What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Game II team announced

Mr Saab

Referee
Your harsh on Moggy, he was f**king outstanding for QLD in those 2 games, scored a couple of cracking tries, i thought in his appearences he was amongst QLD's best.

He did play well, but even you can admit that Mogg was not exactly Gasnier, Cooper, or Tahu. How QLD won game 3 2006 is still a mystery after everything that went against them

Big Pete

Referee
Oh don't get me wrong he played excellently for Queensland but he was hardly a 'superstar' as Knightmare is making out. I could also say the same thing about Clinton Schifcofske but I also know a whole Raiders board who'd kick my ass. :p

MacDougall

First Grade
Haha poor Brett Hodgson. The two biggest thing he'll be remembered by are that pass and Tallis throwing him over the sideline instead of his 30 points vs. North Queensland in 2005 prelim final and being one of the best fullbacks of his era.

However. The teams a joke. Jamie Soward by all rights should be furious as should Campese (who was better than Wallace in game one). Matt Cooper would have to be pretty cut as well. What's with all the Manly players all of a sudden? Glenn Stewart pffffffft.

RedVfaithful

Juniors
I cant believe people are saying cooper played crap last year, he was the only player who could score a try in the last game, and he shut down inglis.

Gould said on the weekend Cooper would be the first person he would choose, he is fast and the best defensive centre.
and to not even make it ahead of josh morris. F*UCK OFF

Also what does hindmarsh and brett morris have to do to get a run

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Hindmarsh is a great player but are you hurt by his absence? Second row is not NSW problem. You have it all over QLD in the forwards. I would suggest bar Petero v Kite, and maybe Smith v Farrah, your pack is far superior. How much trouble is Nate Myles or Sam Thaiday going to give NSW. Almost certainly none. I believe you have it all over QLD with the second row you selected as it stands. I wouldn't select Cooper without B Morris - but then I would have selected the both of them. Josh Morris is a great talent and will probably play Origin surely within the next few years as will his brother.

Your problem is the backline. Bar Hayne, what NSW player would make the QLD backline if Hodges was not injured? No Hornby and Soward combination. Joke. Those two should have selected and if not - wheres Mullen? Cooper, Morris, Soward and Hornby have a great attacking combination. Just put Soward between a BIG centre and a BIG winger and there is no defensive liability. But Instead NSW went with a dwarf winger and no fullback. Sure - Williams and Lyon may do some great attack - but it is questionable to me how effective they will be defensively. Gidley - *shakes head* - how is it he got the captaincy? Is there a rule created by an A Johns legacy that NSW has to be captained by a nova castrian?

NSW IMO need a halfback who is attacking and probing, a fullback who plays positional footy, and an attacking combination. Creagh, Hornby, Cooper, Morris, Soward will continue to cause problems this year and into the finals bar injury. Why NSW didn't goto them is beyond me.

That said - Barrett will probably go better than Campese. I just hope your attacking raids aren't just based on Hayne, Jennings or Lyon individual side steps of brilliance and are cohesive and probing.

Sure Smith, Inglis and Slater are great individuals in their own half - but funny how they find each other with inside or flick passes and score tries time and time again. Combination perhaps?

Last edited:

Juniors
Your kidding if you think cooper should be there...Bring in Monaghan in the centres and Grothe on the wing..Why do we need defensive centres for? WHat we need is attack and players that can finish plays not hogs like cooper...He is so overrated along with Barrett and Watmough..

Hayne should be Fullback and Gidley on the bench. I would also have Josh morris ahead of cooper.

Serc

First Grade
Gidley - *shakes head* - how is it he got the captaincy? Is there a rule created by an A Johns legacy that NSW has to be captained by a nova castrian?

Who would you select instead? Gallen is the style of captain I prefer, but i know i'd get shouted down by all and sundry if I actually nominated him!

Cooper, Morris, Soward and Hornby have a great attacking combination. Just put Soward between a BIG centre and a BIG winger and there is no defensive liability. But Instead NSW went with a dwarf winger and no fullback.

NSW IMO need a halfback who is attacking and probing, a fullback who plays positional footy, and an attacking combination.

I smell a Gidley/Newcastle hate agenda here...he was great in game 3 last year and for most of game 1 this year (bar those surprising mistakes that we all saw), 'positional footy'? LOL

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
For the last 3 years we've been hearing all about how the XXXX Dream Team are going to wipe the floor with us all series, yet the deciding match has always been a close one. In 2006 they won the decider by 2, in 2007, by 4, last year, by 6 and Tony Archer playing as the 14th man.

I think if the Blues can win in Sydney, Game 3 is by no means a foregone conclusion. NSW have an alright record at Suncorp since the 2003 redevelopment, it doesn't hold the fear for them that the old Lang Park did in the 80's.

