSW. This year I've been to a NSW Cup game where there was over 2000 people in the crowd....and I've also been at an NRL game where there have been only 6000 or so.

I'd go to NRL2 games for sure.

Wow 2000. Most games you could count arms and legs and you still wouldn't get 2000 and the absolute smallest NRL crowd has been around 6K. Leave the Qld cup as it is. Screw around with the other comps as much as you want.

flippikat

Bench
On GF Day - play the NSW Cup premiers v Qld Cup premiers

Yep, that;d be a good start.. then eventually you could widen it to 4 teams

Semifinals (weekend before NRL Grand Final)
A: NZ Champions v NSW cup champions
B: PNG Champions or a Pacific club champion v Qld cup champions

Grand final:
Winner of A v Winner of B