What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Optus snatches English Premier League rights from Fox Sports in Australia

ggmu

Juniors
Friday night was hell trying to watch the Egypt game live. Got 15 minutes in and got kick off figured it was on my end so rebooted the app and chromcast and couldn’t get anything going for more then a minute at a time before it cutting out again.

Glad to see it wasn’t me f**king up it was Optus. Watching the on demand stuff has been perfect but like most people I don’t pay $15 a month to watch it replayed.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Someone needs to intervene and immediately take the rights off these f**king hopeless merkins. Luckily I have not had any playback error issues yet but unfortunately far too many people have. And while they are at it, take the EPL rights off them too, they have done a crap job with that too. It is all well ans good having that extensive punditry and highlights content on the app but the quality of the service is still poor as f**k far too often.

It absolutely rattles my brain that Optus thought it would be a great PR idea to win the rights to the worlds two biggest competitions with what is essentially experimential broadcasting technology. People in the f**king amazon rainforest have more reliable broadcast service than we do. f**king dropkicks, only in australia this could happen.

To be fair they’ve been absolutely fine with the epl. I haven’t had a single issue watching or casting using Optus.

Like pommy has stated, the World Cup is a totally different story. It’s been terrible with constant drop outs.

Pommy

Coach
To be fair they’ve been absolutely fine with the epl. I haven’t had a single issue watching or casting using Optus.

Like pommy has stated, the World Cup is a totally different story. It’s been terrible with constant drop outs.

The EPL coverage is infinitely better (for free in my case) than what I was paying Foxtel for.
Optus winning the EPL rights allowed me to switch from about an $80 Foxtel package to a $12 Netflix package.
If they can just sort this mess out I would take Optus everyday of the week.

The IQ3 box was total aids on its own.

saint.nick

Coach

Disagree. Some of the EPL picture quality is shocking and there have still been issues here and there for some people over the last 24 months.

Pommy

Coach
Disagree. Some of the EPL picture quality is shocking and there have still been issues here and there for some people over the last 24 months.

The Fox quality was shite though unless you paid an extra fee for 1080 in the age of 4K.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
I’m guessing your just annoyed as you have Foxtel nick. Optus has been for the most part absolutely fine with the epl.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Have they done anything to improve the accessibility to non optus customers? Honest question
No idea, i’m an Optus customer before they got the rights so it suited me. I don’t have Foxtel now so miss out on plenty of sport I like as I’m not a Foxtel customer.

Why would they pay a shotload of money for something and hen make it easy for people who aren’t paying customers of theirs to access the content they now control, for which they paid a hefty premium for.

Game_Breaker

Coach
No idea, i’m an Optus customer before they got the rights so it suited me. I don’t have Foxtel now so miss out on plenty of sport I like as I’m not a Foxtel customer.

Why would they pay a shotload of money for something and hen make it easy for people who aren’t paying customers of theirs to access the content they now control, for which they paid a hefty premium for.

He may be referring to paying customers who aren’t Optus customers (I.e just payed for the app during the World Cup)

I imagine they simply underestimated demand

saint.nick

Coach

Because they are shit merkins thats why. Forcing people to upheave their mobile or internet subcriptions with rival companies just so that they could access EPL was a shit go whichever way you look at it. Despite the price of Foxtel, at least anybody could be a Foxtel customer and watch EPL.

It would have been better if a proper streaming company like Netflix or Amazon acquired the rights because anybody can freely subscribe to those services, but this was purely just a scheme by Optus to rake in more mobile and broadband customers.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Because they are shit merkins thats why. Forcing people to upheave their mobile or internet subcriptions with rival companies just so that they could access EPL was a shit go whichever way you look at it. Despite the price of Foxtel, at least anybody could be a Foxtel customer and watch EPL.

It would have been better if a proper streaming company like Netflix or Amazon acquired the rights because anybody can freely subscribe to those services, but this was purely just a scheme by Optus to rake in more mobile and broadband customers.
Same could be said about accesss to all things NRL. Yes I get the channel 9 games but unless I’m a Telstra mobile customer I don’t get access I’d like. I miss most games but there’s nothing I can do unless I change telephone contracts.

I wasn’t keen on Optus getting the EPL when I had Foxtel for the exact reason you are unhappy about so I get it.

Unfortunately it’s the way most big sports will end up mate.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
He may be referring to paying customers who aren’t Optus customers (I.e just payed for the app during the World Cup)

I imagine they simply underestimated demand
100% they underestimated the demand and that’s poor on their behalf. Not hard to recognise the World Cup will be hugely watched by most casual fans let alone the die hard football fans in this country.

saint.nick

Coach
Same could be said about accesss to all things NRL. Yes I get the channel 9 games but unless I’m a Telstra mobile customer I don’t get access I’d like. I miss most games but there’s nothing I can do unless I change telephone contracts.

I wasn’t keen on Optus getting the EPL when I had Foxtel for the exact reason you are unhappy about so I get it.

Unfortunately it’s the way most big sports will end up mate.
That's not really the same though, Telstra mobile is just a small extension of the NRL broadcast coverage. You don't have to strictly be a Telstra customer to watch all NRL games, but you do need to be strictly an Optus customer to watch all EPL games.

I'm not sure big sports will exactly end up that way. Sure they could end up in the hands of the streaming giants but at least it wouldn't mean the lock out of swathes of a population because they were unlucky enough to have the wrong mobile phone contract.

I'm an Optus customer with the EPL subscription, and after having it for two seasons I get how easy it is to say that Optus actually hasn't been that bad, but you've got all these people not in our situation who have thought, 'well f**k, is cancelling my Telstra broadband and mobile subscriptions really worth the hassle just for EPL?'

Pommy

Coach
I think for the next season anyone can subscribe to Optus sport. I must admit that is bull shit and should never have been allowed.

no name

Coach
What an absolute shit fight this World Cup has been for Australians.
Thankfully SBS has all of the group games now.
Optus have done themselves no favours with this, especially since die hard fans would have been scrambling to find online streams and have find reliable ones for the EPL.
I’m not a die hard soccer fan but I have found a reliable stream which I can get onto my tv.

Timbo

Staff member
What an absolute shit fight this World Cup has been for Australians.
Thankfully SBS has all of the group games now.
Optus have done themselves no favours with this, especially since die hard fans would have been scrambling to find online streams and have find reliable ones for the EPL.
I’m not a die hard soccer fan but I have found a reliable stream which I can get onto my tv.

I think they’ve also really stuffed their chances of picking up NRL or AFL rights in the short term.

How good is it having the whole tournament on SBS. This is how tournaments like this should be televised.

Pommy

Coach
I think they’ve also really stuffed their chances of picking up NRL or AFL rights in the short term.

How good is it having the whole tournament on SBS. This is how tournaments like this should be televised.

Lol NRL will sell to whoever is willing to pay the most money.

Latest posts