What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offsiders

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Eaxactly, they ALL want league to go down to benefit their code, it's that black and white.

The NRL should really consider getting the media in their pocket as the AFL have done to turn this all around.

Kiki

First Grade
even the fact that wanky ad is all about how much better they are than other codes/sports. it smacks of insecurity. so sad.

Offsiders is a decent sports show. I can't stand AFL types like Caroline Wilson but what can you do.

I'd rather watch that show for the 10 minutes of Rugby League coverage they do then watch the hour and a half long rubbish that is Footy Show.

_Johnsy

Referee
Ummm, how quickly the media can forget when it suits their agenda.

r240631_975275.jpg

El Diablo

Post Whore
and you can get away with anything on the AFL field because they have no send off rule

ridiculous

El Diablo

Post Whore
and eye gouging hardly gets a suspension

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21830706-23211,00.html

AFL defends its eye-gouging record

By Greg Denham
June 01, 2007

AFL GENERAL manager of football operations Adrian Anderson yesterday defended the league's tribunal system against claims it was lenient in eye-gouging penalties.
"A serious case of eye-gouging would be sent straight to the tribunal and it could suspend a player for as long as it likes," Anderson said.

"The penalty would be up to their discretion, but a player found guilty of serious eye-gouging could be banned for one or two years."

Critics have claimed the AFL's penalties are too soft after the match review panel's decision on Monday to suspend West Coast captain Chris Judd for one match for eye-gouging.

Judd, who fought the charge and was cleared by the tribunal jury on Tuesday, was charged at the lowest end of the scale for obvious high contact - negligent conduct and low impact.

Had Judd had a clean record, he would have been offered a reprimand by the match review panel.

Anderson confirmed that the AFL defined an eye-gouge under the dictionary definition of a poke in the eye, not necessarily a raking of fingers or fingernails across the region of the eyes.

Tribunal chairman John Hassett said in his summary to the jury in the Judd case that the football definition of eye-gouging was an act of poking one's finger in an opponent's eye.

"There is a big difference in the degree of penalties, and no player will escape suspension if found to have intentionally eye-gouged," Anderson said.

He said that under the AFL's level of offences categories, it was possible to eye-gouge in a negligent, or even reckless manner.

"A player may not intend to eye-gouge, but could have taken more care not to," he said. "Poking someone in the eye does not have to be intentional."

Anderson said in the Judd case, impact was deemed low because there was no medical evidence of injury to the right eye of Hawthorn's Campbell Brown.

"In an earlier case with Jeff Farmer, there was medical evidence that there was a scratch on the eye of (Kangaroos player) Daniel Pratt, so impact was assessed as medium," Anderson said.

Fremantle's Farmer was found guilty of eye-gouging Pratt in the pre-season and suspended for six weeks after an unsuccessful challenge.

His action was deemed to be intentional conduct and medium impact.

Yet he could have accepted a four-week penalty which included additional time because of his poor record that carried a 20 per cent loading, and he had a carryover of 96 demerit points.

Last month, Melbourne's Ben Holland was reprimanded for unnecessary and unreasonable contact to the face of Western Bulldogs captain Brad Johnson.

The steepest penalty the match review panel can hand down for eye-gouging is five matches, but if a player has a clean record and accepts an early guilty plea, he would be banned for only three games.

Melbourne Storm NRL coach Craig Bellamy yesterday was bemused by the AFL review panel's punishment for eye-gouging.

"That seems ridiculous, in my environment players can get 12, 15, 18 weeks," Bellamy said. "It's a real dead-set no-no.

"It's either an eye-gouge, or it isn't. If the intent is there, no matter what damage, you should get the book thrown at you."

So strongly did West Coast feel about Judd's innocence, that chief executive Trevor Nisbett said yesterday it would have appealed if the decision had not gone in Judd's favour.

"In this case, even if Chris had a clean sheet, was found guilty of eye-gouging and was handed a reprimand by the match review panel, we would have challenged that on the Tuesday night, and appealed that as well had we not got the appropriate outcome," Nisbett said.

judd_channel_ten_wideweb__470x348,0.jpg

Last edited:

elbusto

Coach
What annoys me is that my taxes go towards arse brains like Wilson deriding our great game. She is a really ordinary journalist at best.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Well do what I did, write a long mail telling them what you think, if you don,t get stuck into them they think they can get away with it.
If you expecting a reply don't I have written about 4 or 5 times about the shows bagging of Rugby League never got a reply yet

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...-eye-gouge-case/2007/08/14/1186857513253.html

Brown: I lied in Judd eye gouge case

Stephen Rielly | August 15, 2007

HAWTHORN thought that if Campbell Brown found any trouble at the AFL Tribunal this year it would be for his well-documented habit of solving disputes the physical way. Today, it can be said, the Hawks were mistaken.

