What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OFFICIAL New South Wales team, Game 2

betcats

Referee
looking forward to luke o donnel totally loosing the plot and ripping some queensland heads off. We may be a bit light on the bench in terms of props, but i much rather the current forward pack then any pack with jason king and josh perry in it.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
looking forward to luke o donnel totally loosing the plot and ripping some queensland heads off. We may be a bit light on the bench in terms of props, but i much rather the current forward pack then any pack with jason king and josh perry in it.

That's a fair point.

I'd still rather the current forward pack - Waterhouse and + Snowden/Douglas/Mannah.

Mr Saab

Referee
Gidley will start...I'm almost certain of it.

Would not suprise. Bellamy LOVES gidley to the extreme...so much so he put Brett Stewart on the bench in place of him 2 yrs ago

Bellamy has no clue and is not the super coach people thought he was. His rep is further down the toilet than a sh*t by Timmah

Hindmarsh makes his hitups up the middle now a days and has a good offload maybe they are going to play him at prop off the bench? Really he should be starting and trying to play the 80mins, we need his defence.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Yes they have.

MUCH better side - but still fairly mysterious in the prop department...

picking only 2 guys who play prop at club level seems like a recipe for disaster to me. Watch the blues get stuck around the 55-65minute mark with absolutely no go-forward at all. Everyone will bay for the blood of the halves - but in reality they're handcuffed because they got no props to go forward for them.

note for the new selectors in 2011: PICK 4 PROPS PLEASE. It's not rocket science - it's a weekly reality in the NRL. Ask the Tigers how well they went in seasons gone without props. 4 props is the standard, and in the end you just got to pick the best 4 available and live with it.
Exactly.

Woohoo, the selectors haven't picked players out of position and picked better halves - we're saved!

Will all count for nought unless we win the forward battle. With Price & Petero out we had a golden opportunity to steal one up in Queensland. We've instead named a forward pack that Tim Sheens would be proud of.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Exactly.

Woohoo, the selectors haven't picked players out of position and picked better halves - we're saved!

Will all count for nought unless we win the forward battle. With Price & Petero out we had a golden opportunity to steal one up in Queensland. We've instead named a forward pack that Tim Sheens would be proud of.

Yeah - and the worst thing is that one of the 2 props we picked is a PROVEN commodity at Origin level: proven to be craptastic that is (onya Whitey).

White tries hard - will take his share of hitups - but is just largely ineffective and will get dominated in the tackles often. Not a chance to break the line and offloads infrequently (in fact, NEVER - so far 0 this year).

Bryce Gibbs is superior to White in every statistical category this year (including meters per run). Please explain!!

Considering the entire Parramatta pack just steamrolled him on Friday night - and their 4 props dominated him in a head to head duel, you'd think that picking 2 of them (Mannah/ Poore) would've been a better option than White. And let's not even discuss the Snowden/Douglas combo.... so many better options at prop, so we pick only 2 - one of whom is complete crap.
But perhaps White had an illegal contract with a clause that Bellamy must select him for Origin each year?

Last edited:

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Yeah - and the worst thing is that one of the 2 props we picked is a PROVEN commodity at Origin level: proven to be craptastic that is (onya Whitey).

White tries hard - will take his share of hitups - but is just largely ineffective and will get dominated in the tackles often. Not a chance to break the line and offloads infrequently (in fact, NEVER - so far 0 this year).

Bryce Gibbs is superior to White in every statistical category this year (including meters per run). Please explain!!

Considering the entire Parramatta pack just steamrolled him on Friday night - and their 4 props dominated him in a head to head duel, you'd think that picking 2 of them (Mannah/ Poore) would've been a better option than White. And let's not even discuss the Snowden/Douglas combo.... so many better options at prop, so we pick only 2 - one of whom is complete crap.
But perhaps White had an illegal contract with a clause that Bellamy must select him for Origin each year?
As a Tigers fan - Gibbs has been fantastic this year and I will go out on a limb and say he's one of the best defensive props in the game. He's also supremely fit and is capable of playing 60+ minutes consistently. That's not me saying I want him in Origin - but I do consider him a superior player to White.

Snowden, Douglas, Mannah & Grant all are more deserving based on their performances this year - but so are 90% of props!

