What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Vaughn ripped

ouryear

Juniors
Correct, it's the highest player per position.
I can understand all except Woods and I think u will find he only just got there.
Also for Coach of the year Paul Green during the first 26 rounds didn't feature top 4 coaches.
Let's not forget that the Cowboys on the live ladder were sitting 9th with 15 minutes to go when we played the Grubs.
In saying that though with a high injury toll and Scott / Thurston missing most of the year I take my hat off to Green and the Cowboys.
If u remember 2016 the roosters had plenty of injuries too but they went to shit which justifies the shitty choking team they are.
Dont like the rorters of course....but i think they lost around 6 key players versus cowboys just 2.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
er Season Review: Paul Vaughan
Fri 29th September, 03:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons prop Paul Vaughan reveals his thoughts and views on the season as part of the overall player season review.

Vaughan, who representated the NRL All Stars, NSW Country and the Prime Minister's XIII in 2017, scored a career high eight tries in his first season in the Red V.

1506662506583.jpg;pv19a0676428a1e8aa

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/09/29/player_season_review_314136790.af_news.html

For once, Saints have signed an ex Canberra player, who hasn't proven to be a 'dud'.

Names that come to mind over the past decade include Woolford, Miller, Page, Vidot.

monsterkev

Juniors
Keep picking woods for nsw
While ever he is playing for nsw
Queensland will continue their dominance
Go woods

getsmarty

Immortal
Vaughan's 2018 ambition
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:00 AM

By Brad Walter - NRL.com Senior Reporter

Paul Vaughan readily admits playing State of Origin wasn't even on his radar 12 months ago but after establishing himself as one of the NRL's best props in his first season with the St George Illawarra Dragons he now has his sights firmly on NSW selection.

Vaughan, who joined the Dragons last season after falling out of favour at the Canberra Raiders, was focused on reviving his NRL career and said Origin had never figured in his thoughts until later in the year.

After being chosen in the Prime Minister's XIII to play Papua New Guinea last September, Vaughan narrowly missed out on selection in Australia's World Cup squad and was a key member of the Italy team.

It was a huge turnaround for a player who had been demoted to Canberra's feeder club, Mounties, during the 2016 season before being released by the Raiders with a year to run on his contract.

Now Vaughan is aiming to continue his rise from NSW Cup to the NSW Origin team.

"Last year was good for me but I needed that year to build for my career because things went a bit south in Canberra," Vaughan said. "Now I am back up to where I know I can be so if I am playing good football I want to make that step up.

"I think it was important for me to start the year off good last year, obviously coming to a new club and wanting to earn the respect of the boys.

"I can't go backwards. I have to take another step in my career, play some good strong footy and hopefully there will be some higher honours down the track. If I can play the sort of footy I was last year I think I am more than capable of stepping up to that level."

While Vaughan was touted for Blues selection last year, the Raiders junior makes the stunning admission that he may not have been prepared to handle the rigours of Origin.

"If I was put in that position last year I am not sure if I was ready," Vaughan said. "I think last year was just more about trying to play good footy and trying to cement a starting spot.

"I knew that I was going in the right direction and I think that showed that it was achievable for me to play rep football.

"It is just having more confidence in myself, knowing that I played some great football last year. It made me want to strive to do better things in my career."

The arrival of England prop James Graham from Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs has given Vaughan even greater inspiration to continue building his game.

Vaughan said he had admired Graham before he joined the Dragons and considered him a role model.

"I can build on my game just by playing with him and following his actions and his leadership," Vaughan said.

"Everything he does well, like the one-percenters, working really hard off the ball, talking a lot … if I can implement that into my game I think I will improve a lot.

"He is just a competitor, everything that he does is a million miles an hour, he is very professional and obviously being at the top of the game for a long time, he knows what he is doing. He is a veteran of the front row so I am going to be picking his brain."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/01/23/vaughans-2018-ambition/

LINESPEED

Juniors
Vaughn and Nathan Brown from Parra were the 2 best by a mile. Scott Bolton at the Cowboys should have been up there as well. How would Woods have outscored those 2 in the Daly M's when they won less games. Are you saying every games Tigers won he got 3 pts? Pretty sure Tedesco got 3 for most of them. It is a rort. FIrst Woods beats Vaughn to Origin jersey now this. Vaughny must really hate this guy by now. Hoping this adds some spice to next season when they meet up.
Woods is a Fox/Murdoch favourite, along with Gallen - end of story

Frank Facer

First Grade
Vaughan's 2018 ambition
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:00 AM

By Brad Walter - NRL.com Senior Reporter

Paul Vaughan readily admits playing State of Origin wasn't even on his radar 12 months ago but after establishing himself as one of the NRL's best props in his first season with the St George Illawarra Dragons he now has his sights firmly on NSW selection.

Vaughan, who joined the Dragons last season after falling out of favour at the Canberra Raiders, was focused on reviving his NRL career and said Origin had never figured in his thoughts until later in the year.

After being chosen in the Prime Minister's XIII to play Papua New Guinea last September, Vaughan narrowly missed out on selection in Australia's World Cup squad and was a key member of the Italy team.