Brown is expected to be charged this morning, either by the tribunal or the AFL itself, for an act of diplomacy, rather than hostility, that he unwisely revealed in a television interview on Monday evening.

In the interview, Brown disclosed that he lied to help West Coast captain Chris Judd beat an eye-gouging charge that was laid against the Eagles champion after a scuffle between the two during the round-nine match at Aurora Stadium, Launceston, in late May.

Brown, whom AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson said last night was not compelled to give evidence in the case, told the subsequent tribunal hearing that although he felt contact to his face, Judd did not make contact with his eyes. Judd was cleared.

On Monday night, however, he offered if not a different version of the events then an admission that his evidence had not been entirely accurate or candid.

Asked on the Fox Sports program On The Couch whether he had "fibbed" to assist Judd, Brown admitted: "Yeah, I did."

Asked to expand, he added: "He obviously wanted to get off, I wanted him to get off, everyone wanted him to get off."

While an AFL statement released last night did not confirm that Brown will be charged today it is almost certain that he will be, under rule 23.15, for failing to co-operate with the tribunal in that he failed to answer questions truthfully or made false or misleading statements.

Speculation of a suspension was doused last night but the possibility of a hefty fine was not, although Brown, a player with a substantial tribunal record as a defendant, would first have to be found guilty. In 1995, former Kangaroos defender and current Hawthorn assistant coach Ross Smith was found guilty of providing unsatisfactory evidence in a case involving Dermott Brereton. He was fined $1000.

Hawthorn was not offering a comment last night other than to say that the club would co-operate with the league as it investigates the matter today.

Anderson said any penalty would be for the tribunal to determine and he would not speculate as to whether a suspension might be dealt to arguably the Hawks' most important defender.

"The rules provide that the tribunal itself can take action against a player if they've found he's been dishonest at the tribunal," Anderson said.

elbusto

Coach
Well do what I did, write a long mail telling them what you think, if you don,t get stuck into them they think they can get away with it.
If you expecting a reply don't I have written about 4 or 5 times about the shows bagging of Rugby League never got a reply yet
Yeah but they read those emails and they hate the message. I sent them one myself. They can get stuffed.:crazy:

Flapper

First Grade
If they don't respond to electronic means, just try ringing them. Enough people clogging the switch is usually the way to go to get some sort of response, because they can't just hang up on you.

LESStar58

Referee
i cannot STAND that woman.

remember when that whole sam newman thing happened, she coulda come out and really stood up for women in sport but all she could come up with was 'well AFL is better than league with its treatment of women'. bitch PLEASE.

also if ur gonna be on tv, maybe get ur teeth bleached. just sayin.

Dunno why Newman would try to objectify her to be honest... she's awful!

mightybears

Bench
Send them an email http://www.abc.net.au/sport/offsiders/contact.htm

be interesting if anyone gets a reply

I sent the below, see what response i get/if any:

The rugby league bashing is getting out of hand, the cultural difference between the two codes is nothing when it comes it drugs, illegal or legal, attitudes to women and violence on or off field but for some reason AFL incidents continue to be played down or not commented on but minor league incidents play like capital crimes.

In recent months your show has lost its balance, Jeff Kennett was bad enough, but today's sanctimonious display was below par for 'THE' national broadcaster. And a week after the blinkered Francis Leach was allowed to unload!

The producers need to start thinking outside the bizarre Melbourne prism that is the current demonstrated mindset of the show. That or ask for a subsidy from the AFL directly, as recent displays have been nothing more that paid advertising.

I sent the below, see what response i get/if any:

The rugby league bashing is getting out of hand, the cultural difference between the two codes is nothing when it comes it drugs, illegal or legal, attitudes to women and violence on or off field but for some reason AFL incidents continue to be played down or not commented on but minor league incidents play like capital crimes.

In recent months your show has lost its balance, Jeff Kennett was bad enough, but today's sanctimonious display was below par for 'THE' national broadcaster. And a week after the blinkered Francis Leach was allowed to unload!

The producers need to start thinking outside the bizarre Melbourne prism that is the current demonstrated mindset of the show. That or ask for a subsidy from the AFL directly, as recent displays have been nothing more that paid advertising.
It's important to keep up a persistent dialogue with these media outlets, and sponsors. They DO sit up and take notice when they get even just a handful of complaints, if they follow a consistent theme. There are enough intelligent and eloquent people on these forums to make a difference. We must keep fighting the good fight.

Latest posts