What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Panthers V South Sydney (otherwise known as the wabbits)

Iamback

Coach
Sorry I got my sides mixed up. He’s more benefit on the left wing because most kickers are right footed, but he can play right wing just fine.

Ahh.

For me we don't use Staines strengths enough. No early kicks to him or anything like that.

So I prefer the bigger back 3. But Staines could do the job

The Realist

Juniors
So I am a known Edwards critic but gosh he had a great game. In offense he will never be a talent, he just doesn't have that explosiveness or elusiveness of Latrell/Teddy type of players and he doesn't have the silky skills/timing of a prime Moylan or a Turbo.

But he just has to do 'enough' and I think he is getting there. With the Critta try he completed the link pass. Last year he failed that pass many times.

He also appears to be safer at the back as well. It all points to him having recovered from injury well and having a good preseason.

His fitness and defense has gone to another level and he was already arguably the top fullback in those categories already.

Regarding our wingers, I am a Staines fan but it is clear to me that Taylan is a better player. Similar speed but he is more powerful and is far more elusive. He has a killer instinct for the line in a similar way that To'o does. There are 2-3 tries that Taylan has scored that Staines would simply not have.

In saying that Staines has definitely improved his ball carrying, making metres and getting a quick PtB. And his defensive reads and clean up work have been top notch. We have an embarrassment of riches in our outside backs which is why I wasn't too concerned with Burton and Momo moving on.

I think our bench is the biggest concern. At some point the Salmon/Kenny combination will cost us. They are ineffective as forwards>

Next season we are really going to miss Api more than anyone realises. He is clearly the form #9 in my opinion and whilst Yeo and Edwards have been getting all the talk, Api has been just as important for us.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
So I am a known Edwards critic but gosh he had a great game. In offense he will never be a talent, he just doesn't have that explosiveness or elusiveness of Latrell/Teddy type of players and he doesn't have the silky skills/timing of a prime Moylan or a Turbo.

But he just has to do 'enough' and I think he is getting there. With the Critta try he completed the link pass. Last year he failed that pass many times.

He also appears to be safer at the back as well. It all points to him having recovered from injury well and having a good preseason.

His fitness and defense has gone to another level and he was already arguably the top fullback in those categories already.

Regarding our wingers, I am a Staines fan but it is clear to me that Taylan is a better player. Similar speed but he is more powerful and is far more elusive. He has a killer instinct for the line in a similar way that To'o does. There are 2-3 tries that Taylan has scored that Staines would simply not have.

In saying that Staines has definitely improved his ball carrying, making metres and getting a quick PtB. And his defensive reads and clean up work have been top notch. We have an embarrassment of riches in our outside backs which is why I wasn't too concerned with Burton and Momo moving on.

I think our bench is the biggest concern. At some point the Salmon/Kenny combination will cost us. They are ineffective as forwards>

Next season we are really going to miss Api more than anyone realises. He is clearly the form #9 in my opinion and whilst Yeo and Edwards have been getting all the talk, Api has been just as important for us.
I would have May over Staines but I believe it is up to who wants to stay more.

Girds89

Bench
I was right about:

Cleary
Edwards 99%
Staines
Momirovski

Momo??

The only people on this whole forum from memory that were happy with him playing centre and critta wing in the finals was me, i think martie lang and kilkenny.

Didnt hear the end of it from everyone else...

It turned out to be a masterstroke from ivan.

*if there was others supportive of momo playing centre, sorry ive forgot you but there was only a handful..95% were furious..

WestyLife

First Grade
Momo??

The only people on this whole forum from memory that were happy with him playing centre and critta wing in the finals was me, i think martie lang and kilkenny.

Didnt hear the end of it from everyone else...

It turned out to be a masterstroke from ivan.

*if there was others supportive of momo playing centre, sorry ive forgot you but there was only a handful..95% were furious..

He was exactly what I said he was. It just suited the team in finals who won on the back of 3 epic defensive performances. Happy for him that he got a ring but also happy we can now play Tago and Crichton at centre.

Also I wasn't furious I just don't rate him in attack at all. I'm very rarely angry commenting or angry at decisions the club makes, just making conversation.

DinkyDi

Juniors
Mav was very ordinary on the weekend. As to be expected

We certainly need a solid regular FG player but I wouldn't go locking in anyone for anything over 2 years
April fools day was yesterday. May played well in both of his games.

Last edited:

Vicpanther

Juniors
Mav was very ordinary on the weekend. As to be expected

We certainly need a solid regular FG player but I wouldn't go locking in anyone for anything over 2 years
Still a bit injured or just a poor performance? Have high hopes he would break the squad this year.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Shut what down? He's a liability at fullback

In my opinion (which of course is always right) Mitchell is a far better centre, than fullback.

Caught out of position on numerous ocassions last night. Doesn't work hard enough at fullback. Only 77 meters compared to Edwards 289.

Vicpanther

Juniors
In my opinion (which of course is always right) Mitchell is a far better centre, than fullback.

Caught out of position on numerous ocassions last night. Doesn't work hard enough at fullback. Only 77 meters compared to Edwards 289.
he isnt a full back. but he can attack fairly well in the centers. but did sweet FA last night

DinkyDi

Juniors
Atleast it put a stop to the whole "they would have won if mitchell played". They shut him down well last night.
Mitchell played in matches last year, in the regular season, and the Panthers won both games. The Panthers have played five times, four last season, and last night. The Panthers have won four games, and the Rabbitohs, one. The combined score is 191 to 64. That is impressive.

Vicpanther

Juniors
Mitchell played in matches last year, in the regular season, and the Panthers won both games. The Panthers have played five times, four last season, and last night. The Panthers have won four games, and the Rabbitohs, one. The combined score is 191 to 64. That is impressive.
exactly hence why i never understood all the bullshit talk of he would have made a difference.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
exactly hence why i never understood all the bullshit talk of he would have made a difference.

It's the clutching at straws theory. If Cleary didn't have his shoulder pulled together with sticky, Edwards not have a foot fracture, Bizza not have his ankle held together with prayer and stubborness, Fish not having his shoulder and knees ready for a rest, and finally Leota carrying injury. Of course the score would have been different.

With or without Mitchell Penrith would have won. Penrith were battle hardened by the tough run, and injuries.

The Mitchell excuse is a bit like the age old one, if my Aunt had a penis she'd be my Uncle.

Last edited:

Vicpanther

Juniors
It's the clutching at straws theory. If Cleary didn't have his shoulder pulled together with sticky, Edwards not have a foot fracture, Bizza not have his ankle held together with prayer and stubborness, Fish not having his shoulder and knees ready for a rest, and finally Leots not have injury. Of course the score would have been different.

With or without Mitchell Penrith would have won. Penrith were battle hardened by the tough run, and injuries.

The Mitchell excuse is a bit like the age old one, if my Aunt had a penis she'd be your Uncle.
100% and now its put to bed.