What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

organised crime and juice of the elephant pt V

carcharias

Immortal
A string of high profile players including Anthony Tupou and Ben Pomeroy were joined by Albert Kelly, Scott Porter Dean Collis, Broderick Wright, Josh Cordoba, Isaac Gordon, Paul Aiton, Nathan Gardner, Stewart Mills, Nathan Stapleton and Stuart Flanagan....

.... high profile.... dear God.... I wouldn't have wasted a single peptide on any of them.

I like Stuart's inclusion... I'm suing the club as my dad was incompetent and had insufficient oversight of his team.... maybe I should have told dad I was getting injections off site and this mess wouldn't have got out of control.

Are you sure they are related?

AJB1102

First Grade
A string of high profile players including Anthony Tupou and Ben Pomeroy were joined by Albert Kelly, Scott Porter Dean Collis, Broderick Wright, Josh Cordoba, Isaac Gordon, Paul Aiton, Nathan Gardner, Stewart Mills, Nathan Stapleton and Stuart Flanagan....

.... high profile.... dear God.... I wouldn't have wasted a single peptide on any of them.

I like Stuart's inclusion... I'm suing the club as my dad was incompetent and had insufficient oversight of his team.... maybe I should have told dad I was getting injections off site and this mess wouldn't have got out of control.

Nice little scenario you played out there, James, but Shane isn't Stuart's father.

Just to get in early, Isaac is not Michael's brother. Broderick is not related to the Manly winger and Albert is not a descendant of Ned.

El Diablo

Post Whore
looks like someones got something to hide

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...c/news-story/e8b5e268a18fe41fc49734036660d258

AFL threatens ASADA split if key documents in Essendon drugs saga are made public

MICHAEL WARNER, Herald Sun
March 12, 2018 7:30pm

THE AFL has threatened to cut ties with Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority drug testers if key documents in the Essendon supplements saga are made public.

The bombshell move, which could jeopardise millions of dollars in federal government funding for the league, was signalled in an affidavit filed by AFL integrity unit chief Tony Keane in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal last Friday.

The AFL has joined ASADA in fighting a Freedom of Information request made by a member of the public seeking access to doping control forms signed by Bombers players between August 2011 and September 2012.

“If the application is successful ... I anticipate that the AFL would give serious consideration to engaging an alternative supplier for the conduct of the testing required in connection with the AFL’s anti-doping program,” Keane told the tribunal, citing ASADA’s strict confidentiality obligations.

But the Herald Sun can reveal banned Bomber Nathan Lovett-Murray has joined the stoush to have the doping control forms released.

Lovett-Murray’s agent, Peter Jess, said the forms were being protected to cover up “serious flaws” in the Court of Arbitration for Sport’s findings that the Essendon players had colluded by failing to disclose the use of substances administered by sports scientist Stephen Dank.

“It is Nathan’s understanding that the dates of the doping control tests are crucial because most of the players’ tests were conducted before Thymosin beta-4 was available from a known source in Australia,” Jess said.

“Nathan considers it in the public interest that all relevant details surrounding the dates of his doping test be made available.”

The AFL was forced into a humiliating backdown 12 years ago when it threatened to walk away the World Anti-Doping Agency drug code over a dispute about penalties imposed for the use of illicit substances like cannabis.

While the AFL could remain WADA-compliant if samples collected by an independent agency were processed at a WADA-endorsed lab, the move would be certain to test relations with Canberra.

“The AFL is not obliged to retain ASADA for the purpose of conducting doping control tests but elects to do so,” Keane said in the affidavit.

“The AFL values highly the relationship that it has with ASADA ... that said, I am aware that there are private companies in Australia that offer the types of services that the AFL requires in connection with its conduct of the anti-doping (program).

“I anticipate that such private companies would not be an ‘agency’ for the purpose of the FOI Act (or other freedom of information legislation) and as such they would not be subject to a request of the nature of the underlying application.”

The FOI request is restricted to the names and dates of the urine and blood tests conducted by ASADA officers on Essendon players, with all other information redacted.

But Keane told the tribunal the AFL was concerned their release could “compromise the efficacy” of the anti-doping program.

The AFL integrity boss said they could also “subject a player to stigmatism and-or ridicule” because they were “obliged to list all prescription and non-prescription medications taken by them in the previous seven days”.

“Which, for example, may relate to the player’s undisclosed physical and/or mental illness, sexual dysfunction, medication for which a player has a Therapeutic Use Exemption etc,” Keane said.

But Jess said the release of the forms would demonstrate that players including Jobe Watson, Dyson Heppell, Mark McVeigh, Brent Prismall and Lovett-Murray had nothing to declare at the time they were drug tested.

“The alleged collusion simply did not take place,” Jess said.

In finding the players guilty of doping in January 2016, the CAS panel declared: “The complete failure of the vast majority of players who had to fill in a doping control form during the season to reveal the receipt of injections does not encourage confidence in their statements as to the limited or sporadic nature of what they were injected with”.

