What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT Sharpe & Badger to officiate NRL

I don't see how any of that is relevant if the individual can keep up with the requirements of the job.

We're not looking for the fastest person in the world. We're looking for someone who can keep up with the requirements of the game so that they can primarily do the duty of officiating. That's the only relevant question and it comes down to the ability of the individual, not sex.
It's about decision making under duress.

Watch how they train the referees and how they put them through their paces.

Put them under load to bring about fatigue and then test them on their judgement and cognitive capabilities.

There was insight a while back into the training regimes of the referees which was quite interesting.

A female will be put under load a lot quicker because genetically they just don't have the tank for it. Again genetics. Lung size..lower VO2 Max, heart size, hormones.. testosterone vs. Estrogen.. males carry more oxygen in their system.

I've watched Casey a number of times and she's definitely catching her breath at times when she's talking to the players. She's on the limiter so to speak. Does she have more levels to her fitness? Who knows, but to place a female you've probably overlooked a bunch of men more capable and deserving of the call up. That CAN go an entire NRL season. Not just token games.

Best candidate for the job like stake said.

NRLW is kicking goals, there is nothing wrong with young female referees having role models in the woman's game to drive their path forward.

R-15-3

Bench
They are all f**ken fit, I cant speak after a lap around the over let alone the amount they run and speak in a game. I’d be calling a knock on every set for a breather and hope they use the captains challenge for some extra time.

They are all f**ken fit, I cant speak after a lap around the over let alone the amount they run and speak in a game. I’d be calling a knock on every set for a breather and hope they use the captains challenge for some extra time.
This thread has actually made me wonder whether that goes on.
Fast game, refs tired, penalty broncos haha

Quicksilver

Bench
It's about decision making under duress.

Watch how they train the referees and how they put them through their paces.

Put them under load to bring about fatigue and then test them on their judgement and cognitive capabilities.

There was insight a while back into the training regimes of the referees which was quite interesting.

A female will be put under load a lot quicker because genetically they just don't have the tank for it. Again genetics. Lung size..lower VO2 Max, heart size, hormones.. testosterone vs. Estrogen.. males carry more oxygen in their system.

I've watched Casey a number of times and she's definitely catching her breath at times when she's talking to the players. She's on the limiter so to speak. Does she have more levels to her fitness? Who knows, but to place a female you've probably overlooked a bunch of men more capable and deserving of the call up. That CAN go an entire NRL season. Not just token games.

Best candidate for the job like stake said.
"Probably"

How do you know they can't go an entire season? There needs to be an entry point at some stage. Do you only have players that started the season in Round 1?

And I agree, best person for the job. I just think over a period of time there's every chance that some of the best people will inevitably have a vagina.

Sharkman

Juniors
There’s incompetent referee hacks in every sport at every level.

If the girls are trash, so be it. What’s the other option, that knob everyone agrees is trash?

Give em a go and if they suck then punt them.

PJ

First Grade
Yep, part of that is they cant even keep up with the play. Not that they got any help from the touchies on some of those foward passes. There was plenty of glaring differences that suggest it won't be viable into the future.

I barely watched the game but the Manly try I saw the pass was that forward it wasn't funny and the touchy was dead inline. Plus it went from one side of the 20m line and the guy was barely moving so it wasn't momentum and it hadn't drifted as a result.

Last edited:

Eion

First Grade
The males refs are pretty fit, they are not elite athletes. NRL should have tough athletic tests that you need to pass before blowing a whistle, those markers should be the same for males, females, trans, whatever.

You pass and you’re in the pot for possible selection.

This will be interesting.

lets see how many games, which games are allocated, how many rounds. Hope they don't get any special treatment on game selection.

I want to see one of them for origin.

Link

“It doesn’t matter whether you’re male or female, whenever a referee takes that step from refereeing at the State Cup level and moving into the NRL, the first thing that you notice is that huge leap in speed,” he said.

“The feedback I got from them which is pretty valid and common is the speed in which you have to make your decisions.

“The game moves at such a faster pace that you’re making decisions constantly in a much more compressed timeframe.

“You don’t tend to have those slightly longer breaks in play between plays where you can think a bit more and take more time with your responses.

“At the NRL level, everything just happens in an instant. If you don’t react quickly then everything has moved on and you’ve missed the opportunity.”

Quicksilver

Bench
What point are you trying to make exactly?

How do you determine if they are getting special treatment? as opposed to the regular selection of game refs?