What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offsiders

Slackboy72

Coach
It got a fair bit of coverage when those two teams had that massive dust-up before their grand final a couple of years back. I thought that was a Cairns v Townsville game. Anyone remember that?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Slackboy72 said:
It got a fair bit of coverage when those two teams had that massive dust-up before their grand final a couple of years back. I thought that was a Cairns v Townsville game. Anyone remember that?
Yeah i remember that. It wasn't the AFL that got coverage though, it was the big brawl. I dont think they mentioned the actual game or who won.

If there was a huge brawl in the local water-polo league it would get huge coverage. People love the biff!

butchmcdick

Immortal
Tommy Smith said:
AFL big in Townsville? LOL Could have fooled me, especially since i've lived here since 1999.

From what i know the local AFL league can barely get enough people to play the game up here....they are always crying out for players.

The game gets no more coverage than women's basketball or local rugby.

Thats why they have three fulltime development officers to try and change that isn't it.

What has league done that is similar in a non league area or even in the bush for that matter ?

beave

Coach
Slackboy72 said:

it was 2 cairns based teams, Port Douglas and someone else from memory, nothing to do with Tvl AFL. AFL/Aussie rules has always had some sort of popularity with Cairns people, the area is like Florida over in the states, the caravan/retiree brigade from down south love it up there, I am sure NQboy would agree with me.

Brutus

Referee
Gallop is on the ABC show 'Offsiders' right now.

Unfortunately no Masters today.

How convenient.

Dogs Of War

Coach
He is giving too much credit to News Ltd. He says they support it more than they should. Gallop is a wanker!

Brutus

Referee
Apparently there would be no Canberra Raiders and no Cowboys if it weren't for News LTD.

What rubbish.

If those clubs were ever in doubt it would have only because of the Super League war which was a News LTD thing of course.

Apparently there would be no Canberra Raiders and no Cowboys if it weren't for News LTD.

What rubbish.

If those clubs were ever in doubt it would have only because of the Super League war which was a News LTD thing of course.

:lol:

i wonder why the merkin didnt mention perth.

did news ltd save them too?

and the central coast as well.

Brutus

Referee
When defending News LTD, he comes up with the line about saving Melb, Cowboys and Canberra every time.

We'd be more national without News.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
He came up with the same rubbish over and over again. "We've got many mouths to feed" ect...

They needed one Roy Masters there to hit him hard over TV money and what Gallop thinks of the NRL filling 42 of the top 50 Fox Sports shows for the year and getting hammered in TV money.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Isn't the money paid out by News money from them profiting from RL? Basically league paying for itself.

butchmcdick

Immortal

What rubbish.

But he is right about the cowboys. WE were in deep sh*t before news came along and bailed us out.

griff

Bench
Roy would have called him on it. The money that News used to prop up Melbourne and to a lesser extent North Qld and Canberra comes from the NRL.

When defending News LTD, Gallop comes up with the line about saving Melb, Cowboys and Canberra every friggin time.

We'd be more bloody national without News Mr Gallop

gallop isnt employed to defend news ltd anymore.

he there to promote the interest of the NRL.

for fairness sake, did he defend the ARL too?

merkin

butchmcdick

Immortal
in 1995?

BS mate.

every RL club was struggling from the inflation in player payments caused by SL.

No not in 1995 douchebag but in 2002 or so when they took control of our licence and board, appointed frank stanton to the board and got graham murray as our next coach. Up untill then we had sheens as coach and a bunch of well meaning but crap local businessmen as our board. Oh and they sh*tcanned rabieh krayem who was a tool of the highest order from our club.

No not in 1995 douchebag but in 2002 or so when they took control of our licence and board, appointed frank stanton to the board and got graham murray as our next coach. Up untill then we had sheens as coach and a bunch of well meaning but crap local businessmen as our board. Oh and they sh*tcanned rabieh krayem who was a tool of the highest order from our club.

thanks that answers the question.

if news ltd hadnt came in with SL, the club wouldve been fine and not needed to be saved.

Brutus

Referee
But he is right about the cowboys. WE were in deep sh*t before news came along and bailed us out.

The only reason you were in deep sh*t was because of Superleague and that was News' fault. That f**ked many clubs up.

The Cowboys would be here today no problems had News stayed out of it altogether.

Brutus

Referee
There would have been no Rabieh Krahem.

Kerry Boustead would most probably still be CEO of the club today.

SL f**ked many clubs up.