What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

84 Baby

Referee
It sits on the ring of fire. So not really.

View attachment 86062
I was kidding.

Or am I?
images

84 Baby

Referee
Honestly the people who built those need recognition. The people who were in those buildings almost owe them their lives.

f**k me… even if the top has some remained stable, the weight that is now on that collapsed corner!
The pylons must be massive but then unless the exposed side ones have snapped (yet the crushed side ones haven’t?) they’d be adding even more weight on it

84 Baby

Referee
Did you know that an Aussie weapons manufacturer were at the centre of such a conspiracy theory ?

Yes, dudes from Macquarie Park were accused of making WMD.

I do know that. I also know it was blown somewhat out of proportion. When a new technology is developed, there is always going to be theoretical applications and people utilising those technologies are generally going to be the ones doing those theorising. But also should there be tighter control on experimenting on those applications? 🤷‍♂️ maybe but then we may not have penicillin

Suitman

Post Whore
Honestly the people who built those need recognition. The people who were in those buildings almost owe them their lives.

f**k me… even if the top has some remained stable, the weight that is now on that collapsed corner!
The pylons must be massive but then unless the exposed side ones have snapped (yet the crushed side ones haven’t?) they’d be adding even more weight on it

Yes, it is extraordinary.
Both buildings look so top heavy in their current state that it is incredible they haven't completely collapsed.
This type of structural integrity is amazing.

And - the following is scary. Clearly near the end of the quake but still.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Yes, it is extraordinary.
Both buildings look so top heavy in their current state that it is incredible they haven't completely collapsed.
This type of structural integrity is amazing.

And - the following is scary. Clearly near the end of the quake but still.

It does amaze me the first thing people want to do is record a video these days.

I would be looking to find the safest place that is possible.

Not having a phone out recording where shit can fall on top and crush you.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I can't imagine any of those newer units built all around Sydney doing this. Actually I wouldn't be suprised if a strong wind caused them to crack.
I suspect buildings in high risk earthquake zones need to be built to a higher standard than buildings in Sydney.

Gronk

Staff member
I can't imagine any of those newer units built all around Sydney doing this.

It probably wouldn’t because of Sydney’s sandstone.

In Taiwan, they have had past problems with liquefaction.

hindy111

Post Whore
It probably wouldn’t because of Sydney’s sandstone.

In Taiwan, they have had past problems with liquefaction.

I suspect buildings in high risk earthquake zones need to be built to a higher standard than buildings in Sydney.

Along with the horrible standards our governments have allowed to sneak into the building standards in our country. People buying their dream unit and working their whole lives to find they've bought a lemon. It's criminal.
I've fixed a few things on some newer units and the quality is terrible. I canonly imagine how many will.leak into the car parks in 10yrs time.
Tradesmen used to take pride in their work. Now it's about crunch time. The amount of cheap garbage electrical products out there is wild. Unsure how they even get into the country.

Gronk

Staff member
Along with the horrible standards our governments have allowed to sneak into the building standards in our country. People buying their dream unit and working their whole lives to find they've bought a lemon. It's criminal.
I've fixed a few things on some newer units and the quality is terrible. I canonly imagine how many will.leak into the car parks in 10yrs time.
Tradesmen used to take pride in their work. Now it's about crunch time. The amount of cheap garbage electrical products out there is wild. Unsure how they even get into the country.

Well I’m not going say anything other than you reap what you sow. There are some governments that think that less regulation, cutting red tape, is the way to create jobs and boost productivity and the economy.

This government has given The Building Commission NSW very sharp teeth to come down hard on merkins.

We are going to pay the price for dodgy builders and their dodgy certifier mates for decades to come.

hindy111

Post Whore
like what ?

@Suitman What are your thoughts.I am sure you've seen some horrible standards.

I've been thru friends new units with drummy tiles, car parls leaking, bathrooms leaking. Gone to replqlace gPOS OR LighT SWITCHES AND WIRES just fall out as terminals not tightened. Ducts not connected. The list goes on.

Gronk

Staff member

I've been thru friends new units with drummy tiles, car parls leaking, bathrooms leaking. Gone to replqlace gPOS OR LighT SWITCHES AND WIRES just fall out as terminals not tightened. Ducts not connected. The list goes on.
You're talking about minor defects within the lot.

The crux if the problem is much larger than that. Mascot Towers has some sections of their concrete pour that did not pass. They have combustible cladding, water penetration into nearly all lots. Worse, they have structural slabs in the basement that have shifted.

Attachments

• 0150 Mascot Towers Owners Corporation.pdf
    358.8 KB · Views: 0

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

those are defects, not standards that the govt has allowed to "sneak in"

the NSW Building Commission has done the opposite, although some of thier better personnel have already left from having to deal with bureaucracy and we are left with public servants who cant get a gig for private enterprise

its still a work in progress

Latest posts