A separate Supreme Court hearing into the five-year drugs saga will be held on the eve of the Richmond-Carlton season-opener on March 21.

Human rights lawyer Julian Burnside, QC, is leading a case brought against AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan and former commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick alleging misleading and deceptive conduct.

AJB1102

First Grade
But Keane told the tribunal the AFL was concerned their release could “compromise the efficacy” of the anti-doping program.

efficacy
the ability to produce a desired or intended result.

Basically, we wanna go with a private drug testing company who, in the interests of profit, will provide results which the AFL desire rather than the independent government controlled testing which the AFL have found difficult to bribe and manipulate.

El Diablo

Post Whore
efficacy
the ability to produce a desired or intended result.

Basically, we wanna go with a private drug testing company who, in the interests of profit, will provide results which the AFL desire rather than the independent government controlled testing which the AFL have found difficult to bribe and manipulate.
yes well it stems from this

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/e8a9e69e80195ef98f4158fadaa152cd

Human rights lawyer Julian Burnside, QC, to lead case against AFL chief, ex-commission chairman

Michael Warner, Exclusive, Herald Sun
March 5, 2018 5:45pm

THE Essendon drugs saga will return to court just days before this month’s season opener.

Human rights lawyer Julian Burnside, QC, is leading a case brought against AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan and former commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick.

He is representing Melbourne lawyer Jackson Taylor, who alleges misleading and deceptive conduct during the five-year supplements scandal.

At a Supreme Court hearing before Justice John Dixon on March 19, three days before the Richmond-Carlton opener, lawyers for the AFL will argue for a limited trial.

If that application is dismissed, McLachlan, Fitzpatrick, former AFL boss Andrew Demetriou and former AFL integrity unit manager Brett Clothier face the prospect of being called to give evidence.

No senior AFL figure involved in the Essendon saga has ever been cross-examined in the witness box.

The case alleges McLachlan and Fitzpatrick contravened consumer law by misleading or deceiving the public over the AFL’s conduct in the saga, to protect its commercial interests and reputation.

Taylor seeks orders for the AFL to publish the truth about the matters over which he says the public was deceived.

He also seeks a declaration that McLachlan, Fitzpatrick and the AFL acted unlawfully in deceiving the public.

It centres on a series of public comments by senior AFL figures.

These include:

McLACHLAN’S denials that he asked the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority to “take bits out” of an interim report unfavourable to the AFL.

McLACHLAN’S denials that he tried to engineer outcomes before Essendon players and officials were interviewed by ASADA and the AFL.

FITZPATRICK’S denial that he told axed Essendon football boss Danny Corcoran in March 2016 that “your mate (James) Hird will never get back into football”.

Court documents revealing Mr Burnside’s involvement in the case were filed last month.

Mr Burnside represented Bombers coach James Hird at the peak of his fight against the AFL.

The AFL recently publicly endorsed Hird’s return to football, saying it supports Fremantle’s approach to him.

In an affidavit filed in February, lawyer Mark Dobbie, for the AFL, estimated “the likely duration of the trial at eight to 10 hearing days, but possibly more if (Mr Taylor) intends to call multiple witnesses”.

“I estimate the AFL will want to call between six to eight witnesses,” he said.

“Each will need to be proofed for the purpose of preparing detailed witness statements. As I have already indicated, some of the witnesses are now located overseas which is likely to make the task more difficult and costly.”

Mr Dobbie said “many, many thousands of documents will need to be sourced, collated and reviewed”.

The AFL applied last March for a dismissal of the case unless security for costs was provided. Security was provided.

Taylor, who has worked with law firm Arnold Bloch Leibler in Melbourne and Latham and Watkins in London, launched his case in February last year.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/1be63379545f8510a468ec8ab1ad8213

Controversial sports scientist Stephen Dank spotted at Rabbitohs-Broncos clash

DEAN RITCHIE, The Daily Telegraph
April 26, 2018 9:37pm

THE man behind the controversial Cronulla and Essendon supplements drama was back watching rugby league on Thursday night.

Sports scientist Stephen Dank sat on the western side of ANZ Stadium watching South Sydney take on the Brisbane Broncos.

The Daily Telegraph snapped this exclusive photo and then approached Dank for comment but he declined.

He appeared happy and relaxed and greeted this reporter with a warm handshake.

Dank, a biochemist, confirmed he had attended other rugby league games over the past few years but he has been elusive over the past two and has shied away from publicity.

Dank last night claimed the supplements drama might soon flare up again but he wouldn’t elaborate.

He watched last night’s match with friends and is no longer connected with a club.

The NRL was aware Dank was at ANZ Stadium.

Dank was central to the supplements scandal, which began at the Sharks in 2011 and the Bombers a year later.

Dank, who previously worked with the Manly Sea Eagles, is known for his unorthodox treatments. He once used calf blood to help treat injuries while at Brookvale.

Last year Dank claimed he was bankrupt and in 2016 he was injured in a shooting at his Melbourne home.

He claimed the shooting was an attempt to stop him exposing an NRL player’s doping exploits.