What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One step at a time: the rest of the season unfolds here

DeeGan

Bench
From www.gcbulletin.com.au

Titans blitz Raiders 28-0
03Jun07

FORMER Kangaroos halfback Scott Prince steered Gold Coast to a commanding 28-8 victory over a woeful Canberra in today's NRL clash at Carrara.

Prince had a hand in four of the Titans' five tries as the home side raced to a 28-0 lead at the halftime break to virtually seal victory.

In-form winger Matt Petersen bagged two tries, despite suffering a dislocated finger early in the match.

He went close to grabbing another in the 75th minute but his arm touched the corner post just before he grounded the ball.

The Titans are edging closer to making Carrara their fortress after securing their fourth win from five matches at the ground but they were disappointing in the second half as they failed to put the Raiders to the sword.

Queensland coach and Raiders legend Mal Meninga was among the crowd of 13,644 to monitor Origin hopeful Brad Meyers but the Titans prop limped off the field in the 21st minute with a right knee injury and didn't return.

Canberra had no answer to Prince's bag of tricks as the scheming halfback had a hand in tries to Petersen, five-eighth Josh Lewis and centre Mat Rogers in the opening stanza.

Lewis helped keep the scoreboard ticking by setting up a 19th minute try for recalled winger Jake Webster.

Canberra didn't post their first points until the 54th minute when fullback William Zillman, who earlier had gifted a try to Lewis following an in-goal error, crossed out wide.

The second half degenerated into a farce as both sides made fundamental errors and failed to complete their sets.

Raiders back-rower Ben Jones scored a soft try from a penalty tap following a Zillman break to reduce the deficit to 28-8.

About the only excitement in the second half was a scuffle between Petersen and Raiders centre Marshall Chalk which resulted in a penalty to the home side.

Utility David Myles made his debut for the Titans after former Raiders forward Michael Hodgson hurt his groin in the warm-up.

Canberra were missing centre Adrian Purtell, who was diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis this week, and second-rower Glen Turner (back).

GOLD COAST 28
(M Petersen 2 J Webster J Lewis M Rogers tries M Rogers 4 goals) bt CANBERRA 8 (W Zillman B Jones tries) at Gold Coast Stadium. Referee: G Badger. Crowd: 13,644.

CrazyEel

Bench
Well done Titans.

You are right about the local excitement of fans on the GC DeeGan, everyone I talk to seems to be getting right behind them. Having a good stadium next year will bring a lot more to the actual games. Will even be attending myself if I can overcome my anti- Peterson phobia.:oops:

DeeGan

Bench
Matty was unlucky not to bag a hat-trick today - the right call was made though the age old argument about WHY do we need goal posts rears it's head.

Titanic

First Grade
DeeGan said:
Fragile state of the club?
Fragile state of the supporter base?
What are you smoking Titanic? :lol:
The strenght of the front office, well, I don't need to validate that.
The supporter base's devotion to the team has not wavered. Our healthy crowd average of 17,000 odd is testimony to that. The Gold Coast community is swept up in the romance of having their own team again - we will have a core of supporters similar to that of the Cowboys and Knights, that I am confident about.

All fair comments but you're preaching to the "didn't need to be" converted. My comments were made in the context of past history and the need to keep the momentum going. Last weekend's crowd was 13,000 and unless we beef up the front row then all the great stuff from the back 10 will be wasted. Fragile we are until we have stabilised all that and we shouldn't forget it. None of us should settle for anything like mediocrity.

DeeGan

Bench
r14-game7.jpg

GAME > Wests Tigers v Gold Coast
WHEN > Sunday 17 June, 3:00pm
WHERE > CAMPBELLTOWN SPORTS STADIUM, LEUMEAH NSW
MEDIA > LIVE 2GB, LIVE ABC, LeagueUnlimited LIVE UPDATE. Delayed on NINE
REF > Tony Archer
TIX > Ticketek.com.au

Tigers
1. Shannon McDonnell, 2. Daniel Fitzhenry, 3. Dean Collis, 4. Paul Whatuira, 5. Taniela Tuiaki, 6. Chris Lawrence, 7. John Morris, 8. Todd Payten, 9. Robbie Farah, 10. Bryce Gibbs, 11. Ben Galea, 12. Chris Heighington, 13. Dene Halatau
Int - 14. Liam Fulton, 15. Ben Te'o, 16. Bronson Harrison, 17. Keith Galloway

Titans
1. Richie Mathers, 2. Mat Petersen, 3. Mat Rogers, 4. Brett Delaney, 5. Jake Webster, 6. Josh Lewis, 7. Scott Prince (C), 8. Luke Bailey , 9. Nathan Friend, 10. James Stosic, 11. Anthony Laffranchi, 12. Mark Minichiello, 13. Luke Swain
Int - 14. Matthew Hilder, 15. Ian Donnelly, 16. Gavin Cooper, 17. Clint Amos

Preston Campbell not being named is a concern, I am hoping he hasn't reinjured himself at training as I was told "nothing is surer" in his return this weekend :? Not to worry, Richie is looking more and more comfortable each week in the NRL, he will do the job for us again.

