What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Under 16's and 18's 2012

ranga

Juniors
It's easy to say that size past experience shouldn't come into it although they are selecting a team to win the match. Hence versatility and utility value will come into it and size will definitely be a factor also as QLD traditionally pick big sizes. I hope and don't think past experience comes into it as the selection panel views each games and awards a tick to those who are deemed to have excelled. Then choose the make up of the teams based on overall performance and suitability to win the match. If this was a merit team and didn't play anyone like the NYC team of the year then I agree pick those that have had great years. But it's not, difficulty is also that teams like parra now play their best up in NYC from day one so winning the comp or indeed playing well might not be enough as someone in a 20s squad (and I don't think it should guarantee automatic selection) might be at a higher level. So guys like the parra players, fualolo from the dogs, haika from manly etc haven't had the chance to excel or be dominant in their own age group.

As scorcher said would be alot easy to debate if everyone wanted to put up their teams unfortunately very few have.

1 Tyrone Phillips souths
2Lavaka panthers
3 Kenner melbourne
4 Haika manly
5 Simona tigers
6 Moses tigers
7 Walker souths
8 trobjovic manly
9 Cherrington tigers
10 frazer eels
11 Pauli eels
12 fualalo dogs
13 cartright panthers
14 kamoto eels
15 tanginoa eels
16 Funaki tigers
17 one of the lolos souths

Tucantango

Juniors
fair enough. Yeh i was just justifying my selection choices, its easy for tuc to criticise why some one should not be chosen, but id like to see him come up with the wingers he would choose!

Reamer,

I did put forward my team, however I did so in the inextricably linked 'Junior Reps' thread at #250.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
NSW Under 18 team announcement
NSWRL MEDIA

4/06/2012 9:57:06 AM

The following players have been selected to represent the NSW Under 18’s v QLD Under 18’s at ANZ Stadium on Wednesday 13 June 2012 prior to Game Two of the Harvey Norman State of Origin series.
PLAYER - CLUB
Clinton Gutherson – Manly Sea Eagles
Alex Johnston – South Sydney Rabbitohs
Aaron Gray – South Sydney Rabbitohs
Richard Kennar – Melbourne Storm
Tyrone Phillips – South Sydney Rabbitohs
Mitchell Moses – Balmain Tigers
Shannon Crook – Illawarra Steelers
Frazer Masinamua – Parramatta Eels
Manaia Cherrington - Balmain Tigers
Jake Trbojevic – Manly Sea Eagles
Kelepi Tanginoa – Parramatta Eels
Danny Fualalo – Canterbury Bulldogs
Dean Britt – Melbourne Storm
Bryce Cartwright – Penrith Panthers
Pauli Pauli – Parramatta Eels
Andrew Chard – Illawarra Steelers
Matthew Lodge – Penrith Panthers

COACH: Garth Brennan – Penrith Panthers
MANAGER: Bob Jones – Sydney Roosters
TRAINER: Leigh Woodbridge – Canberra Raiders
TRAINER: Steve Vidot – Newcastle Knights
PHYSIO/TRAINER: Louisa Cutler – Sydney Roosters
WELFARE OFFICER: Tom Simpson – South Sydney Rabbitohs
Congratulations to all of the boys on their selection and best of luck for the match!

http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=56052&title=nsw-under-18-team-announcement

Last edited:

Scorcher

Juniors
So club reps are

Souths 3
Parra 3
Balmain 2
Manly 2
Melbourne 2
Illawarra 2
Penrith 2
Canterbury 1

How Balmain Minor Premiers, SG Ball Champions, National champions get the same amount of players in as Illawarra 10th SG Ball astounds me.

s1ng0709

Juniors
Have to agree with you there scorcher, alot of players are also picked just because they play NYC. Just looking at alot of the players, they're coming from teams that are near the bottom of the NYC ladder.

Tucantango

Juniors
Some great selections indeed, however I definitely thought Salesi Funaki deserved his spot! I'm sorry but there are two lads who could have easily been displaced for Funaki.

Given I was the first to pick it in this site :cool::cool:I am happy to see Danny Fualolo being recognised for his hard work over the years. He has a champion mum and dad who will, no doubt, be over the moon with his selection!

Feel sorry for Lavaka too! I went off the boil with toward the end of the season, however his form at the NSWCCC championship was superb! What more does he have to do to get some recognition!

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Feel sorry for Lavaka too! I went off the boil with toward the end of the season, however his form at the NSWCCC championship was superb! What more does he have to do to get some recognition!

He might be rewarded with an Australian Schoolboys jersey ;-)

Scorcher

Juniors

Maybe win a SG Ball and a National Championship, oh that's right not much recognition for that either!!

Scorcher

Juniors
Queensland has picked 4 Canberra and 3 Townsville players which should be a minimum for a team that wins, NSW selectors take note!! Not a bad looking team IMO.

