What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul MacGregor and Trent Barrett

Prometheus

Juniors
These two players played for the Illawarra Steelers and St George at the same time. Their careers overlapped from 1996 to 2001 at these two clubs.

In 2016, they are coaching two of the worst teams in the competition.

Conclusion: Ex players from the Illawarra Steelers who went on to play for St George make shit first grade NRL coaches.

Feel free to comment.

Two incidences does not make a trend.:roll:

TITAN MAN

Juniors
Might sound strange because we haven't won a game but I think Brown is doing a very good job with the Knights. Not many coaches would have the guts to put so much faith in so many inexperienced kids knowing full well it's going to take them a while to learn how to win games at that level.

Too early to judge with Barrett - he hasn't been given an easy job either.

Mary is terrible though.

This needs to be put into reality, Brown has been met with teams that are note going to make the 8, and when he has met those teams, they have had key players out, been coming off 5 day turnarounds and had injuries through those games, so the knights aren't travelling at all, trust me on that, they will get pumped by the broncos this week by 30. The dragons have played - the storm, the broncos, the cowboys, souths, the sharks, and the panthers, so lets looks get real about that, yes their attack is woeful but they will finish with a flurry. Manly are going as good as they can, so no brown is not doing that well mate.

Noname36

First Grade
This needs to be put into reality, Brown has been met with teams that are note going to make the 8, and when he has met those teams, they have had key players out, been coming off 5 day turnarounds and had injuries through those games, so the knights aren't travelling at all, trust me on that, they will get pumped by the broncos this week by 30. The dragons have played - the storm, the broncos, the cowboys, souths, the sharks, and the panthers, so lets looks get real about that, yes their attack is woeful but they will finish with a flurry. Manly are going as good as they can, so no brown is not doing that well mate.

Lol champ - I never said I thought the Knights were going well now. I said I think Brown is doing a good job (in terms of I think he is making the right calls and having the guts that Bennett and Stone didn't). It's not showing on the ladder, and you're right, they won't win many games this year, but I think he's making the right calls to help the squad be competitive with some time.

But :lol: do some simple research. Not many sides have had a harder draw than Newcastle this year (2 games at home, 5 day turn arounds going straight from NZ to Melbourne) so your whole point is rather stupid to begin with isn't it?

Last edited:

davi

Juniors
I'm still not convinced the Dragons have turned the corner yet, and too early in my opinion to be talking contract extension with Macgregor. Their third place on the ladder, but there is a long way to go yet.

"OFF-CONTRACT coach Paul McGregor is edging closer to re-signing at St George Illawarra, with his future expected to be finalised by round 12.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal McGregor has kickstarted informal positive negotiations to remain at the Dragons beyond this season.

It’s quite a turnaround for the ex-Test and Origin star.

Just last season, McGregor was under enormous pressure to keep his job following St George Illawarra’s disappointing 2016 campaign.

The Dragons claimed just 10 wins to finish 11th, prompting the club to conduct a comprehensive review in the off-season.

However the landscape has changed following St George Illawarra’s strong start to 2017.

The Dragons have won three of their opening four matches to sit in the top four heading into Sunday’s clash against the Wests Tigers at ANZ Stadium.

This form has been favourable for McGregor, who barring a string of disastrous defeats, is in the box seat to secure at new deal.

In the pre-season, he told reporters he was confident of extending his three-year deal at the Dragons.

“I’m real comfortable to be totally honest,” he said.

“The first year in we made the eight and last year wasn’t a success. This year is real important for me.

“I believe the pressure as a coach is a privilege. If you’re not under any pressure, you’re not really needed any more.

“To be a coach in the NRL there is always some deal of pressure. If I can shoulder most of that and keep it away from the players, and their performance doesn’t have to suffer, I’ll be one happy chap.’’

dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/dragons/dragons-coach-paul-mcgregor-aims-to-finalise-contract-extension-by-round-12-of-nrl/news-story/cc5d51e050e37375a3637b34c1dd98b8

stormbati

Bench
Surprising and impressive how the Dragons have improved their attack.
Manly are just playing to their potential really. Good recruiting and a spine that's finally coming good.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Surprising and impressive how the Dragons have improved their attack.
Manly are just playing to their potential really. Good recruiting and a spine that's finally coming good.

A couple of recruitment decisions have borne fruit. McInnes is a competent hooker who gets good quick ball to our forwards and helps us get a roll on. Mitch Rein was a f**king hand brake. Paul Vaughan is a beast, and is that one extra quality forward we needed. I thought Ricky was a moron for dropping him last year, and I thought he was a moron for moving him on. I was tickled pick when I heard we signed him. Jack de Belin has also stepped up this year. If Tariq Sims can recapture something remotely like his old form (not easy given the severity of his injury), then we'll have a proper formidable pack. The one issue is depth. Our starting 6 + Ah Mau and Sims is all quality, but then it falls right off. Our one good back up (Will Matthews) is gone for the year.

It is our forwards that have given our backs room to move, and this gives a perception that our attack has improved out of sight. It honestly hasn't, other than in one aspect: McGregor has finally given the team permission to play what is in front of them, rather than robotically perform ineffective set plays. A good team needs some good set plays though (because some defences won't give you glaring opportunities to exploit, like the Tigers yesterday), and I haven't seen any evidence that we have any. (c.f. The Dragons in 2009-10 with the left sweep play that we had so well rehearsed that, despite being simple and every opposing team knowing it was coming, seemed next to impossible to shut down. Or see your own mob with a litany of perfectly rehearsed set plays, 99% of which involve Smith, Cronk, and Slater, and which opposing teams seem powerless to shut down.)

God-King Dean

Immortal
McGregor is still a shit coach. The forwards are winning the game, not to do with anything Paul has come up with.

But I have no doubt he'll be re-signed.

I think the best thing about signing Hunt is there can be no excuses not to do well, no 'we are rebuilding/we don't have the players' excuse.

Lambretta

First Grade
Manly, after a wobbly start have been great
They really have been impressive

Dylan Walker totally outplayed Latrell on Friday - Tom and Jake T are brilliant and the offload / line break combo they have offer Manly huge advantages. DCE looks settled and happy and their forwards are aggressive and ready to roll their sleeves up.

I will be making a point of watching far more of their games this year

Latest posts