What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta v Raiders TRIAL Game Day Thread @ Netstrata Jubilee Stadium Feb 17, 2024

Tiger5150

Bench
I saw laziness/lack of detail in between his big runs and front on hits. But the thing is he isn’t here as a starter. Lane & Cartwright will start for us, Matterson will probably be first injury cover at backrow. Then we still have Greig & Ofahengaue to fill bench. Tuilagi is at best 17th pick for us at full strength

of course, if his minutes are significantly reduced coming off the bench, his ability to focus and not be lazy will be increased and his bigger impact moments will outweigh his liabilities.

In that case the bigger question is that in the modern game, can any team afford to use up a bench spot with a low mileage second rower?

the phantom menace

First Grade
I think any perceived criticisms of the current status of the junior/reggie players in relation to potential 2024 NRL-level appearances are actually just more a criticism of the structures which we play with/to in senior level? i.e. that those structures aren't quite as "next man up" in style as say the Penrith or Storm structures appear to be? 11 years etc etc.

Avenger

Immortal
The coaching staff got a good look again at the mid tier back ups, the backline back ups are barely Cup standard , Dunster is too easily run around due to that savage hip drop injury, Cini is worse than Lumelume, and they are the principal back ups.
Forwards are OK, you get effort from all,of them and Greig showed out and Ogden was serviceable.
As has been said before , the need for that one close to elite 3/4 line player is even more urgent.
The juniors got an idea of what’s needed for the next step.
Special mention to Sean Russell, he’s matured and looks set for a good year.
Good summary. Hopefully BA realises his son is not ready physically to play against men. Picking him was negligent.

Delboy

First Grade
Well to be fair the ACLs would have taken them off guard. Young Penisini was obviously on a pathway to NRL 24/25/26 and AMS could develop that way too. Last year in Flegg we had Dick P, Blaize in the centres with also with Sammy L.

That’s fine to say we could have someone coming through in a year or two, we lost Jenko and Fergo what 4/5 years ago and for some reason they were never replaced with anyone close to their ability. Sure we had to sign the obvious 1,6,7,8 and 10, but ignored the 2 to 5 area, that’s was and is shortsighted and a little negligent, but that’s only my opinion. That should have been recruitment for dummies.

84 Baby

Referee
of course, if his minutes are significantly reduced coming off the bench, his ability to focus and not be lazy will be increased and his bigger impact moments will outweigh his liabilities.

In that case the bigger question is that in the modern game, can any team afford to use up a bench spot with a low mileage second rower?
Take a look around league. Expansion means a bunch of players who wouldn’t have otherwise played, get a run

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Of course, I made the same point in my post following the one you quoted. All, some or none of these young guys *may* make it as first graders, but it’s very hard to see any of them making it in 2024.
That’s why none of them are in the top 30 in 2024. The youngest top 30 players are Russell, Penisini and Mataele, who are 22. The rest of the youngsters who played yesterday are outside the top 30. They aren’t intended to play first grade this year.

forward pass

Coach
Yeah puzzling

Removing lot of yellow (gold) from the main strip is pretty bad, removing our gold away strip for a white one is puzzling beyond belief
I think the management of our club have clearly decided that gold should not be part of our colours. They are weeding it out the main jersey and prefer wearing all white instead of gold alternate jerseys. It’s a disgrace.

Enamoured Eel

Juniors
I think the management of our club have clearly decided that gold should not be part of our colours. They are weeding it out the main jersey and prefer wearing all white instead of gold alternate jerseys. It’s a disgrace.

I’ll eat my words and say that the home jersey this year is actually very nice in combination with the gold numbering, and partly gold socks and shorts.

Totally agree that the away jersey should just be the inverse of the home jersey though. I don’t understand why it isn’t…

JokerEel

Coach
Well to be fair the ACLs would have taken them off guard. Young Penisini was obviously on a pathway to NRL 24/25/26 and AMS could develop that way too. Last year in Flegg we had Dick P, Blaize in the centres with also with Sammy L.

It will be interesting to see who they have recruited for Flegg. From the TCT blog, @MarkInTheStands said the Eels won the Flegg trial vs Dogs 8 tries to 2.

Man it's awesome to be a club member and not get any of this information from the club...

Would like to have known the Cup and Flegg sides. Must be a huge secret.

Anyway good to see both Cup and Flegg get the Ws

emjaycee

Coach
That’s fine to say we could have someone coming through in a year or two, we lost Jenko and Fergo what 4/5 years ago and for some reason they were never replaced with anyone close to their ability. Sure we had to sign the obvious 1,6,7,8 and 10, but ignored the 2 to 5 area, that’s was and is shortsighted and a little negligent, but that’s only my opinion. That should have been recruitment for dummies.
We lost Jenko 3 years ago (end of 2020) and Fergo 2 years ago (end of 2021).
Opacic was the short term replacement for Jennings until Penisini was ready and he debuted in 2021 and now owns that spot with 57 FG games under his belt at 21 years of age. We already had Waqa on the other side and didn't need to recruit someone else.

