What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalty Blitz

T-Boon

Coach
RL players have been bending the rules since 1908. What makes you think it’ll change all of a suddn with this “ref crackdown”.

Hopefully coaches will start feeling like they are losing games because of the players infringing and they will start seeing it as a player problem rather than refs doing a bad job and the coach will start thinking of players who get penalised a lot the same way they think about players who drop the ball a lot or who miss a lot of tackles or who are just ineffective at doing their job and then those players will hopefully get some training to focus on not giving away penalties and if they cant get it right after that they will get replaced by someone who can.
The problem is that currently giving away lots of penalties is not really costing teams games because they tend to balance out so they are happy to keep doing it. We need to speed the process up by sin binning players and getting some lop sided penalty counts. Maybe start binning the captain (who is usually the best player).

M2D2

Bench
People want more to police the rules, making sure the player hits the ball with his foot and also less interchange which will make the game slower due to fatigue all while saying it will be good for the game.
All while saying the players will learn.
This wreaks of "the 80's/90's were so much better".
It wasnt. Go and watch those old games again.
Go watch the play the balls. There was nothing speedy about it.
Rose coloured glasses bullshit from alot of 'purists'.

LineBall

Juniors
Thats kinda dumb. It disrupts the markers effectively putting them out of play

The refs didn’t even tell the player to play the ball where he was tackled
Yeah, they decided to just make the player go back to the mark and play it again because they felt a penalty was too harsh. Now it’s worse because the risk of getting caught is minimal.

azzah72

Bench
I'm down with it, blow the whistle ref.

Once the coaches and players realise and play by the rules, the penalties will diminish.

Every team had to catch up to the Craig Bellamy School of shit football, now everyone has and frankly, the game has been pretty shit, the NRL is trying to get the game back to where it was and that means a couple of steps back before we go forward.

Blow that whistle ref, get the crap out of the game.

T-Boon

Coach

There was a lot more variety and skill on display in attack and line breaks.
They had to be really inventive to make territory (for example chip kicks, run-arounds, elaborate set plays). I know at times it was scrappy but I would take scrappy but creative and eventful over 10metre hit ups, completions and the same decoy backline move every set any day of the week.

Spot On

Coach
People want more to police the rules, making sure the player hits the ball with his foot and also less interchange which will make the game slower due to fatigue all while saying it will be good for the game.

Umm, it's rugby league not touch. Play the ball with the foot. Don't roll it between the legs. If it's touch footy speed you want, then get down to the local comp and watch the touch being played.

Pretty f**king simple.

Less interchange gets rid of the 20-30 minute footballer and opens the game up due to fatigued players. More points on offer and greater role for play makers. Heck, we might even see some decent halves return to the game instead of the 'athletes". Ball movement and skill the game currently lacks. Keeping the ball alive. Pretty simple.

No, it might not be perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than Bellamy ball wrestlathon we've had the past decade. Most (if not all) the blokes (even the wife) that I talk league with have despised what they've been watching for that period of time, can't stand the crap the goes on in the play the ball and don't believe it's as good a product as we had before wrestlemania. They want to see footy being played and desperately want a game of attrition/fatigue in the last 20 mins or so. Not a line of interchange players ready to come on fresh throughout the game.

rupertpupkin

Juniors

The speed of the play the ball isn't that big a factor. You don't need lightning PTB's for exciting footy. For years it's been the prolongation of the tackle that's hurting the game. A bunch of defenders holding the attacker up for as long as possible, before putting him on his back at the last possible second. In earlier eras this happened sometimes, but not very often. It was usually one or 2 defenders, nailing the attacker and cutting him down to ground tout d'suite. That was the definition of speedy. Down, done, get on with with it. A bit more leeway was given in the PTB's, otherwise the defence would never be able to get back onside. Defence and play may not have always been pretty, but it was brutal, efficient and fast (relative to today).The speed of the PTB? It can throw up surprises and opportunities, but it wasn't what made the game fantastic back then.

