What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Optus snatches English Premier League rights from Fox Sports in Australia

Pommy

Coach
I can watch from the beginning but live I get sod all.
That’s on both my iPhone and Apple TV

Pommy

Coach
Just got it up watched about 20 seconds and then buffering.
Checked Optus sport Facebook page and there’s a lot of complaints.

saint.nick

Coach
Just got it up watched about 20 seconds and then buffering.
Checked Optus sport Facebook page and there’s a lot of complaints.
But nah some people on this page will tell you that streaming is the way to go for sports in the future and that Optus's footy content offering makes it worth it. f**king dolts. This is exactly why such a huge stink was kicked up when they won the rights, people doubted that Optus had the infrastructure to provide a reliable and clean broadcast, let alone the fact thousands of non optus users were shut out. Foxtel was great, you could just sit down without having a worry in the world about your broadcast f**king buffering or reducing to 10 pixels on the screen while a big moment in the game happens. Its an absolute farce that internet streaming is our method of showcasing the biggest sports event in the world.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
The 2 games I’ve managed to be hone for I’ve stopped watching as I kept getting booted from the Chromecast. Every other app I use is fine with casting but the Optus one booted me every 5-10 mins. Have turned both games off after around 25mins as I was over having to constantly reboot the app.

It’s a shame as the epl experience I’ve had with Optus has been good.

Pommy

Coach
But nah some people on this page will tell you that streaming is the way to go for sports in the future and that Optus's footy content offering makes it worth it. f**king dolts. This is exactly why such a huge stink was kicked up when they won the rights, people doubted that Optus had the infrastructure to provide a reliable and clean broadcast, let alone the fact thousands of non optus users were shut out. Foxtel was great, you could just sit down without having a worry in the world about your broadcast f**king buffering or reducing to 10 pixels on the screen while a big moment in the game happens. Its an absolute farce that internet streaming is our method of showcasing the biggest sports event in the world.

I have had no issues with their EPL coverage over two seasons so I’m willing to give them a pass for the first few days. They need to get their act together soon though.

no name

Coach
What an absolute backwater we live in not being able to easily access the biggest sporting event in the world.

Pommy

Coach
If the Optus sports app is terrible for you, download the SBS world cup app (has a red logo in the app store). You can log in with your Optus Sports log in and the quality is far superior, have not had a problem with it.

Not at home right now to check myself but do you know if you can mirror it from your phone to a tv?

saint.nick

Coach
I have had no issues with their EPL coverage over two seasons so I’m willing to give them a pass for the first few days. They need to get their act together soon though.
The actual coverage is good, but what good is it for people if its delivery is unpredictable...

Pommy

Coach
Ok so I logged in to the SBS app with my Optus password and I am mirroring it on my Apple TV perfectly.
The iPhone and Apple TV Optus apps still don’t work.

Pommy

Coach
This is f**king amateur, they just put out an update to the SBS/Optus World Cup app out mid game so anyone (me) with auto update on had the app close and update mid game.

age.s

First Grade
This is f**king amateur, they just put out an update to the SBS/Optus World Cup app out mid game so anyone (me) with auto update on had the app close and update mid game.

At least yours was working at some point.

saint.nick

Coach
Someone needs to intervene and immediately take the rights off these f**king hopeless merkins. Luckily I have not had any playback error issues yet but unfortunately far too many people have. And while they are at it, take the EPL rights off them too, they have done a crap job with that too. It is all well ans good having that extensive punditry and highlights content on the app but the quality of the service is still poor as f**k far too often.

It absolutely rattles my brain that Optus thought it would be a great PR idea to win the rights to the worlds two biggest competitions with what is essentially experimential broadcasting technology. People in the f**king amazon rainforest have more reliable broadcast service than we do. f**king dropkicks, only in australia this could happen.