Last edited:

forward pass

Coach
So lets take stock of the selectors admitted f*ckups -

They have now admitted they erred in playing Gidley at fullback - for two seasons!
They have now admitted that they should not have left Gallen out of the side
They have now admitted that picking Idris was pretty silly and pointless to the sides make up
They have now admitted that it is ideal to pick an actual five-eighth at five-eighth

...and so it goes on and on.

When are these guys going to made accountable for their ridiculous selections in the past and admit the fact that they have nfi !!

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Hindmarsh makes his hitups up the middle now a days and has a good offload maybe they are going to play him at prop off the bench? Really he should be starting and trying to play the 80mins, we need his defence.

Hindy is the best cover defender and "one-percent-er" player in the game, but he wouldn't be in the top 16 of available NSW props (a sad bunch at the best of times) as a prop.

I would celebrate Hindy being picked for his strengths, but if used differently ... I'm just confused.

watatank

Coach
So lets take stock of the selectors admitted f*ckups -

They have now admitted they erred in playing Gidley at fullback - for two seasons!
They have now admitted that they should not have left Gallen out of the side
They have now admitted that picking Idris was pretty silly and pointless to the sides make up
They have now admitted that it is ideal to pick an actual five-eighth at five-eighth

...and so it goes on and on.

When are these guys going to made accountable for their ridiculous selections in the past and admit the fact that they have nfi !!

Still havent admitted the forward pack is crap yet. They might get it right when it doesn't matter. :roll:

dasherhalo

Juniors
I just cant comprehend picking players because of their defence. I can understand NOT picking players because of their lack of defence (eg Chris Sandow).

Defence is a team effort, NEVER a one man thing. If your expecting a player to be making one on one tackles all the time, you are begging to get beat, especially in Origin.

These selectors have forgot how to play a game of Rugby League.

Not sure which side of the fence you're on there - you can understand them not picking a player because their lack of defense, but ..... defense is a team effort?

For the record, I've listened to NSW fans bag Lockyer for years about being a defensive liability, but he's the first picked in our squad every year. So I guess I'm in column b: it's a team effort. Everyone knew that Tunza was haning off Locky's shoulder for years - if you tried to run over him, you'd get creamed!

What I guess I don't understand is picking players good at defense in the positions that should be where your points come from? Centres? If you can't score there, where are the points coming from?!

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Not sure which side of the fence you're on there - you can understand them not picking a player because their lack of defense, but ..... defense is a team effort?

For the record, I've listened to NSW fans bag Lockyer for years about being a defensive liability, but he's the first picked in our squad every year. So I guess I'm in column b: it's a team effort. Everyone knew that Tunza was haning off Locky's shoulder for years - if you tried to run over him, you'd get creamed!

What I guess I don't understand is picking players good at defense in the positions that should be where your points come from? Centres? If you can't score there, where are the points coming from?!

I think what Tezza is saying that picking individuals based on defence won't work, as the opposition will target the weak points in your defensive line. Therefore you shouldn't pick poor defenders because they will be targeted and will generally throw off the defensive shape of the whole team (the way Sandow and Walsh kidn of do for their respective teams), but picking a guy JUST BECAUSE of his defence does little to add to your chances of victory.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

I think what Tezza is saying that picking individuals based on defence won't work, as the opposition will target the weak points in your defensive line. Therefore you shouldn't pick poor defenders because they will be targeted and will generally throw off the defensive shape of the whole team (the way Sandow and Walsh kidn of do for their respective teams), but picking a guy JUST BECAUSE of his defence does little to add to your chances of victory.

Yup, pretty much nail on the head.

But just on the poor defenders and the Lockyer example, I for one think Lockyer defends fine for a 5/8. But he is a liability, which brings me back to my point that defence is a team thing. How often to halves make 1 on 1 tackles? When was the last time Lockyer made a try saver? The team does helps him out.

The selection of Scott to me smacks of despiration and seems as if that the NSW team plan on bunching their defence in and using Scott to stop Inglis. Thats a death trap. Im sure Scott can shut down Inglis IF HE GETS TO HIM! And what If Inglis drags in Scott AND Tahu and throws a pass to Boyd? That seems more likely then Inglis trying to brush Scott off all the time.

