What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ coaches - where are they?

playdaball

Bench
There are so many NZ players now in the NRL, why is it that not too many carry on and coach?

In the NRL system at the moment we have Stacey, Kearney, Cayless - not sure about KIDwell now. The NZRL cannot find decent NZ coaches so may have to open up to Aussies.

The same applies in SL.

Locals now not given a chance?

Why don't Nz'ers coach?

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
1474013166326.jpg

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Comes back to the same issue we have with player professionalism imo- the lack of a quality system in NZ compared to Aus.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I feel coaches don't necessarily need to be an ex professional. They need to work their way up.
From what I know, Jones and Cayless have been/are better prepared to be an NRL coach than either Kearney or Kidwell. Kearney has never achieved anything on his own merit, assistant under Bellamy and then partnered with Bennett. Look at his record on his own.

Kidwell, did he have any coaching experience before taking over the kiwis?

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Scratch that, hadn't realized Kidwell coached the Rabbits under 20s to Minor Premiership and the GF (although loss)

Iafeta

Referee
For players, they generally get taken into clubs at say age 15 and mentored through. They're not giving up work to do so. For coaches, they're weighing up whether to try to come through the ranks on minimal coin, versus a stable job. I always think you'll readily find more players than coaches because of the opportunity cost of what they are giving up.

I think a lot of NZ based people who want to coach in football often skew towards union. Even with the NPC etc, there are a lot more semi pro/pro opportunities to trial themselves in.

playdaball

Bench
Graham Lowe established fairly early that he was not going to be a great player so moved to coaching - do we see that happen now?
Bluey played to Auckland level and was never going to be a Kiwi. He followed in his fathers footsteps and got into coaching. He was successful with Mt Albert and Hibiscus Coast, the NZ coaching policy meant that he got the Kiwi gig.
Frank Endacott played to club level and dedicated himself to coaching.

Are the pathways still there now to do that?

Rich102

Staff member
I think the training of coaches in NZ is well behind Australia. I don't know about the UK.
There are a lot of resources and effort put into training coaches in Australia; here it is pretty much look and learn. Plus the opportunity for skilled coaches is far greater in Australia.

I think it would do wonders for the game here if the NZRL were to introduce coaching clinics here. Bring a top coach over and hold a series of clinics around the country.

If a young player is not taught the fundamentals correctly at a young age the chances of them succeeding is reduced. Even now many of our top players have poor technique in certain areas of their game.

The game has moved on a long way from the keen father who coached his son's team. We need top level coaches. The quality of our top coaches is below the level necessary for our game to progress.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I was keen on both Kidwell and Kearney before they were appointed mainly because they were kiwis. Boy was I wrong about Kidwell. Kearney Im willing to back because he did say it will take some time for him to fix up the Warriors, not in those words but you get what he means.

Anyway I NOW think we do need Aussie coaches. After reviewing 'key is we' and 'trust the process', NZ is lacking in intelligent coaches.

Ricky Stuart gets his teams to play a good style of footy. I think he will be suited to coaching the kiwis.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Ricky Stuart?

Uhmm I guess you could take an all's well that ends Kidwell approach.

But Stuart went from coaching a nigh propless Straya team that lost to NZ, blamed the ref and then started club coaching prop middle third dominantly based and imo overly reliant teams.

The international gig isn't full time intensive. Who are some good retired/quasi retired coaches who want some beer money without week to week NRL grind?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
For players, they generally get taken into clubs at say age 15 and mentored through. They're not giving up work to do so. For coaches, they're weighing up whether to try to come through the ranks on minimal coin, versus a stable job. I always think you'll readily find more players than coaches because of the opportunity cost of what they are giving up.

I think a lot of NZ based people who want to coach in football often skew towards union. Even with the NPC etc, there are a lot more semi pro/pro opportunities to trial themselves in.

Union is an easier pathway for coaches to get started with the competitive and oft elite High School championships. Pretty sure plenty of ex-Leaguies made their way into school 1st xv coaching. On the bonus side, they prolly assist or don't impede in unwanted Union talent heading to NRL based organisations.

Much easier to get a job teaching PE and moving through the rugby union academy systems at highschools.

As has been said...its all about that cash. They also have a tendency not to back their own pathways (or lack there of) after the 2007 shocker. Look at Blackmore (though there might be other factors involved there?).

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Ricky Stuart?

Uhmm I guess you could take an all's well that ends Kidwell approach.

But Stuart went from coaching a nigh propless Straya team that lost to NZ, blamed the ref and then started club coaching prop middle third dominantly based and imo overly reliant teams.

The international gig isn't full time intensive. Who are some good retired/quasi retired coaches who want some beer money without week to week NRL grind?
Yep totally remembered all that you mention and like I said, its the way his teams play that I think would suit us. Thats my pick anyway.

NZ coach? theres no good ones that I can see.

Good thing about picking a current coach as oppose to a retired one, is that they would be up with the play on all things league.

Last edited:

Mighty Ape Man

Juniors
There are so many NZ players now in the NRL, why is it that not too many carry on and coach?

In the NRL system at the moment we have Stacey, Kearney, Cayless - not sure about KIDwell now. The NZRL cannot find decent NZ coaches so may have to open up to Aussies.

The same applies in SL.

Locals now not given a chance?

Why don't Nz'ers coach?
Same question with refs, maybe a lot of the Kiwi players (especially warriors) have seen what it does to the coaches and so say Nah f**k that!

Yeah it's a different game (and I hate suggesting it but here goes) perhaps some coaches from union could assist. Maybe there just aren't that many pathways for league coaches in this country?

#thewarriorpoet

Juniors
If they change the nationality rule what about someone like Justin Morgan... has experience coaching (and seemed to be relatively successful when he coached in England), plus he has experience in nz through his time playing and coaching at the warriors (plus I assume he lives here since he’s always on the sky broadcasts).
Get some assistants around him (Stacey Jones, Nathan Cayless, even Brian McLennan) and he could go well.