M2D2

Bench
Umm, it's rugby league not touch. Play the ball with the foot. Don't roll it between the legs. If it's touch footy speed you want, then get down to the local comp and watch the touch being played.

Pretty f**king simple.

Less interchange gets rid of the 20-30 minute footballer and opens the game up due to fatigued players. More points on offer and greater role for play makers. Heck, we might even see some decent halves return to the game instead of the 'athletes". Ball movement and skill the game currently lacks. Keeping the ball alive. Pretty simple.

No, it might not be perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than Bellamy ball wrestlathon we've had the past decade. Most (if not all) the blokes (even the wife) that I talk league with have despised what they've been watching for that period of time, can't stand the crap the goes on in the play the ball and don't believe it's as good a product as we had before wrestlemania. They want to see footy being played and desperately want a game of attrition/fatigue in the last 20 mins or so. Not a line of interchange players ready to come on fresh throughout the game.

There was a lot more variety and skill on display in attack and line breaks.
They had to be really inventive to make territory (for example chip kicks, run-arounds, elaborate set plays). I know at times it was scrappy but I would take scrappy but creative and eventful over 10metre hit ups, completions and the same decoy backline move every set any day of the week.
Disagree with all these points.
1. Foot play the balls = Slower rucks
2. less interchange = more fatigue = more penalties
and there will still be 20-30 minutes players to think otherwise is just delusion at its finest
3. decent halves are not coming back, and making the forwards suffer to be 80 minute players will drive the quality down
4. they arent even targeting the wrestle so the whole "the wrestle will be gone" argument holds no water.
5. Yeah i know what i want to see in the final 20 minutes. Tired players making errors and penalties. f**k YEAH! That will bring the fans back.

Oh great. The horrible set plays from the 80's hiding where the ball was. Oh ive waited for decades for that to come back.

This year in the pre season Fox sports played heaps of 'classic' matches for teams from the 80's and 90's and beyond finals matches, they were all shit, so f**king shit.
No wonder people here want a return to that time. They cant see the fact that era of the game wasnt all that great.

and to think some of you took offense when i said you guys want the game to die.
Its pretty clear you guys do.
I'm down with it, blow the whistle ref.

Once the coaches and players realise and play by the rules, the penalties will diminish.

Every team had to catch up to the Craig Bellamy School of shit football, now everyone has and frankly, the game has been pretty shit, the NRL is trying to get the game back to where it was and that means a couple of steps back before we go forward.

Blow that whistle ref, get the crap out of the game.
Even the guy sitting next to me game in game out is for all these penalties. Cant see that doing this is ruining the game. Doesnt care cause he hates "the wrestle".
The speed of the play the ball isn't that big a factor. You don't need lightning PTB's for exciting footy. For years it's been the prolongation of the tackle that's hurting the game. A bunch of defenders holding the attacker up for as long as possible, before putting him on his back at the last possible second. In earlier eras this happened sometimes, but not very often. It was usually one or 2 defenders, nailing the attacker and cutting him down to ground tout d'suite. That was the definition of speedy. Down, done, get on with with it. A bit more leeway was given in the PTB's, otherwise the defence would never be able to get back onside. Defence and play may not have always been pretty, but it was brutal, efficient and fast (relative to today).The speed of the PTB? It can throw up surprises and opportunities, but it wasn't what made the game fantastic back then.
Games were uglier, less dynamic and boring one man out hit ups for 95% of the game and hide the ball obstruction plays that will be called obstruction today.
It wasnt faster, it was slower, honestly, do NONE of you ever go back and watch old games? The game was not faster in the 80's and 90's pre super league. It was a slower ploddathon. Ugly shit.
The only thing they ever did wrong was take away the benefit of a good tackle around the legs.

Cant change anyones rose coloured glasses opinion.

Life's Good

Coach
Disagree with all these points.
1. Foot play the balls = Slower rucks
2. less interchange = more fatigue = more penalties
and there will still be 20-30 minutes players to think otherwise is just delusion at its finest
3. decent halves are not coming back, and making the forwards suffer to be 80 minute players will drive the quality down
4. they arent even targeting the wrestle so the whole "the wrestle will be gone" argument holds no water.
5. Yeah i know what i want to see in the final 20 minutes. Tired players making errors and penalties. f**k YEAH! That will bring the fans back.