1. Jono Kent (Canberra Raiders)

2. Dwayne Duncan (Redcliffe Dolphins)

3. Connor Broadhurst (Parramatta Eels)

4. Brenko Lee (Canberra Raiders)

5. Soape Palau (Brisbane Broncos)

6. Kodi Nikorima (Brisbane Broncos)

7. Anthony Milford (Canberra Raiders)

8. Lloyd Perrett (Sydney Roosters)

9. Kierran Moseley (Townsville Stingers)

10. Patrick Kaufusi (NQ Cowboys)

11. Tuiala Togitasi (Sydney Roosters)

12. Caleb Timu (Brisbane Broncos)

13. Luke Bateman (Souths Logan Magpies)

14. Daniel Clarke (Townsville Stingers)

15. Patrick Mago (Canberra Raiders)

16. Francis Molo (Brisbane Broncos)

17. Corey Jensen (Townsville Stingers)

drago brelli

Bench
How did Shannon Crook make the team? Drew Hutchinson at the Steelers who some times plays 7 is much better than him. The front rower who got in from Illawarra, Chard, is an excellent player, a future first grader.

R2Coupe

Juniors
It reflects poorly on NSW selectors they couldn't see there way to choose two more players from Balmain. The Tigers beat both Canberra and the Townsville Stingrays to obtain the National Title but all that appears to mean little. Shabby treatment.

possum

Hutchinson is no way a half or 5/8 should put him in the centres and his ball skill is a bit ordinary was not real good at the chs selections until last game against the President side, a bit like the No 3 DJ very lazy player... suprised he got picked at all needs to lift . and as for Bird rumour has it he will be fine and back next year
Cheers

drago brelli

Bench
possum, Bird's juvinile arthritis in one of his knees is no rumour. There was a fund raiser at the Berkeley Sports and Social Club for him at the end of April. I hope it all works out well for him.

stretcher

Juniors
How did Shannon Crook make the team? Drew Hutchinson at the Steelers who some times plays 7 is much better than him. The front rower who got in from Illawarra, Chard, is an excellent player, a future first grader.
How did Matt Lodge make it over Chris Smith who cleaned up some awards at penrith and is playing 20s and lodge is a year young has another chance next year.

Duns Simion

Juniors

Both seem to be great players and after seeing them play a few times, I believe Shannon Crook is by far the more natural half back with a superior kicking game. So I guess that’s what the selectors are looking for when it comes to big games like this.
Shannon well and truly deserves his place in the NSW team.

isaiah

Bench
Queensland has picked 4 Canberra and 3 Townsville players which should be a minimum for a team that wins, NSW selectors take note!! Not a bad looking team IMO.

1. Jono Kent (Canberra Raiders)

2. Dwayne Duncan (Redcliffe Dolphins)

3. Connor Broadhurst (Parramatta Eels)

4. Brenko Lee (Canberra Raiders)

5. Soape Palau (Brisbane Broncos)

6. Kodi Nikorima (Brisbane Broncos)

7. Anthony Milford (Canberra Raiders)

8. Lloyd Perrett (Sydney Roosters)

9. Kierran Moseley (Townsville Stingers)

10. Patrick Kaufusi (NQ Cowboys)

11. Tuiala Togitasi (Sydney Roosters)

12. Caleb Timu (Brisbane Broncos)

13. Luke Bateman (Souths Logan Magpies)

14. Daniel Clarke (Townsville Stingers)

15. Patrick Mago (Canberra Raiders)

16. Francis Molo (Brisbane Broncos)

17. Corey Jensen (Townsville Stingers)
are any of these playing u20's this weekemd?

Scorcher

Juniors
Some very odrinary performers out there last night. If you pick 4 or 5 from the best team it gives you a chance, 2 from here there and every where makes it difficult. Lesson learned.

fortae

Bench
The Balmain boys were very poor defensively, but I think the coach has to put his hand up not seeing the obvious problem up against Timu and switching a more capable defender in Crook to the left. Moses must have had over 10 missed or ineffective tackles and Cherrington wouldn't have been far behind. He was a passenger early in the second half when Qld rolled down field.

The coach has to also put his hand up for the use of Cartwright and shifting Crook into hooker in the second half ... NSW had already scored off two pinpoint bombs from Crook but in key sets late in the game he was doing the passing and finish to sets were terrible. Crook got one more chance to kick and he got it right again ... Kennar and Phillips just couldn't come up with it.

There were other strange things including the use of Chard only at the end of the game, when better players should have been on the field ... the amount of time Britt was on the bench too. Ball continually going to Moses on the left when Kennar looked the most dangerous player out wide. Gray blew a big chance not passing to his winger on the last tackle.

All those things meant a lot more than where players came from ...