What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ozzie

henrieté

Juniors
Ozzie's phone has been disconnected. I have found his Son's phone number but would feel like a stalker if I rang him.

Hope I'm not the last one left of the three amigo's.

Dave Q

Coach
Ozzie's phone has been disconnected. I have found his Son's phone number but would feel like a stalker if I rang him.

Hope I'm not the last one left of the three amigo's.

Dont feel estranged, Ozzie had some mates here who have been asking of him for awhile now.

And all of the enquiries have been well-intentioned.

As I said, he was quite well-respected even amongst his sworn enemies which is very very rare.

So if you could make a sensitive and kindly approach, I would be grateful anyway.

If he has gone, then we need some sort of respect thread where we say good things about him and what he said so that in some small way he can be honoured and remembered.

Because we are people who shared some of his life with him.

He didnt seem the sort of guy who wanted a fuss, he was very brave and courageous in hospital. He didnt like sympathy, he wanted to be treated as he was beforehand.

You know he was one of the few that we tolerated dissing us at the Souths forum, way before anyone realised how sick he was.

He'd said he rather die before supporting Souths and he wasnt crapping on playing the hero, he actually meant what he said.

Few people could claim to be so loyal. I look up to that.

We are all going to die, but while we live, if someone we liked dies, they should be honoured.

Last edited:

henrieté

Juniors
None, sorry Dave. The other number I have is also disconnected. So we can safely presume Ozzie is M.I.A. I have taken the liberty of pinching his Roosters 2008 signature banner.

Dave Q

Coach
If it turns out Ozzie has left this place then I'll be happy to wear his banner for a week in tribute.

Big Mick

Referee
I hope everything is ok.

Ozzie is one of the most genuine people I have ever encountered on this site.

It would be an utter shame if he were to have left this world.

Monk

Referee
it could be easy to organise, im thinking the week/month following australia day, we could just use ozzies "roosters 08" bannner or have a tribute banner made.

should i start a thread?

Dave Q

Coach
I think he would enjoy the irony of his greatest foes and oft critics wearing his badge.

It would be great if the ozzie fans at Souths LU outnumbered those on Roosters LU.

That would be bittersweet for him, but we all know, his on-line life was a bit like that anyway.... so its a fair reflection.

He was one of the first guys I met on LU.

We argued heaps. Horrendus abusive posts, personal and ugly. Warzone material.

Then one day I was reading some of his stuff and I started to think a bit more about the guy behind the posts. I worked out that I kinda liked him in a begrudging kind of way.

Then I published those thoughts.

I think he was a bit surprised (aghast!!).. anyway, then we started to get on a bit better. Not really close or anything but maybe mutually interested in the topic, we started to have proper conversations. A bit like a couple after relationship counselling. Cold but genuinely cordial. It was constructive and our on-line future friendship looked quite bright. As we came from other clubs, that would always be a problem, but there was some underlying understanding and even similarities.

He had a sharp mind thats for sure. If he passed away when we think he did, he was cogent and adroit until the end.

He could be ugly blunt but also quite surreptitious and covert.

His love for the roosters was inspiring to all of die-hards of other clubs. He led the way in the loyalty department.

The tribute should contain a few of our own fave ozzie quotes etc.

You know he thought highly of us, you can see that when he shared his last few days. To share those deeply personal things. Made me feel close to him even if I was probably well down on his list of mates and/or acquaintances.

I was somewhere there though, stumbling around in the back of the room when he was at the centre of the circle with everyone listening..... I suppose thats all that matters.

He also knew a lot about rugby league, a lot more than most of his LU peers and therefore, a lot more than me.

In our thoughts Ozzie.

Last edited:

henrieté

Juniors
Guys I think this is a great idea. I can talk to admin if you like and see if they would like some involvement. I think Australia Day is an ideal time to kick this off.

So, if you like let me know and I will see if the LU crew would like to help us out getting this off the ground.

henrieté

Juniors
Ok, to let you know I have put up a post in the Mods forum about Ozzie's Australia Day Tribute. Once I hear back from them I will let you know.

I figure, that if we do this, lets do it right and make it HUGE! Trust me, Ozzie though a humble Man would love to know that he was so highly regarded.

Added:

Well, there are no drama's with doing this. How it is done logistically, can be discussed along the way. Willow, has given me a link to a forum 7's article he wrote.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=204965

Gentlemen, knock yourselves out in doing a great job, if it means a few p'm's and posts in other forums we can sort that as we go.

Last edited:

Monk

Referee
this is building up great, should we use his "roosters 08" banner, perhaps a slightly modified version of that banner, or a tribute banner.

if you think either of the last 2, then throw around ideas and we will ask someone in the wet canvas (timmah or pumba) to hopefully make one properly.

henrieté

Juniors
I like your idea of a Tribute Banner Monk. Ozzie 'loved' banners. We were always changing them and what not when we were in the Forum 7's, in fact he drove us mad! lol.

Whatever banner is chosen I will wear it permanently.

Monk

Referee
k, i have started a thread, Henriete, you can edit the first post to include some stuff i may have forgotten.