Oh great. The horrible set plays from the 80's hiding where the ball was. Oh ive waited for decades for that to come back.

This year in the pre season Fox sports played heaps of 'classic' matches for teams from the 80's and 90's and beyond finals matches, they were all shit, so f**king shit.
No wonder people here want a return to that time. They cant see the fact that era of the game wasnt all that great.

and to think some of you took offense when i said you guys want the game to die.
Its pretty clear you guys do.

Even the guy sitting next to me game in game out is for all these penalties. Cant see that doing this is ruining the game. Doesnt care cause he hates "the wrestle".

Games were uglier, less dynamic and boring one man out hit ups for 95% of the game and hide the ball obstruction plays that will be called obstruction today.
It wasnt faster, it was slower, honestly, do NONE of you ever go back and watch old games? The game was not faster in the 80's and 90's pre super league. It was a slower ploddathon. Ugly shit.
The only thing they ever did wrong was take away the benefit of a good tackle around the legs.

Cant change anyones rose coloured glasses opinion.
Didnt you declare your final comment on this about 100 posts ago? You should be penalised for breaking your own rules:wink:.

M2D2

Bench
Didnt you declare your final comment on this about 100 posts ago? You should be penalised for breaking your own rules:wink:.
tenor.gif

M2D2

Bench
Don't slow him down, this is one of the more quality 2 day meltdowns that I've seen on LU.
Not much more to say, people on here want 80's early 90's rugby league back.
I personally think it was a pretty shit era that was 95% plod which was reaffirmed in the off season.

No one will change my mind, i cant change anyones.

ReddFelon

Juniors
I personally think it was a pretty shit era that was 95% plod which was reaffirmed in the off season.

Kinda sounds like you hate Rugby League tbh. Take out all the things you dislike and we've got British bulldog with a ball thrown in.

SBD82

Coach

See that's the thing though. You've assumed a position for everyone with whom you disagree, and spent 2 days whining about it.

Why would I want a return to the 80's? I want a game that has incredible full time professional athletes, without the spoiling tactics employed by the storm and the sharks.

I don't know why anyone is surprised that the crackdown f**ked the sharks and Melbourne game. These are the two teams that push the limits the most in recent years. And the games between the two teams, while being interesting because of the rivalry, haven't exactly been fantastic examples of rugby league.

The flexibility in the rules that has been extended by the refs has been exploited by Flanagan and Bellamy. If you want to blame someone, blame them.

Clifferd

Coach
Does anyone have errors/penalty averages from around 2000-2005 compared to now?

To me that was probably the most enjoyable era to watch. Fast, scintillating football. Back before all this wrestling bullshit

It’s also no surprise crowds peaked around that time too.

T-Boon

Coach

Look I love your work Constanza, but you are going to do to RL what you did to the Yankee organisation...ruin it. Stick with latex.

M2D2

Bench
See that's the thing though. You've assumed a position for everyone with whom you disagree, and spent 2 days whining about it.

Why would I want a return to the 80's? I want a game that has incredible full time professional athletes, without the spoiling tactics employed by the storm and the sharks.

I don't know why anyone is surprised that the crackdown f**ked the sharks and Melbourne game. These are the two teams that push the limits the most in recent years. And the games between the two teams, while being interesting because of the rivalry, haven't exactly been fantastic examples of rugby league.

The flexibility in the rules that has been extended by the refs has been exploited by Flanagan and Bellamy. If you want to blame someone, blame them.
Considering most people who have been for the penalties have said either
They want less interchanges and a return to an old version of football where Fatigue comes into play.
Dont really think im assuming anything.
But you do you.
Look I love your work Constanza, but you are going to do to RL what you did to the Yankee organisation...ruin it. Stick with latex.
I wish i could ruin the Yankees.

Latest posts