What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup

Tigerm

First Grade

Looking forward to the two tall wingers playing, Lobb and Alaimalo.

Also,

Gordon Whippy.
Career games for Wests in #NSWCup from the 1-17 named

Jake Simpkin - 21
Justin Matamua - 20
James Valevatu - 7
Tallyn Da Silva - 3
Kit Laulilii - 3
Other 12 players - 0

7 players making NSW/Qld Cup debut.
NBWT
Age this year

1. Mason (19)
2. Alaimalo (29)
3. Garner (23)
4. Casey (24)
5. Lobb (22)
6. Matai (20)
7. Ryan (22)
8. Porter (27)
9. Simpkin (23)
10. Finau (22)
11. Vaihu (21)
12. Sukkar (20)
13. Matamua (21)

14. Valevatu (23)
15. Da Silva (19)
16. Laulilii (19)
17. Whippy (23)
——————-
Young side with not a lot of experience re depth if the shit hits the fan?
Reality setting in.

Last edited:

Perth Tiger

Bench
Geez I should hope this cup game is not a precursor. I know this team is missing a few but geez they look poor

Nutz

Bench
Latu Fainu playing his first game.
I hope Solomon Alaimalo is over his quad injury and carves up.

Tigerm

First Grade
NBWT
Confirmed Wests #NSWCup

1. H. Mason
2. S. Alaimalo
19. D. Casey
4. S. Vaihu
5. A. Lobb
6. I. Matai
7. L. Fainu
8. R. Porter
9. J. Simpkin (c)
10. N. Lui-Toso
11. A. Kepaoa
12. T. Sukkar
13. J. Matamua

14. J. Valevatu, 15. B. Naden, 16. K. Laulilii, 17. J. Finau

18. G. Whippy

Latu Fainu a confirmed starter, he makes up a spine containing 2 18yo’s, a 19yo and a 22yo.

Brent Naden returns from a long layoff off the bench.

Nick Lui-Toso plays his first game for the club.

Tigerm

First Grade
NBWT
Solomon Alaimalo has been very impressive today for Wests.

Excellent carries, good decision making defensively and defused everything the Jets have thrown at him in the air.

Lot of Ken Maumalo to him with ball in hand.
——————-
As I don’t have access to the game, this is good to hear, I think he could be a goodun for us.

Nutz

Bench
NBWT
Solomon Alaimalo has been very impressive today for Wests.

Excellent carries, good decision making defensively and defused everything the Jets have thrown at him in the air.

Lot of Ken Maumalo to him with ball in hand.
——————-
As I don’t have access to the game, this is good to hear, I think he could be a goodun for us.
I started giving a summary in pathways, I didn't realise this thread was going sorry.
Solomon Alaimalo played very well and is an imposing athlete. He did make a lousy attempt to tackle a Jets player in the corner just 3 minutes into the game which ked to a try. His only problem is he's still getting accustomed to the new code. It's why he's being held back imo. He also favours that right knee which seems to hinder him somewhat. Apart from that he showed why he's a well regarded rugby player.
I'm impressed with Latu Fainu. He's all energy and scored a meat pie as did Justin Matamua.
Lobb scored a nice try and is a solid goal kicker.
Justin was solid in D but he didn't play that classical lock that we want from him. He should be running a lot of fwd attacking plays.
These players will get better and will only add good quality depth to the NRL side.
We were the better side coming home strongly but the usual dumbass errors ruined a good day.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
I started giving a summary in pathways, I didn't realise this thread was going sorry.
Solomon Alaimalo played well. Only problem is he's still getting accustomed to the new code. It's why he's being held back imo.
I'm impressed with Latu Fainu. He's all energy and scored a meat pie as did Justin Matamua.
Lobb scored a nice try and is a solid goal kicker.
These players will get better and will only add good quality depth to the NRL side.
We were the better side coming home strongly but the usual dumbass errors ruined a good day.
How did Matamua go?

He seems to have been forgotten, the talk was, he was on the outter? Not sure if true or why.

Nutz

Bench
Sorry Tm, I just ammended my first post.
He was dissapointing but solid if that makes sense.
For him to make it back in the NRL he needs to be a ball playing lock role....that ain't happening.

Tigerm

First Grade
Sorry Tm, I just ammended my first post.
He was dissapointing but solid if that makes sense.
For him to make it back in the NRL he needs to be a ball playing lock role....that ain't happening.
Cheers.
That’s a shame, though he’s still young. If he wants it bad enough.

Nutz

Bench
Is it really hot and humid in Western Suburbs today.
Our guys looked totally gassed out there.
If you think I sound disgruntled, well I am.
We had a lot of top players out there but the problem is they tried too hard as individuals and not as a team. Very rarely were there raids across the backline. If Heath Mason gets the ball it dies right there. Wingers caught colds even in the heat.
Anyway, the player who would slip straight into the NRL right now if required is Latu Fainu, all class from the little fella.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Is it really hot and humid in Western Suburbs today.
Our guys looked totally gassed out there.
If you think I sound disgruntled, well I am.
We had a lot of top players out there but the problem is they tried too hard as individuals and not as a team. Very rarely were there raids across the backline. If Heath Mason gets the ball it dies right there. Wingers caught colds even in the heat.
Anyway, the player who would slip straight into the NRL right now if required is Latu Fainu, all class from the little fella.
It’s amazing, for years we only had Brooks as our 7, now we have so many, we won’t be able to keep them all:(

Nutz

Bench
It’s amazing, for years we only had Brooks as our 7, now we have so many, we won’t be able to keep them all:(
Well they're under contract. If we start winning more games than not, players will hopefully buy in and cover injuries.
Our rebuild of a new culture and club will be three years imo.
In this first year Benji needs to select in form players so as to keep his promises. That is also those who are training well.
We have to have it all sorted by the time Luai gets here. If you watch Luai play, he gets involved when Penrith are on the move. If Penrith are stalling he goes quiet. That's my observation of watching his old game highlights. If we play like last night, organized and up tempo then Luai will play well.
I say 3 three years because our big signing fwds are off contract or about to.
It will be 2026 imo when we are stable and if we resign/retain the best and maybe a couple of top ups.
I think Benji needs a top prop, I'm unsure if Miller is going to be our man to partner Stef....see how he develops over the next 2 seasons but I have doubts.