Ferguson's replacement was meant to be Dunster who we all know suffered that horrific injury in the 2022 trials, and as a result Simmonson was given the wing spot and spent most of 2022 there until swapped with Blake. Blakes shit form in 2023 gave Russell the wing spot and Simmonson kept the centre position.

Sure, we lack depth in those spots but I reckon we had their replacements on the books until Dunsters injury and Blake's drop in form hurt us more than we planned for.

JokerEel

Coach
Not usually within 3 seconds of a debut. Last time it happened to a hooker in our jersey, he never returned again to play for us.

Edit: Ian Henderson.

It did happen in the sharks knights game 3 seconds into the match first game back for the poor guy from an ACL.

Gronk

Staff member
Man it's awesome to be a club member and not get any of this information from the club...

Would like to have known the Cup and Flegg sides. Must be a huge secret.

Anyway good to see both Cup and Flegg get the Ws
I am guessing that these unofficial trials would be on the Manly and Dogs sites then ?

JokerEel

Coach
We lost Jenko 3 years ago (end of 2020) and Fergo 2 years ago (end of 2021).
Opacic was the short term replacement for Jennings until Penisini was ready and he debuted in 2021 and now owns that spot with 57 FG games under his belt at 21 years of age. We already had Waqa on the other side and didn't need to recruit someone else.

Ferguson's replacement was meant to be Dunster who we all know suffered that horrific injury in the 2022 trials, and as a result Simmonson was given the wing spot and spent most of 2022 there until swapped with Blake. Blakes shit form in 2023 gave Russell the wing spot and Simmonson kept the centre position.

Sure, we lack depth in those spots but I reckon we had their replacements on the books until Dunsters injury and Blake's drop in form hurt us more than we planned for.

This makes a bit of sense.

If Blake's form didn't tank we don't even have this discussion.

I do think the club needs to sign up a centre for 2025 as Dick will be another year away Simmonoson should be let go and Cini less spoken about his signing the better.

JokerEel

Coach
I am guessing that these unofficial trials would be on the Manly and Dogs sites then ?

I ain't clicking on those scum clubs website!

I am assuming they are not? So just because they aren't promoting them we shouldnt?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This may surprise you, but I didnt watch the trial. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd guess made some very strong runs and a couple of hard hits front on? Does the flashy showy things well....for a while.
That's why he plays on the edge and not in the middle. Like Papali'i.
People who hang on every word I post will remember that I said that Tigers fans were VERY excited about Kelma after his first 3 NRL games for us. I and most fans were devastated when he signed for Manly because he looked a strong runner who could hit hard. After a couple more games Tigers fans were happy to pack his bags to Manly. Manly were happy to ship him to Parra in less than 12 months.
That's because they were paying him as a starter. Are we paying him as a starter? We already have Lane, Cartwright and Matterson. I doubt there's much left to pay Tuilagi the kind of money you'd give to a long minutes starting player.
Tigers and Manly fans have all had the happy fuzzy feelings you guys are having right now, and Im glad for you, enjoy them and live in the moment. Bookmark this post. Halfway through the season you will be commenting on his lazy defence and lack of commitment. I was right about Joffa, im right about Kelma.
Ofahengaue is a quality defender. That's why he played Origin and 172 NRL games before his 28th birthday. Completely different pedigree to Tuilagi, who is unproven as a first grader. Which we knew when we signed him and will be reflected in his price.
Enjoy the sunshine, it feels nice.
It does. It's nice to have depth.

Eelementary

Post Whore
This may surprise you, but I didnt watch the trial. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd guess made some very strong runs and a couple of hard hits front on? Does the flashy showy things well....for a while.

People who hang on every word I post will remember that I said that Tigers fans were VERY excited about Kelma after his first 3 NRL games for us. I and most fans were devastated when he signed for Manly because he looked a strong runner who could hit hard. After a couple more games Tigers fans were happy to pack his bags to Manly. Manly were happy to ship him to Parra in less than 12 months.

Tigers and Manly fans have all had the happy fuzzy feelings you guys are having right now, and Im glad for you, enjoy them and live in the moment. Bookmark this post. Halfway through the season you will be commenting on his lazy defence and lack of commitment. I was right about Joffa, im right about Kelma.

Enjoy the sunshine, it feels nice.

I'm not saying that Tuilagi will magically turn into a consistently good player because he is in the Blue and Gold, but one thing Brad Arthur has shown he is very good at, is getting the best out of his forwards.

Beau Scott, Bryce Cartwright, Andrew Davy, Ogden...

He's managed to get consistent performances out of them.

Time will tell whether he can do that with Tuilagi, though.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This was his first game at fullback. The pulling the hands away on the bomb is concerning but understandable, previous to this he's played: lock, halves, centre in aged competitions. I think if you give him the year in reserves playing fullback he'll be more confident catching bombs in those situations.
And don't forget, he is more than young enough to learn. I don't think merkins realise how young he is. He is still eligible for SG Ball this year.

Latest posts