The debut of Ian Donnelly is exciting, Ian is a big bopper who will add some starch to the pack when he is on. A nuggety, low to the ground prop who doesn't take a backward step, he will compliment Bull Bailey brilliantly. I saw him training late last week and he looks genuinely excited about his new surroundings, I think this is one hell of a pick up by Carty.

Welcome back to Clint Amos, I keep saying it, though his 1-2 punch with Friend is not to be underestimated. Each offer something a little different to the team.

I will be at this game and this game is huge for us, a real test against a side I see staying in the top four. More that later, there is an Origin game to think about!

Whilst I wish Luke Bailey all the success in the world and hope he comes through unscathed (though the pec strain is a massive concern, this is the injury from his Dragons days and let's hope there is no reoccurence there) tonight I sincerely hope he tastes defeat! :lol:

Titanic

First Grade
Yep. this game is a true measure of our quality - not even replayed in China so I will have to rely on LU and the radio.

An SOO comment: What wouldn't I give to have a beer at Choppy's pub right now.

DeeGan

Bench
Preston is likely to be play :D

The combination of Prince, Lewis, Friend and Campbell is an exciting prospect.

DeeGan

Bench
With the horrible playing conditions at Campbelltown, Preston may not be risked I am told.

I also read this morning Richie Mathers and Matt Petersen are suffering with the flu. Luke Bailey is possibly out of the game (pec injury) with Kris Kahler on stand-by.

DeeGan

Bench
WHAT A WIN! WE ARE FIFTH ON THE LADDER!

We did this the hard way and I though the Hilder forward pass was going to come back to haunt us. A couple of calls went against us today and we toughed it out to hang on and win by 2pts

Enough for now, I am going to saviour this win over a team I consider top four material in 2007. The win may come at cost. Mathers has injured his knee and Webster might have picked up a shoulder injury too.

Well played Tigers, kudo's yet again to Robbie Farrah.

DeeGan

Bench
Just looking at the run home (pg.1) that is one hell of an important win considering we dropped the Roosters and Dragons games (what might have been if we pick up one of those or hell, BOTH!).

This was one win that may not have been expected given it was against the top four bound Tigers at home.

On par with the Brisbane Broncos win this one. A win that showed our character, one again confirmed we are here not to make up the numbers. What a week to be a Queenslander.

Eelectrica

Referee
Outstanding win today.
Considering Bailey was unavailable, Presto still wasn't quite good to go and Mathers was injured in the 1st half, leaving the bench short and that it was in Sydney facing the Tigers, arguably the Titans best win of the year.
Really toughed it out.

Coaster

Bench
Wow awesome win, i didnt expect this win at all.

But still tipped them and at $3.10 won a cool $220

Presto,Bailey,O'Dwyer,Walker all to come back and next 2 games bascily home games, we looking good.

Titanic

First Grade
ABC Asia did the right thing and broadcast the game after all - first time to see Lewis do his thing and thought Donnelly can improve on a fair first up start but most impressive of all was the application of some of the lesser lights ... what am I talking about we don't have any.

DeeGan

Bench
Donnelly will improve, especially when Bull Bailey is partnering him up front. Kahler was better than his last start though still pretty ordinary up front.

What about the form of Mark Minichiello? I said on the official forum this guy would be one of THE bargain pick ups for our club, he is proving me right. The 'other Mini' is proving to be a great assett for us in tandem with Laffranchi.

Titanic

First Grade
IMO the prospects for next season are as exciting as the balance of this season is. These guys will be even better for the experience of this year.

Titanic

First Grade
What I don't understand is the common opinion that this season the standard is below par. IMO there are a whole host of new faces doing great things.

steven_tiger

Juniors
DeeGan said:
A couple of calls went against us today and we toughed it out to hang on and win by 2pts

Those went both ways. We had some shockers against us too.

Congrats to your team though, I honestly thought we would win and win by plenty.