What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SJ.

JJ

Immortal
Lachlan Ilias now available - weird that Souths have gone cold on him so quickly, looks a good player

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Bit of scurrilous forum gossip...I personally doubt it will happen, but if the Warriors don't come to the party with a bigger offer for SJ for 2025 (he's been on modest money since 2022 and there's no suggestion it will increase) he might be off to the Roosters. Keary won't be around next year.

Rumours have hit the media….

Dont suppose you can copy txt in? appears to be paywalled

Agree its gotta be massively unlikely given he's often talked about being home as a catalyst for his turnaround. But then again, our Fish pick up showed how quickly (and quietly) things can change...

Uncle Nick gets what he wants!
Not sure SJ has that many years left, they could spend the same 1-2 years developing a player or steala younger half from someone.

I wanted him gone in 2018 (I was at the final against Penrith) and didn't want him back in 2022. It was great to be proven wrong about him coming back.

Moving forward, he's got 10 days off to rest and that's good news.
Not sure 10 days will help with archiles strain to much, due to tendons needing a lot longer to recover vs muscle strains.
I just hope he is training with the team.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
All the things you guys are saying about him wanting to stay in NZ are true, and it might even come down to the wife refusing to leave...but he is absolutely considering it. We all have an ego, SJ certainly does, and the unwillingness of the Warriors to match other offers coming in will be a factor.

Uncle Nick gets what he wants!
Not sure SJ has that many years left, they could spend the same 1-2 years developing a player or steala younger half from someone.
I was going to agree re: invest in a younger player... but then I remembered they bought Cronk at he back end of his career, and at a similar age SJ would be if he jumped ship next year. Not suggesting SJ would have Cronk's impact, but it showed the Rooster's aren't against buying interim solutions.

For me, the question is how he'd fit alongside Walker? Cronk and Keary were a good fit... Cronk ran the ship and Keary jumped in when needed with short side plays etc.

But I dont see the same fit with SJ and Walker. Both like playing on-the-ball and SJ is, unfortunately, no longer the running threat he used to be which IMO limits his value as a 6.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I don’t think he’s playing well

I know he’s supposedly nursing an injury, but that doesn’t really seem to be the problem either?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I don’t think he’s playing well

I know he’s supposedly nursing an injury, but that doesn’t really seem to be the problem either?
I don’t think he’s getting much help. TMM managed to look good against Souffs (who doesn’t) but he’s conpletely anonymous otherwise.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Correct, he is barely receiving the ball to do anything with currently, I don’t seem to recall any sort of play where you see CNK chiming in to try and create something down that side
We were getting that with Metcalf. What’s changed? Is SJ nursing injury so much he can’t develop combos with TMM?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
We were getting that with Metcalf. What’s changed? Is SJ nursing injury so much he can’t develop combos with TMM?
I didn’t see much of the Warriors early games, were they linking up directly a lot ? Has been refreshing this year to see Brooks and DCE passing to each other and roving around a bit, TMM seems like he is consigned to a small corridor

I didn’t see much of the Warriors early games, were they linking up directly a lot ? Has been refreshing this year to see Brooks and DCE passing to each other and roving around a bit, TMM seems like he is consigned to a small corridor
Yes thats what I'm seeing too. Its very much the Penrith way isnt it, with Luai rarely venturing outside his lane, except when he's turned back inside and starts skipping across field.

Only time I've seen them play differently is when Luai isnt there, like the GF when Cogger came on, played both sides of the ruck and pushed Cleary out wider. That seemed to work alright.

Latest posts