Its just seems like a stupid, narrow minded selection. "oh Inglis good attack, Scott good defence, Scott stop Inglis everytime"

And while im at it, Inglis has not been the one that has torn us apart the last couple of years, its been Thurston, lets pick Alan Toungue at halfback to shut him down yeah?

oldmancraigy

Coach
Thats a death trap. Im sure Scott can shut down Inglis IF HE GETS TO HIM! And what If Inglis drags in Scott AND Tahu and throws a pass to Boyd? That seems more likely then Inglis trying to brush Scott off all the time.

Correct.

Honestly - Tahu is an excellent athlete, and his form hasn't been as woeful as many on these boards like to make out - but the guy hasn't played on the wing in a rugby league game since he played left wing for NSW in 2006.

Almost exclusively he's been a left center - and now he's being tossed into the deep end on the right wing. Inglis is the 'go to guy' for Queensland, can anyone really blame Tahu if he drifts in off his wing once or twice to 'make sure' that Inglis is being taken care of? Pure and simple it would be that he's in a very unfamiliar position.

And before anyone starts raving on about how Boyd is 'out of position' too - sure, that's correct, but he doesn't have Greg Inglis opposite him in the centres - makes a fair bit of difference I'd think.

Anyway - I hope the Scott/ Tahu thing works really well - in theory they should close off that attacking edge for Queensland a little bit - and as long as the blokes on the inside work hard to follow Thurston when he glides that way, it could be a brave move.

Hopefully the 2 NSW props can do make some space up the middle and let Hayne work some magic. Hayne long ball to Morris or Tahu is probably our only real chance of laying on a try.

Pigskin

Juniors
1 Hayne
2 Morris (the one that plays wing)
3 Morris (the one that plays centre)
4 Jennings
5 Lawrence
6 Campese (if you want to go the whole hog) or Bird (for Stiffening)
7 Veteran (Campese) or Pearce (Bird)
8 White (a lot of you don't rate him, but you need mongrel and emotion at least to start)
9 Ennis
10 Ben Cross
11 Hindmarsh
12 Gallen
13 O'Donnell (Watmough if fit)

14 Carney
15 Waterhouse (Mason with a rocket ?)
16 Scott (Lewis if not suspended)
17 Weyman (can provide impact)

I would be scared of this team ... it has plenty of points in it, has an eye to the future ... some nasty buggers up front and a couple of workers to compliment the speedy backs

It has spark and flexibility on the bench covering every position on the field with minimal positional changes

The workers can play a true 80 minutes and allow a rotation of big men (whom NSW really lack btw, but this was the best I could come up with)

Was tempted to pick Mason instead of Waterhouse actually ... but all the props or pseudo props need a rocket up them

The young 3/4 line needs to be given numerous chances - who knows what might happen immediately ... you might not win in 2010 or even 2011 ... but in a few years time, that could be one hell of a 3/4 line

The other option is to concede lack of playmakers and go for Farah and base your entire attack around him ... with one or two more defensive hole runners included - but only one or two - perhaps a hole running 5/8 and a defensive hole running centre

Continue to pick the same old wood ducks that have nothing ie Lyon, Cooper, White, Kite, Gidley, Tahu, Creagh, Perry, Kimmorley, Barrett ... and continue to keep the same geniused selectors ... and you will continue to get, what you have always got

Oink !

ps I am available on a consultancy basis to provide guidance to a new selection panel should you appoint one

Last edited:

Pigskin

Juniors
pps Oh ... and although Bellamy is the best coach around for the job, he needs to be given the flick for a few years and bring him back later

for now you need a true motivator - a Tommy Raudonikus type, but not as mad as Tommy ... then bring in a tactician or two to assist

get rid of jokers like Johns and the uninspiring Daley ... get some fair dinkum football brains as assistants ... and tell all the recently retired players to come back in a decade's time

my suggestions (presuming Gus can't be lured out or retirement)

Coach - Glen Lazarus (not the best example, but somebody a bit removed, that has great passion for the blues jersey, and has no conflicts or favourites among current players

Assistant Coach #1 - Brian Smith
Assistant Coach #2 - John Cartwright

Add this staff to the side in the post above, and Queenslanders now have something serious to think about

Latest posts