What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gronk

Staff member
Wow a whole 3months. That excellent warranty..Amazing. I'm sure some white coloured worker would know all the defects or thing that won't last more then 12mths.
And have looked in ceiling spaces, understand dummy tiles, poor waterproofing...
3 months warranty is stuff all really.

A mutual friend and his wife bought a apartment across the road from the bull and bush there on corner of Seven Hills & Windsor road about 3 years ago.

One of his mates who is carpenter when in and visited them last year at some point was mortfied looking at some structures inside the building and apartment he noticed plenty of things that the average joe who wouldn't have a clue & pick up.

If a purchaser has received good advice they would know that they would pay to get a building inspector to undertake a full inspection of the lot prior to the expiration of the defects warranty period.

Waterproofing is part of the common property and is a greater claim by the Owners Corporation and hence they have more than 3 months under consumer law.

White coloured workers ?

hindy111

Post Whore
So it's up to the consumer to catch them out and make sure they've done someyhing correctly. If they are unable to then bad luck.Nothing to see here and move along.

No wonder this countries going down the gurgler. In my work I offer a professional service and when someone pays for me I give a professional job and advice. Not ripping people off.Thats what I am trained to do. I expect the same when I engage people who are trained in a specific field/profession.

What a cluster f**k and the idea some of you are defending this garbage is mind blowing to me.

hindy111

Post Whore
But you're not a building inspector or an engineer and I accept you see a lot, we all do. The new building commission provide regular inspections on EVERY BUILDING NOW and a lot of site are being shut down till defects are rectified.

At one stage about 2 years ago we had over 50% of our residential developments shut down by the building commission. To say nothing is being done and they are allowing poor rules to sneak in is simply not true.

Do you work on high rises that are currently under construction ?

No. I used to but it's a bit to physical and repetitivefor me. I work on high tech automation projects mainly nowdays. Stuff you wouldn't understand even. Way over your head.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
My company works in high-rise construction - that Is currently in construction.

Can confirm there has been random inspections carried out by (I think it was) Fairtrading or Fairwork maybe?? (Could be wrong).

This has happened on multiple sites that we are on across Wollongong, Sydney and Newcastle.

IMO what is currently being brought forward (especially in terms of design) Is a step in the right direction.

Youare also a powerfull millionaire.

Good for inspections. Let's hope the backhanders and tips off's don't happen.

hindy111

Post Whore
If a purchaser has received good advice they would know that they would pay to get a building inspector to undertake a full inspection of the lot prior to the expiration of the defects warranty period.

Waterproofing is part of the common property and is a greater claim by the Owners Corporation and hence they have more than 3 months under consumer law.

White coloured workers ?

Have you ever read a recent building inspection? Unless something stands out like dogs balls a lot is cut and paste with a few photos added and with the same bullshit clauses at the end. I couldn't get into certain spots so can't guarantee any possible damage in certain areas.....
Been thru heaps when purchased my house 4yrs ago. Massive scam

Gronk

Staff member
Have you ever read a recent building inspection? Unless something stands out like dogs balls a lot is cut and paste with a few photos added and with the same bullshit clauses at the end. I couldn't get into certain spots so can't guarantee any possible damage in certain areas.....
Been thru heaps when purchased my house 4yrs ago. Massive scam
It's an apartment. Why are you talking about sub-floor access ?

We are talking about identifying defects to a fit-out of a concrete shell.

Gronk

Staff member
So it's up to the consumer to catch them out and make sure they've done someyhing correctly. If they are unable to then bad luck.Nothing to see here and move along.

No wonder this countries going down the gurgler. In my work I offer a professional service and when someone pays for me I give a professional job and advice. Not ripping people off.Thats what I am trained to do. I expect the same when I engage people who are trained in a specific field/profession.

What a cluster f**k and the idea some of you are defending this garbage is mind blowing to me.

1712200733483.png

Gronk

Staff member
With all due respect mate, @hindy111 is making very valid and practical points.
It's not all as simple as you are making out.
I will put in my two bob's worth a bit later when I have a bit more time.

I'm not sure I'm saying anything is simple, but fire away when you have the time.

the phantom menace

First Grade
What was that old joke about a dude having Nike tattooed on his schlong...?
Had to google it... (pro tip: don't click on the Wikipedia page called Genital Tattooing 🤯).

A girl at a festival saw a fit guy full of tattoos, and started to ask him about them.

He had "Nike" tattooed on his arms, "Reebok" tattooed on his legs, "Puma" tattooed on his neck. He said that he was an athlete and when the tattoos were seen on TV, the companies paid him a commission.

They kept talking, one thing led to another and back at her place with less clothes on that night she saw one more tattoo - and was shocked to see he had "Aids" tattooed on his dick.

She started to have second thoughts, and asked him why he had that tatt. He said "Relax, when I get horny it becomes Adidas..."

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
Building inspections, as @hindy111 says, are a joke. So many covenants in their reports covering their own arses.
I'm lucky due to the fact that 45 years of commercial, industrial and residential industry experience has given me the knowledge to do my own inspections.

That's different to certification of building work though. Certification has certainly toughened up, as Twiz says. But that is not always good either.

I had a framing inspection today on site for a deck I am currently building in the Hills District. The inspector (an employee of the certification company who was no older than early 20's) had absolutely no idea what he was looking at.
How do I know this? Simply because of the questions I was being asked. Yet I am beholden to these clowns to get final approvals and occupation certificates, to sign my jobs off. The questions I was being asked I would expect from an inquisitive 2nd year apprentice carpenter. I don't suffer fools lightly.
I let him know that and also the fact that I had already had the framing inspected by an engineer, who they cannot override. It was a waste of the clients money, having to pay for this inspection and a waste of my working time having to deal with him.

With regards to built units/high rise construction, I went and looked at a rental unit in Castle Hill 4 years ago when I was unfortunately entering the rental market. I would only have been renting, but the workmanship of these units in this tower was absolutely appalling. Needless to say, I didn't sign a lease. These were brand new apartments adjacent to the Castle Hill metro station. Toplace built the Tower blocks. Run by Jean Nassif who is now in hiding in Lebanon and has left his daughter facing potentially multi million dollar fraud charges here in Oz.
Toplace has since started another 5 tower multi story development adjacent to Castle Towers which has come to a complete halt due to construction issues.

I agree with whoever said before not to buy in a unit block less than 20 years old and 3 stories high. I used to own one such residence at Concord West. It was as strong as f**k. Sadly, it had to be sold but that's where I'd be residing these days if not for personal circumstances.

Anyway the deck that I had inspected today. Hardly an issue for an inspector with knowledge.

1712214391505.png

Still some work to do to finish off trims and other stuff. Don't judge me yet.

Latest posts