What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

payton rolls ankle

juro

Bench
Payten being out has been a very big hit to the tigers in the past. Payten was effectively the captain of the forward pack, giving his valuable experience to the others.

However, Gibbs seems to be in career best form and Ellis and Heighington are doing great things too. So I don't think this makes a dragons win a certainty, but it definitely doesn't help the tigers.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Fox Sports News reported he's going for scans.

Why would they report this if it were from a closed training session 5 minutes before the news went to air last night. Even if he is out, there's definitely a lot of mind games going on from the Tigers. Good luck to them. You play it as best you can if you ask me.

Won't worry Saints though.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Payten is a massive loss but tigers won't use it as an excuse, we've come this far without moltzen and tuiaki all year. We have a lot of depth this year.

Magpie Nick

Juniors
If we're going to play him, need to start him IMO when everybody's fresh.

You'd think that starting Fifita would hopefully result in his weaknesses being somewhat nullified but when you come on 70 minutes into a game and the opposition hooker strolls past you in your first set on the field like Jake Friend did, then questions really need to be asked.

Fifita had been on the field for two minutes, everyone else had been on for 70 yet he still couldn't keep up with the game and the Roosters took advantage of him to ultimately win the game.

Jesus, the way you Tigers fans are carrying on is a bit much. He's a good player no doubt, but it's not like he's the be all and end all. Those sort of win/loss stats can be very deceiving.

I'd wager to say if any of Benji, Farah, Ellis, Heighington, Gibbs, Galloway or possibly even Fulton got injured it would have been worse. You guys are acting like Payten is the one.

Gibbs plays massive minutes up-front, and Ellis/Fulton/Heighington is a quality 80-minute backrow. If you guys are good enough you will win, and if you don't, blaming it on Payten being out will be a total cop-out.

Payten being out isn't the be all and end all of our team but it is more crucial than most other fans realise. Payten and Gibbs run our defence in the middle. They're an extremely large part of why we beat Canberra.

Taking out Payten means we lose one of the most dominant defenders in the game let alone our team. Unfortunately we're probably going to replace him with a guy who can't keep up with the play after two minutes of being on the field.

Blaming Payten being out isn't a cop out but it's a huge part of while balance has probably shifted well to St. George now.

Iafeta

Referee
Tigers will be fine without Payten. Robert Lui can come into the side in his place to play halfback.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Who will they get to catch the kickoffs?
Bad luck him being out but from what I've seen the tigers have got more than enough depth to cover for him. As for experience, its not like Gibbs and Galloway are 18 year olds - time to step it up gentlemen.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
You'd think that starting Fifita would hopefully result in his weaknesses being somewhat nullified but when you come on 70 minutes into a game and the opposition hooker strolls past you in your first set on the field like Jake Friend did, then questions really need to be asked.

Fifita had been on the field for two minutes, everyone else had been on for 70 yet he still couldn't keep up with the game and the Roosters took advantage of him to ultimately win the game.
I agree with what you're saying, but Fifita strikes me as a bit of a confidence type player, particularly given his age. He was getting a bit of press a couple of months ago (not always a good thing), but it was on the back of some strong performances when he was playing 25-30 minutes a game. So a sense of entitlement probably crept in. The last 2 weeks he's not played more than 10 minutes and it's all been late in the game. So he's sitting on the bench for 70 minutes just watching and then being asked to run out and impact the game. It's a different approach mentally to play that way, particularly if he's not being told that's what's going to happen (which sounds like the case). Wouldn't be surprised if a touch of resentment has built up - not excusing it if so but it's possible - and this may be affecting his performances.

Now you could say this he's had defensive issues from his FG debut and you'd be right, but he was producing in other areas. I think starting him would get his mind focussed early and hopefully see a return of some of his positive play, which were previously balancing out his defensive lapses, and have been absent the last two weeks.

Tigger Madness

Juniors
I dont think it totally fair blaming Fifita for that Roosters try. He was at marker and slid right, Friend goes left and draws the A defender, Heighninghton doesnt get across in time and the supporting player goes through the gap.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Now you could say this he's had defensive issues from his FG debut and you'd be right, but he was producing in other areas. I think starting him would get his mind focussed early and hopefully see a return of some of his positive play, which were previously balancing out his defensive lapses, and have been absent the last two weeks.

Yeah I agree with the idea of starting him. I would imagine it would be easier to pump him up before the game and give him the instructions to aim up for the first 15 minutes rather than have him wait all game and then try and get pumped up to make a impact in the short time between being told he is going on.

Also as noted his marker D is a bit suspect so I would rather he be on the field while Dean Young is at hooker rather than Fein

Sam H

Juniors
Todd is no chance, even if he sleeps in the hydro-chamber. As for his value to the team, equal or more valuable than Farah and Marshall, big call but true. He organizes the tigers defensive structures in the forwards and in attack supply's a good link between the backs and forwards.Also gives Farah lighting play the balls to feed off. I would say what little chance the Tigers had of winning are well and truly out the window now and I expect the contest to be decided by oranges. I hope Iam wrong, but when looking at the facts,everything points towards the Steelers

This is spot on. Of all the forwards Payten is the biggest loss for this sort of game, I think. He plays a key role in the Tigers' attacking structure, especially for the big shift plays which Marshall feeds off. They'll need to get someone else sorted for that role - perhaps we'll see Fulton doing a bit more ballplaying? But there are really no obvious replacements.

Dragon

Coach
He will play, not even a picture of him in any of the newspapers or on the tele. Good old shifty shines

Sam H

Juniors
Weidler had him on crutches going into a medical clinic tonight with his ankle in a boot.

Pretty elaborate eh? That crafty old Sheens. Next he'll be pretending he's actually going to play Fitzhenry..

Latest posts