What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Old skool oz rock .

carcharias

Immortal
Spy vs Spy
Heathcote pub
July 19
Sunday arvo 4pm,
Free.

I don't give a fug what anyone says , these dudes have some cracking songs.

$3 pub bus between Yarrawarra and Helensburg.

Dunno what they are like these days but back in the day they used to get the Caringbah Inn swingin like a big donkeys dick.

Craig Bloxsom doesnt play in them anymore mate, the guitarist Mike sings now, sounds kinda the same.
The first time i saw these guys was at the hordern supporting the oils, circa '84? they were farkin great. I loved that song One of a Kind. I seem to have a copy of their first EP-Four Fresh Lemons floating around somewhere, very rare.
a youtube time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXfsofI1bbI

:cool:

DJDL

Bench
Awesome band the Spys.
AO Mod TV Vers was a must-have in the car on any surfing trip. Still got that one on vinyl, never got around to getting it on CD though. Could be time to head up to JB HiFi

carcharias

Immortal
oh really.

Bloxsom works on an oil rig or something to keep away from the demon drink I think I read.

I was wondering how he'd go playing in a pub.

..spewin.

I always likes AO and Oceania.
The guitar player is a gun from memory.

DJDL

Bench
Yeah AO was a good one. The guitarist I wouldn't call a gun by any stretch of the imagination, but he has a good sound, is pretty creative and has a good sense of melody

oh really.

Bloxsom works on an oil rig or something to keep away from the demon drink I think I read.

I was wondering how he'd go playing in a pub.

..spewin.

I always likes AO and Oceania.
The guitar player is a gun from memory.

Bloxsom may play again now mate, i'm not sure. I know they played the sando a bit back and he wasn't in them then. He was working as a guitar tech down at sound level, i'm down there on thursday so i'll see if i can find out.
They were turned onto christianity by messrs, Garrett and Morris.

DJDL

Bench
If you're looking for any old Spy stuff check the site mentioned below.
I lifted this straight off Craig Bloxom's myspace

I'm the bassplayer from the infamous Aussie band: vSpy vSpy but I work as a chef now. I just got back from 3 years overseas working on a drill-ship in the Gulf of Mexico. Sheri, Bella & I lived for 2 years in Mexico which was very wonderful but it's always nice to be back home. Now we're back in Newcastle: Bella's going to High School, Sheri's going to TAFE and I'm working at the John Hunter Hospital. To download the TS-Video folder of our vSpy film clips on it go to Vuze.com & download: then you can burn yourself a DVD. All our albums are available there also or on Mininova.com so help yourselves, it's all free!

Fein

First Grade
lol - what a blast from the past.

I watched the "Sally-Anne" (Huckstepp) clip.

Looks like kiki is a reincarnation. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Since 73

First Grade
They were turned onto christianity by messrs, Garrett and Morris.

Bloxsom used to stutter quite badly from memory when interviewed back then - never affected his singing though.

True story: some mates of mine were on a surfing trip up Noosa way (Sunshine Coast) in the very early 90's. Some Christian dudes started talking them and invited them to a Christian concert night in maroochydore. The nite of the concert the Spy V Spy guys turned up - apparently sone dudes from the church had run into them.
2 or 3 of the Spys got in a tank of water that nite and got baptised.

The Spy's were fantastic down at the Gong Uni Bar.

Loved his English accent on vocals, hang on he wasn't a Stains supporter was he???

Here's a bump @carcharias
I was having a discussion about these fellas today and I remembered that we'd once talked on this very subject, plus its off season so no better time than now to rehash.
It seems Bloxom hasn't played in "The Spys" since 2003, I heard that they'd been playing Brazil so I looked up some videos.
I recognised the guitarist, Mike, straight away but no one else.
I resorted to wiki and it is that Paul Greene bloke playing second guitar and vocals. His claim to fame is being an ex-athlete and mates with Rob Hirst, now he looks like he's part of a 3/4 cover band, with one original member making a living off Brazil. Good luck to him (them?)
In my mind, no Bloxom, no band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spy_vs_Spy_(Australian_band)

Plastered

Juniors
Saw them a couple of years ago at Batemans Bay Soldiers playing to a crowd of about 50. Guitarist is the only original left, but they still kicked arse, still worth seeing for sure. Guitarist is also one farked up looking individual. Pity Bloxom left as he was even awesomer live.

carcharias

Immortal
I saw Oils last night
Holy f**ken hell
Amazing
PG is a freak @ 63

I think they are maybe the best band to have come out of Australia
2 hours of hits

shadowboxer

First Grade
SVS brings back plenty of memories both good and bad.
Be careful getting that bus to Helensburgh - you might end up porking some one elses missus. Some weird stuff re-appearing down there that should have disappeared years ago.

I saw Oils last night
Holy f**ken hell
Amazing
PG is a freak @ 63

I think they are maybe the best band to have come out of Australia
2 hours of hits
I got given a couple of tickets for their last show of the tour on Nov 17th. I thought it was fitting since I saw the first one of the tour at Marrickville Bowlo.