What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Vaughan

Gareth67

First Grade
Amazing what that one player with size and grunt will do for a forward pack .
Vaughan also adds that mongrel , similar to Simms , that ' take no prisoners ' approach that the Dragons have been lacking for so many years now .

He is the perfect foil for Packer , who is more head down , straight ahead , but certainly won't shy away when the going gets tough .

How wonderful to finally see that real go- forward from our pack , as I have already mentioned previously, the longer that they can play together, the better the combination will become and as a result the better the pack shall be . Awesome !

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
SOO 2017 Potential Forward Pack

Vaughan
Farah
Woods
Thompson
Frizzel

Cordner

Bench
Fifita
Klemmer
Jackson
Bird

giboz71

First Grade
I don't think our pack will be dominated this year.

Seeing Vaughan, then Packer, then Friz, then JBD run it up, its relentless. Then Sims and Ah Mau come in after 25 mins or so. There is no let up. Imagine when Mose gets fit. And Vaughan is fast becoming one of my favourite players.

Reminds me of those giant Bulldogs packs of recent years, and the boys look fit too which is great. Seems Mary wants physical players in his team more than finesse players, hence Mann, Leilua and Milne can't get a game even if they are more skilful than some of the starters.

If it works, so be it.

BennyV

Referee
SOO 2017 Potential Forward Pack

Vaughan
Farah
Woods
Thompson
Frizzel

Cordner

Bench
Fifita
Klemmer
Jackson
Bird
Thompson wont be there. Cordner will (rightfully) be second row, with the back up being Wade Graham. If JDB keeps this sort of form up, he MIGHT be a smokey for the bench though.

Old Timer

Coach
Amazing what that one player with size and grunt will do for a forward pack .
Vaughan also adds that mongrel , similar to Simms , that ' take no prisoners ' approach that the Dragons have been lacking for so many years now .

He is the perfect foil for Packer , who is more head down , straight ahead , but certainly won't shy away when the going gets tough .

How wonderful to finally see that real go- forward from our pack , as I have already mentioned previously, the longer that they can play together, the better the combination will become and as a result the better the pack shall be . Awesome !
Vaughan is a big, powerful and very athletic body whereas Masoe is just a big body.
If the forwards keep doing as well as last week Masoe will not make 1st grade unless though injuries or a large SOO representation.

Dragsters

First Grade
I don't think our pack will be dominated this year.

Seeing Vaughan, then Packer, then Friz, then JBD run it up, its relentless. Then Sims and Ah Mau come in after 25 mins or so. There is no let up. Imagine when Mose gets fit. And Vaughan is fast becoming one of my favourite players.

Reminds me of those giant Bulldogs packs of recent years, and the boys look fit too which is great. Seems Mary wants physical players in his team more than finesse players, hence Mann, Leilua and Milne can't get a game even if they are more skilful than some of the starters.

If it works, so be it.

Agreed giboz, it's great to see the forwards dominate.

If Mary is really looking for physical players then Milne for lafai makes even more sense and would be the only change in the run on squad I would make.

Aside from that I feel Field would benefit more from playing full games in the halves at cup level and Mann on the bench would be more versatile cover as well.

Would be keen to hear your thoughts on this as I enjoy your posts mate and feel our thinking is generally similar.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Yes, Vaughan played well but let's not all lose our panties on the strength of one game against a substandard opponent.

There's a helluva long way to go.

On first impression though, he is mobile for a 'big unit'.

This said, I miss Mike Cooper, who probably would've still made the top 17 in place of Au Mau or Host.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Vaughan is a big, powerful and very athletic body whereas Masoe is just a big body.
If the forwards keep doing as well as last week Masoe will not make 1st grade unless though injuries or a large SOO representation.

Agree ot
Mose will only be a 20 to 30 minute impact player who can change the game for you.
I don't think we will see the best of him untill at least round 7 or 8.
Needs plenty of kms under his belt.
On Saturday he was puffing a lot he only played 30 minutes I think.
So plenty of work for him to go.
As you say could be handy SSO time.
Luciano is the same played bigger minutes but was still need more time. Imo

dragonssamy61

First Grade

If Mary is really looking for physical players then Milne for lafai makes even more sense and would be the only change in the run on squad I would make.

Aside from that I feel Field would benefit more from playing full games in the halves at cup level and Mann on the bench would be more versatile cover as well.

Would be keen to hear your thoughts on this as I enjoy your posts mate and feel our thinking is generally similar.

Dragsters
I would also have mann on the bench this week covers anywhere from 1 to 7 could even play a few minutes at 9.
Agree re field needs to have a run a full game will help him.
Also Parramatta is very physical team and I think mann is better suited against them

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Yes, Vaughan played well but let's not all lose our panties on the strength of one game against a substandard opponent.

There's a helluva long way to go.

On first impression though, he is mobile for a 'big unit'.

This said, I miss Mike Cooper, who probably would've still made the top 17 in place of Au Mau or Host.

Did you see how he played in the All Stars game? Even though he wasn't on the field for a very long time, he tore up against the Indigenous forward pack, and they are all rep players. Every run he made he had three players hanging off him, busting tackles like nobodies business, always getting an arm free for the offload, in fact i'm pretty sure he made a line-break in there as well.
Vaughan has always been quality, he doesn't need to prove himself anymore than he already has.

giboz71

First Grade

Cheers mate.

I was pretty surprised Lafai was picked ahead of Milne and Mann to be honest. But I keep hearing what a great pre season he had.

But regardless of the centres, Duges and Widdop are the keys. If our forwards play like that, then these guys as our marquis spine players have to lead the way. For a long time now, I feel they haven't lived up to their reputations.

All the good sides have their big 2 or 3, usually their spine players. Storm, Cows, Sharks (when Ennis and Barba were there), Broncos, Raiders, they all have them.

We need that too, and at least this year It has to be Duges and Widdop. If they fire like they did against the Panthers, as long as our centres and backrowers are serviceable, we will do well.

It's why a lot of previously no name centres and backrowers from the Storm and Cows do so well, as they have the best players to feed them.

possm

Coach
Yes a team's spine is the key to success. Dugan played very well, Widdop improved out of sight and McCrone showed he can organise a team and kick judiciously. McInnes is the real deal and will only get better. An 80min hooker who can run, pass and kick well.

My centres - excluding Dugan who will stay at fullback at this stage - would be Milne and Mann

Gareth67

First Grade

O.T. - how did Mose come into the conversation ?

There's no doubting the the physical differences in Vaughan and the Man Mountain. However until such time as he , Mose , is 100% fit and also competent enough to take his place in the top grade , he shall remain with the Cutters .

I would like to see him on the Dragons bench , but only if he is 100% . My thoughts were that towards the middle part of the season he would , for his sheer size and bulk , would be able to make a contribution to the Big Red V , but always from the bench as an impact player .

When we play against the teams that also have large packs , such as Bullgrubs , Rorters and Cowboys etc., that is when a player such as Mose will be needed , but as I have said only if he is he has regained his fitness and confidence .

Old Timer

Coach
Gareth
A lot of people talked about the sheer size of Vaughan and I was just demonstrating the difference between big and mobile and just big thus the Masoe comment.
Looking at he nimbleness of some sides. I question whether Masoe's lack of mobility will actually be a hindrance despite the obvious positive effect he would have in attack.
Again I was trying demonstrate Vaughan will not suffer from that issue.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Knew he would be a great buy. He was great at the Raiders but they just had too many big boppers and Saints did well to snap him up. Worth every cent we paid. When it comes to front rowers, they seems to get good ones from Raiders e.g Weyman and now Vaughn

Latest posts