What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old rule query

TheFrog

Coach
How’s that work with a kicking duel tho, if you just keep kicking there’s no play the ball?
The first one would follow a play the ball and would be penalised after the downtown rule came in. If you look at the St George one above, half the team runs ahead of the play the ball before the first kick.

If the receiver isn't ringed by defenders and can run, there is little point kicking.

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
I always thought the old kicking duels were just a way for fullbacks to test each other out. You’d defuse a long kick, then effectively challenge the other fullback’s prowess by kicking it straight back.

If he didn’t accept, he was a coward. If he did, well first person to drop the ball gives up field position.

They all but ended by the time I was old enough to really remember games, but I recall whoever actually chose to run instead of kicking it back for widely booed

Someguy

First Grade
Chanelling my inner T-boon here but....

Any kick for field position before the 4th tackle sees the receiving team continue the kicking teams tackle count.

Would also need a rule excluding any return kick from the caught in goal 20m tap rule, maybe kick that bounces out of in goal would result in drop out

You may find this site of some use as it details some of the changes in the rules since the game came into being in 1895 - http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_...ID=175912&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=15492573

In terms of scrums, in 1931 the rule became that the "defending" teams half fed the scrum whilst the "attacking" team had the loose head (defending and attacking are defined in the laws of the game). This lasted unmodified until 1963 when the non-offending team given the feed and loose-head for scrums from penalties (including after kick to touch). This then saw a final change in 1982 when it became that for all scrums the non-offending team would be given the loose head and the feed.

Don't forget, with the introduction of limited tackle football in 1967 and until the introduction of the handover rule in 1989, if you were caught in possession at the end of your tackle count it would see a scrum. That was why many teams started kicking for touch on the last tackle as they had some chance of regaining possession at the resultant scrum.

Mr Spock!

Referee
You may find this site of some use as it details some of the changes in the rules since the game came into being in 1895 - http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_...ID=175912&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=15492573

In terms of scrums, in 1931 the rule became that the "defending" teams half fed the scrum whilst the "attacking" team had the loose head (defending and attacking are defined in the laws of the game). This lasted unmodified until 1963 when the non-offending team given the feed and loose-head for scrums from penalties (including after kick to touch). This then saw a final change in 1982 when it became that for all scrums the non-offending team would be given the loose head and the feed.

Don't forget, with the introduction of limited tackle football in 1967 and until the introduction of the handover rule in 1989, if you were caught in possession at the end of your tackle count it would see a scrum. That was why many teams started kicking for touch on the last tackle as they had some chance of regaining possession at the resultant scrum.

Gee unlimited tackle football must've been a hoot. No wonder scrums had to be competitive and we had striking for the play the ball. Otherwise teams could have the ball indefinitely.

I recall it being tried in a Brisbane game in the 80s (don't know why but I remember Ross Strudwick playing) and Valleys ran the ball one out for over 30 tackles.

Lol teams could be zero yards (until 1950s) from the ruck would've been interesting too.

Gee unlimited tackle football must've been a hoot. No wonder scrums had to be competitive and we had striking for the play the ball. Otherwise teams could have the ball indefinitely.

I recall it being tried in a Brisbane game in the 80s (don't know why but I remember Ross Strudwick playing) and Valleys ran the ball one out for over 30 tackles.

Lol teams could be zero yards (until 1950s) from the ruck would've been interesting too.

The great St George teams of the 1950s and 1960s (pre limited tackle football) used to give the ball to the opposition for the first 15 minutes of the game and set out to legally bash them into submission through hard tackling. When the Dragons got the ball back after this softening up period, the opposition we so sore and sorry, the Dragons would start running all over them. It helped the Dragons that they were the only team doing training aimed at improving their aerobic capacity and endurance. That was why they managed to blow many teams off the park or run them down late in the match.