What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Gallen should retire from Origin

Tinkler

Juniors

NSW Blues captain Paul Gallen confirms his availability for Origin in 2016

NSW skipper Paul Gallen has confirmed he will make himself available to play Origin in 2016.

Gallen’s representative future was a source of contention during his latest contract negotiations with Cronulla, but having signed a one-year deal with the club a fortnight ago, a question still remained as to whether Gallen would go around again for the Blues.

Speaking to Triple M’s Rush Hour on Wednesday evening, Gallen declared he will return to the interstate arena if his form next year warrants it.

“I’ll be available, I’ll definitely be available,” Gallen said.

“If Laurie Daley picks me for State of Origin I’ll be available, no doubt about it.”

Gallen, who turns 34 this week, captained the Blues to their first series win in eight attempts in 2014, and was at the helm again when Queensland reclaimed the series with a record 52-6 thrashing at Suncorp Stadium in early July.

While the Blues have a wealth of backrow talent that will ensure Gallen earns his place, his experience will be highly valued by Daley given the changing of the guard NSW has seen over the last few years.

He Should retire and focus on his club... His get injured and tired from Origin and the club pays his wages...

His 34 time to pay back Cronulla ..

Discuss

MacDougall

First Grade
I agree and I think Farah should too. Farah bailing mid season for Origin or getting hung up on not getting picked has been affecting the Tigers for the better part of a decade.

BunniesMan

Immortal
With the huge money in Origin now, who in their right mind would? What's it at now? 30k a game? So 90k for 3 nights work. There is a long list of legitimate reasons to criticize Gallen, this is not one of them.

big hit!

Bench
I agree and I think Farah should too. Farah bailing mid season for Origin or getting hung up on not getting picked has been affecting the Tigers for the better part of a decade.

If Daley wants a longer term career as NSW Origin coach, then he would be wise to not select Gallen or Farah whether they're available or not.

time to re-instate the team ethos in NSW Origin, not prolong the me ethos.

Tinkler

Juniors
paul lollin should do the right thing and retire from rep football before he embarrasses himself any further

sorry too late

maxresdefault.jpg

235681-paul-gallen.jpg

davi

Juniors
Paul Gallan doing a Travolta? James Tamou says he certainly is in favor of it. I doubt it will happen though, and NSW has alot of depth in the forwards that its time to be starting to think of getting players such as Shannon Boyd and Paul Vaughan are go.

Gallan concentrating on his club footy is definitely better from a Sharks perspective. He also racked up alot of injures from origin and missed a fair share of NRL games at end of his tenure, you can hardly suggest that he 'pulled the pin' too quick.

"
James Tamout says Paul Gallen pulled the pin too early on his Origin career

PAUL Gallen has pulled the pin too early on his NSW Origin career and his form would see him walk straight back into Laurie Daley’s side.

In the same week Loz whittled his squad down to the teeny, weeny number of 52, Blues prop James Tamou said Gallen, 35, had retired from the representative arena too early.

Tamou said the only other prop who had the same presence on a team as Gal was Queensland equivalent Matt Scott.

Gallen leads the forwards in the NRL in metres gained as he prepares to take on Tamou’s Penrith on Sunday afternoon at Pepper Stadium.

“He’s going really well and I don’t know why he pulled the plug so early,’’ Tamou told Sport Confidential.

“Maybe he wanted to concentrate on Cronulla, who have already won a premiership. It’s a tough decision. He’s always a chance to come out and surprise everyone, but it also wouldn’t be a surprise because he’s playing so well.’’

Gallen polarises the rugby league world, and Tamou said the warrior had done plenty of things to him on the field when going head to head.

“If your head is there he’ll bash it, and he doesn’t hide from that,’’ Tamou said.

“I say the same thing about Matt Scott, when you know Gal is right beside you, for some reason your confidence grows.’’

Gallen met with Loz last week for lunch, but we’re told an Origin comeback was not discussed. Should we lose Origin I, Loz could do worse than send an SOS to Gal."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/news-story/388e1f7d95810c504a13a08496dbbed8