What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW

Nutz

Bench
@RHYTHM AND STEALTH
@macnaz

Has anyone got any info on how the girls are going for the upcoming NRLW season?

I know we lost our fav DalyM winger of the year Jakiya Whitfeld to the Nth Queensland which was so disappointing.
[The girls team is still called the North Queensland Cowboys NRLW side :) ]

We have had several extensions well ahead of the club’s second season like Rikeya Horne, Losana Lutu and Salma Nour - 2 more seasons.
Eliza Siilata, Jessica Kennedy and Imogen Gobran have all penned 12-month extensions.

The signing of former Parramatta Eels forward, Amelia Huakau (Née Mafi), on a two-year deal is a huge boost.

I'm rapped that Rikeya Horne is secured. She's the very recognisable blonde centre who is the backline go-to player.

Losana Lutu is the versatile ⅝/lock who has played U19 for NSW.

Many learned people have tipped her for a big 2024. She was hampered by injury last year but appears to be full steam ahead.

Wests Tigers 2024 NRLW Squad

Amelia Huakau
2024 - 2025
Botille Vette-Welsh
Brooke Talataina
Christian Pio
2024 - 2025
Claudia Nielsen
Ebony Prior
Eliza Siilata
Emily Curtain
Harmony Crichton
2024 - 2025 - 2026
Imogen Gobran
Jessica Kennedy
Kezie Apps
2024 - 2025
Leianne Tufuga
Losana Lutu
2024 - 2025 - 2026
Najvada George
Natasha Penitani
Pauline Piliae-Rasabale2024
Rikeya Horne
2024 - 2025
Salma Nour
2024 - 2025
Sarah Togatuki
2024 - 2025
Sophie Curtain
Tess Staines
Tiana Lee-Thorne

2024 gains:
Claudia Nielsen, Natasha Penitani, Harmony Crichton, Amelia Huakau (Eels).

2024 losses:
Jakiya Whitfeld (Cowboys).

Development players (2023)
Brooke Talataina, Iemaima Etuale, Jae Patu, Tiana-Lee Thorne.

Off contract players (2023):
Bianca Bennetts, Folau Vaki, Hope Tevaga, Josie Lenaz, Rebecca Pollard, Taylor Osborne.

Losing only Jakiya Whitfeld is awesome. We should be more cohesive this year.

A lot of these girls have more than 1 mid-week job to make ends meet so they are doing it tough and have my respect.

Our first game is against Canberra Raiders and is televised on Foxtel as well as free to air Channel 9!
For the remainder of the girls games I'll put them in the Televised Games thread shortly.

SmartSelect_20240313-164429_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I had trouble finding this thread. Could we possibly pin it please macca. They only have one thread so I think we owe it to the girls to have it more visible. It will also encourage members to take an interest in the NRLW.

Im a little worried that the NRLW this season is going to be mud. Actually i will rephrase that, i think the start is going to be Mud.

Womans Club footy starts next month but because these Girls are contracted, i dont think they are allowed to play so come the Early rounds of the NRLW i think the first few rounds will be a bit stale with match fitness and combinations lacking.

A lot of the girls havent played since September. That will be 10 Months between competition games. Thats a massive break. Origin is even before Round 1.

As far as the squad goes. I think its a decent squad but i dont see them getting in the Top 4. Once injuries hit, the depth is not really there imo

Nutz

Bench
Im a little worried that the NRLW this season is going to be mud. Actually i will rephrase that, i think the start is going to be Mud.

Womans Club footy starts next month but because these Girls are contracted, i dont think they are allowed to play so come the Early rounds of the NRLW i think the first few rounds will be a bit stale with match fitness and combinations lacking.

A lot of the girls havent played since September. That will be 10 Months between competition games. Thats a massive break. Origin is even before Round 1.

As far as the squad goes. I think its a decent squad but i dont see them getting in the Top 4. Once injuries hit, the depth is not really there imo
Cheers mate. A couple of the girls, co-captain Kezie Apps and teammate Leianne Tufuga have signed up for the Queensland Rugby League BMD competition.
A bit of a stop gap before the NRLW comp starts.
When you say club footy are you referring to the Harvey Norman Women's Premiership? That comp starts 6th July.

Round 1.
SmartSelect_20240321-042732_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Or are you referring to the.....

The Harvey Norman Women's National Championships on the Gold Coast [an opportunity for aspiring players to showcase themselves to talent scouts.
The tournament kicks off on Thursday, March 21 at 9.30am and will conclude on Sunday, March 24. The final day of matches will see games start at 9am with the last games kicking off at 11am. All times are in AEST.
All matches will be played at Pizzey Park in in Miami, Queensland.

If there are no trials or comps for the girls prior to the NRLW season that is flaunting with sustaining injuries as players aren't contact fit.
The big problem I see is most of them work during the week and play on the weekends which means they're really not fulltime athletes. Maybe contractual restrictions, if any, on them should be lifted.

@RHYTHM AND STEALTH

Last edited:
Cheers mate. A couple of the girls, co-captain Kezie Apps and teammate Leianne Tufuga have signed up for the Queensland Rugby League BMD competition.
A bit of a stop gap before the NRLW comp starts.
When you say club footy are you referring to the Harvey Norman Women's Premiership? That comp starts 6th July.

Round 1.
View attachment 85400

Or are you referring to the.....

The Harvey Norman Women's National Championships on the Gold Coast [an opportunity for aspiring players to showcase themselves to talent scouts.
The tournament kicks off on Thursday, March 21 at 9.30am and will conclude on Sunday, March 24. The final day of matches will see games start at 9am with the last games kicking off at 11am. All times are in AEST.
All matches will be played at Pizzey Park in in Miami, Queensland.

If there are no trials or comps for the girls prior to the NRLW season that is flaunting with sustaining injuries as players aren't contact fit.
The big problem I see is most of them work during the week and play on the weekends which means they're really not fulltime athletes. Maybe contractual restrictions, if any, on them should be lifted.

@RHYTHM AND STEALTH
I meant HNWP footy.

Massive gap for any womens footy

Nutz

Bench
I'm watching the Wests Tigers Tarsha Gale side do battle with the Sea Eagles.... Gee it's painful.
Manly are showing why they are in the playoffs. They are so much a better coached, better conditioned and more skillful side compared to us.
I've said it too many times I know but the girls need smaller/lighter footballs. They can't pass or kick what looks like a besser brick.

Omin 0-0 Close game :)
23min 0-30
25min 0-34

That's it, I cant watch anymore of this kids stuff.
I will support pathways in both men and women but these kids are getting TV coverage and we only get 1 or 2 Jersey Flegg games or a couple of matts and Ball games :(
I wonder how many people watch this.
I'd rather watch the girls in major games in all comps like a final series but give more tv games to better comps.

Last edited:

Latest posts