It was a huge turnaround for a player who had been demoted to Canberra's feeder club, Mounties, during the 2016 season before being released by the Raiders with a year to run on his contract.

Now Vaughan is aiming to continue his rise from NSW Cup to the NSW Origin team.

"Last year was good for me but I needed that year to build for my career because things went a bit south in Canberra," Vaughan said. "Now I am back up to where I know I can be so if I am playing good football I want to make that step up.

"I think it was important for me to start the year off good last year, obviously coming to a new club and wanting to earn the respect of the boys.

"I can't go backwards. I have to take another step in my career, play some good strong footy and hopefully there will be some higher honours down the track. If I can play the sort of footy I was last year I think I am more than capable of stepping up to that level."

While Vaughan was touted for Blues selection last year, the Raiders junior makes the stunning admission that he may not have been prepared to handle the rigours of Origin.

"If I was put in that position last year I am not sure if I was ready," Vaughan said. "I think last year was just more about trying to play good footy and trying to cement a starting spot.

"I knew that I was going in the right direction and I think that showed that it was achievable for me to play rep football.

"It is just having more confidence in myself, knowing that I played some great football last year. It made me want to strive to do better things in my career."

The arrival of England prop James Graham from Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs has given Vaughan even greater inspiration to continue building his game.

Vaughan said he had admired Graham before he joined the Dragons and considered him a role model.

"I can build on my game just by playing with him and following his actions and his leadership," Vaughan said.

"Everything he does well, like the one-percenters, working really hard off the ball, talking a lot … if I can implement that into my game I think I will improve a lot.

"He is just a competitor, everything that he does is a million miles an hour, he is very professional and obviously being at the top of the game for a long time, he knows what he is doing. He is a veteran of the front row so I am going to be picking his brain."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/01/23/vaughans-2018-ambition/
The players talk about Graham in glowing terms. He already looks to be having a good impact on our squad and that is before a ball has even been kicked.

possm

Coach
If Vaughan is not in the SOO origin this year I will start watching netball

I'd be very happy if none of our players are selected for SOO. Now that Dugan has left it is possible that only Frizell will be selected although I understand that De Belin and Vaughan are in the mix. Losing up to 3 key forwards would be a blow in our bid to play deep into the finals in 2018.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I'd be very happy if none of our players are selected for SOO. Now that Dugan has left it is possible that only Frizell will be selected although I understand that De Belin and Vaughan are in the mix. Losing up to 3 key forwards would be a blow in our bid to play deep into the finals in 2018.
All clubs will be without their origin players for only one game this year. I want as many St George players in origin as possible. I believe that most players come back from origin better players and more confident too. Playing origin is a good prep for semi final football too. I hope that Vaughn, DeBelin, Frizzell and even McInnes get picked for NSW and that Hunt gets selected for QLD as their starting halfback. That would give us 5 origin players and 2 fully fledged English internationals. Add to that some up and coming youngsters who could become origin players in the future and we would have a side that is capable and seasoned enough to win a comp.

Just imagine our pack having 4 origin players, plus Graham. Then our pack would surely be recognised as one of the best in the comp.

possm

Coach
All clubs will be without their origin players for only one game this year. I want as many St George players in origin as possible. I believe that most players come back from origin better players and more confident too. Playing origin is a good prep for semi final football too. I hope that Vaughn, DeBelin, Frizzell and even McInnes get picked for NSW and that Hunt gets selected for QLD as their starting halfback. That would give us 5 origin players and 2 fully fledged English internationals. Add to that some up and coming youngsters who could become origin players in the future and we would have a side that is capable and seasoned enough to win a comp.

Just imagine our pack having 4 origin players, plus Graham. Then our pack would surely be recognised as one of the best in the comp.
Your wish would result in a devastating blow for our wish to play finals football in 2018, we don't have the depth to cover all of those positions. If SOO was played on a stand alone weekend, I could support your view however, we would still run the risk of injury to our SOO players.

My view on this may change after taking a good look at the performance of our reserve grade side. If we are killing it in reserve grade, maybe my opinion on depth can be adjusted.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Your wish would result in a devastating blow for our wish to play finals football in 2018, we don't have the depth to cover all of those positions. If SOO was played on a stand alone weekend, I could support your view however, we would still run the risk of injury to our SOO players.

My view on this may change after taking a good look at the performance of our reserve grade side. If we are killing it in reserve grade, maybe my opinion on depth can be adjusted.
I don't think us missing 5 players in ONE origin game would result in a devastating blow to our wish to play semi final football. I think if 5 of our players can make the origin side and even play in 3 games, then that would enhance our chances of making the semi's and going deeper into the finals.

Most teams that win the comp have over 5 origin and or International reps from either NZ or England in there side.

possm

Coach
I don't think us missing 5 players in ONE origin game would result in a devastating blow to our wish to play semi final football. I think if 5 of our players can make the origin side and even play in 3 games, then that would enhance our chances of making the semi's and going deeper into the finals.

Most teams that win the comp have over 5 origin and or International reps from either NZ or England in there side.

I wish that wre true but given that we had good representation in the 2011 SOO series and before the series bookies were paying out bets for us to win the minor premiership, the end results speak for themselves.