I agree with what you're saying... but here's the stats at Suncorp since 03

03 Game 1 - NSW 25-12
03 Game 3 - QLD 36-6
04 Game 2 - QLD 22-18
05 Game 1 - QLD 24-20
05 Game 3 - NSW 32-10
06 Game 2 - QLD 30-6
07 Game 1 - QLD 25-18
07 Game 3 - NSW 18-4
08 Game 2 - QLD 30-0

Pretty good record for QLD.... with a few floggings there as well. Also in saying this I realise our record at ANZ is much worse. I like the fact how the series is "evened up" by the Melbourne game.

Patsy

Juniors
Cooper crap last series :crazy: you have no idea!

he was ordinary - if he was as good as you guys are making out why isn't he in the side

What a stupid comment, how the hell does he prove him self in origin etc if they don't pick him????

finals footy first - that is the way the selectors think - just had to listen to daley last night when quizzed about soward

so no it is not a stupid comment

Moffo

Referee
how many penalties will gallen, o'donnell and watmough give away between them? should be a tab sportsbet market

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Who would you select instead? Gallen is the style of captain I prefer, but i know i'd get shouted down by all and sundry if I actually nominated him!

I smell a Gidley/Newcastle hate agenda here...he was great in game 3 last year and for most of game 1 this year (bar those surprising mistakes that we all saw), 'positional footy'? LOL

Hate Newcatle? No I enjoy watching Newcastle and have no hatred of them. I loved the 1997 GF final result. Wanted Parra to win in 2001 tbh. If I were too dislike any team it would be Manly.

Gidley - hatred? No I have enjoyed his moments and have no ill feeling to him. If I were to enjoy watching someone get pummelled it would be Anasta.

To have the surname Gidley appears that you will be overrated for some few sheer moments of brilliance on attack and everyone turning a blind eye to your weak defence.

Admittedly its hard to find a captain in that team selected - but I'm not a selector. Does Gidley have the respect of the team that Danny B had? Does he provide from full back the direction that Joey did? Its hard to captain a team from fullback or wing - I have no doubt. So why do it?

Maybe they could have taken the Maroon approach - name your captain first and fill in the team around them. Qld's captain is a bad defender too.

Gidley's positional play appears poor to me because the ammount of times opposing kickers find grass and how he can't appease the damage from line breaks. Yes Inglis is fast - but a good fullback would allow for that and be closer to his side on the angle. Luke Patton never struck me as a fast runner - but what he lacks in pace he makes up for with being in the right place. Game 3 was a long time ago and I do not know which game one you watched - but it was through different eyes.

What I can tell you - Queenslanders used to be worried about how they would get around let alone what attack was brought from the likes of ET, Brasher, and Minnecello. Gidley on attack doesn't strike the same fear does it? Its about as threatening as Patton - but with less defence.

BTW Serc - I would have been happier with Mullen being selected than Wallace if this allieviates your anti-newcastle paranoia. In fact I think my Hornby Soward idea is radical - I bemused that Wallace is considered better than Mullen. Mullen could be the next A Johns - and I hope for the game he is, because the nrl just isnt as strong as the NSWRL was. I actually like watching extremely talented players - respect them more so obviously when they aren't playing against my team - hence why I know how good Johns and Daley were - and I think there is a shortage of great playmakers in the comp at the moment.

Thurston - superstar
Prince - superstar
Lockyer - media superstar
Cronk - solid (will be a star?)
Orford - past his best?
Wallace - nothing special
Pearce - not that special
Marshall - depends which one turns upto play
Barrett - solid
Hornby - solid
Soward - (could be a superstar)
Kimmorley - club superstar

Lets compare this to 1991

Lewis
Lyons
Hasler
Daley
Stuart
Langer
Hagan
Walters
Toovey
Lamb
Field
Langmack
Simon
Peter Jackson
This list is not exhaustive....

The same can be done for most positions.

I think the talent pool is getting shorter. I don't know why we need to "expand" the game with more teams. Many club sides can't find a solid halfback. And we watch the media talk up average halves at best as something special.

Serc - Mullen could be great. I hope for the games sake he is. Gidley will never reach that level from what I've seen of him. He's no Belcher, Jack, Slater, Brasher, Minnecello or ET at fullback. How many of these players captained an origin team?

Last edited:

Hanscholo

Bench
To be honest if anyone was to miss out I thought it would be Wallace, his form, apart from one or two decent games for the broncos and a good performance in city country has hardly been up to club standard let alone SOO. And its not like he has some massive future as the NSW 7 and deserves the investment, he is a nothing player. Campese on the other hand, probably didnt play as badly as Wallace in game one, yet is turfed out the front door after one game. They think they are going to show up Lockyer by picking Barrett? lol...ok.

2-0

Dazraider

Juniors
barrett is 1thousand percent better when he plays origin,but really campese got hard done by as he tackled his ass off in game 1 and it was the forwards that got smashed thats why he couldnt do much as wallace too.
really should have TLL in straight away and hindmarsh should of been recalled if they recall barrett

Latest posts