What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Game II team announced

The problem is Gidley's "style" just isn't what the Blues need at fullback. Sure he works hard and makes metres around the ruck, but that's not enough. He has no X-factor at all. Hayne would offer more at fullback.

It boggles the mind when I hear journalists putting Gidley in the top 3 players in the game. Although it is entertaining to try to see Sydney journo's talk him up, just because NSW has no superstar players at the moment (except for possibly Hayne). Gidley wouldn't be in the top 10 best. And yet he's captaining NSW

Best players in the game

1. Jonathon Thurston
2. Billy Slater
3. Greg Inglis
4. Scott Prince
5. Petero Civoneceva
6. Brett Stewart
7. Cameron Smith
8. Jarryd Hayne
9. Karmichael Hunt
10. Michael Jennings

There's at least 10 better.

There can never be a list of the top ten. You could be number one one week and number thirty the next without much change of personal form.

Mr Saab

Referee
Disagree with that Gidley was the best option. what about Kite or Jamie Lyon given the captaincy as they both been there before

And you wonder why NSW are laughed at....with stupid ideas like that!
Kite is on the field for half the game
Lyon didnt even care if he was picked to play 6 weeks ago.

Shorty

Staff member
This has got to be one of the stupidest and overtly biased posts I have read in a long time.

If you had watched Kurt week in week out you would know that he is thoroughly deserved of his Blues jumper and the capaincy and also how out of character those mistakes were. The whole NSW side were thrown together for 10 days and everyone expected them to be relaxed enough with each others games to be able to play their own natural ones, not very realistic is it? Kurt's biggest fault is trying to do too much when the chips are down and due to some other under performing team mates the chips were well and truely down.

Barret wont be the savior but he sure as sh*t will help in settling the team and directing the ruck. His style of game will take pressure off NSW 1-7-9 and allow them to relax into their game. This is exactly what Campese or Wallace failed to bring to the team in game 1 so one of those 2 had to go.
Well you're right to an extent, but do you really think that Barrett is going to be beneficial in the long run when once again a halves pairing is changed?

Why didn't they choose him in the first place? Instead of bashing yet another player's confidence.
I think they should have kept Campese - Yes the halves weren't effective in game 1 but really NSW's best were probably Wing and Hayne.

That's a winger and someone from the bench:?
The lack of any other decent options virtually handed Gidley the captaincy.

The fact that Bailey was the only other player in the team to be captain of his side ( and co-captain at that) meant that there was no other real option, especially after Gallens outburst.

Where as you look at the QLD team and they have 5 blokes who captain their club side and would all do fine jobs at captaining the state side as well.

Did Gidley deserve to be captain? No.

Was he the best option? Yes.
They should have taken a lot more consideration into the captaincy.
Because naming Gidley as captain was not only detrimental to the team but to Gidley himself who was under too much pressure.

saint-colesy

Juniors
I understand all that, but there really wasnt anyone else due to the inexperience and lack of a general leader in the team.

Maybe thats why a Hindmarsh or a Cooper should of been picked.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Well you're right to an extent, but do you really think that Barrett is going to be beneficial in the long run when once again a halves pairing is changed?

Why didn't they choose him in the first place? Instead of bashing yet another player's confidence.
I think they should have kept Campese - Yes the halves weren't effective in game 1 but really NSW's best were probably Wing and Hayne.

That's a winger and someone from the bench:?

You're spot on, they should have selected him from game 1 as throwing 3 rookies and a 5 game "veteran" in the crucial 1-6-7-9 positions was fraut with danger. These positions make or break your team and having such inexperience there lead to massive indecision and lack of direction.

Qld does alright with an oldie like Lockyer at 5/8 so having Barrett there is not going to stunt NSW future prospects as Wallace will develope better with him there. Unfortantly NSW seemd to have mostly wasted their opportunities to blood young halves alongside veterans as those vets are reaching end of footy life.

It was a tough call but it needed to be made.

GB!

Juniors
i think he has two injuries?
they just said it on fox sports news

good for monas

saint-colesy

Juniors
Even better for NSW too, now we just need Lyon to pull out and get Joshy Morris in and i'll be happy with the team.

saint-colesy

Juniors
Did you not watch game 1?

Jennings did SFA in both attack and defence, we look much better now that Monas is in the side.

Shorty

Staff member
Jennings did SFA because he wasn't getting quality ball.
It isn't a good thing for NSW especially as Josh Morris would have been a far better choice.

Shorty

Staff member
LOL Rocks in your head.
I'm much more relaxed with Monaghan in instead of Jennings.

sharko

Juniors
Barrett chosen for his good kicking game and a passing game that will give his outside men some quality ball which Campese failed to do in SOO1.
Big kicks from Barrett, good chase and 20 mins into the secons half the Qld forwrads are looking for breathers and only luck and the referee and Gidley keep them in it till a lucky try at the end.

NSW will win and run over the top of Qld by middle of the second half!

NSW 13+.

Downie

Guest Moderator
Probably would have preferred Cooper in the centres than Monas (who I reckon should be on the wing already anyway). Might see him and Hayne mix it up a bit.

Latest posts