What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth team 2023

Perth Red

Post Whore
Player depth - you are correct, although the NRL have said publically that they are expanding through the second teir. PNG and the Pacific Strategy may be about increasing the production line of talent. They also need to do more in Victoria, WA & SA too and they will have created a nice pool of national and international players. Having said that, the moment you introduce a new team (or two) or course it will dilute the player pool at the top level but that is where good pathways will have us back within a few years.

100% agree on revenue - the revenue is incredible these days and until top level (NRL) expansion is a priority, it won't happen

New grants and a sinking fund will address this.

I think the NRL are trying to do things but they could be done much better. You pretty much nailed it with the prioritisation of expansion though. If the latest whispers / rumours really are true about 2023 then announce it now and let Perth get excited and the public will really get behind the upcoming marquee events that they have (World Cup, Double Header, State of Origin). By the time 2023 gets here the game will have a tonne of momentum.

If they follow the same route as the last two,tv deals there no chance. Rather than take the afl,route and expand in time for the next tv deal, then charge the tv companies for the privallge of having an extra game a round the nrl,has taken the conservative route and waited until the negotiations to see if tv will offer more for a ninth game three years into the deal,

On top of this they are still very nervous about the ability of the current clubs to be sustainable. We won't know if the 130% grant is going to solve this nervousness for a few years yet. I'll be amazed if we expand before 2025 plus.

We will see a Perth team in nsw cup by around 2020 but I have serious doubts about its survival chances.

taipan

Referee
If they follow the same route as the last two,tv deals there no chance. Rather than take the afl,route and expand in time for the next tv deal, then charge the tv companies for the privallge of having an extra game a round the nrl,has taken the conservative route and waited until the negotiations to see if tv will offer more for a ninth game three years into the deal,

On top of this they are still very nervous about the ability of the current clubs to be sustainable. We won't know if the 130% grant is going to solve this nervousness for a few years yet. I'll be amazed if we expand before 2025 plus.

We will see a Perth team in nsw cup by around 2020 but I have serious doubts about its survival chances.

Point 1.
We don't need to follow the AFL route.We have about half a dozen areas bidding to get into the NRL comp.The AFL does not.We have Tests /SOO and RLWC the AFL does not.Western Sydney did not want GWS,the Suns are hardly the piece de resistance.Plus the fact the AFL are pumping $20mpa into each.That is not necessary for the NRL.

Point 2.
The AFL had money in the Bank prior to making expansion announcements,the NRL ATM does not.
You can throw money around like confetti,some lands where it should,some gets blown away never to return.Waste is not wanted,the nRL were experts at waste.

Point 3.
In any case another competitive TV intruder has moved in to the marketplace (CBS),who will be taking over ch10.It has been stated they want popular content,have the loot.That will add competitive tension to TV bids for popular sports.CBS could financially screw the balls off a Buffalo bull.

Point 4.
The emphasis for the next 2-3 years will be on building the 2nd tier comps,particularly NSW and Qld.Why?
To create better depth of players when an announcement for expansion is made(and I believe it will be at least 2 years prior to 2023).If you will ,a feeder system.Ttat may well include a fiji team

Point 5.
You're assuming the NRL are nervous about the current clubs,neither of us know that to be fact or not.
A better schedule,and better admin of the clubs which is happening,plus the additional 30% grant bonus will go some way to grow crowds and revenue streams.

Point 6.
Showing TV companies that the game is growing crowdwise,competitively also, forms a basis for expanding and saying to the Tv stations."We will have 18 teams, you will note the 16 team comp was extremely competitive,we have a growing participation base and strong second tier to provide more players not only for NRL clubs but for a strong Kiwi and PI sides."
That is something our competitors cannot provide.

The fact you are amazed ,comes into Point 7, ie nothing has changed.

Vee

First Grade
Point 1.
We don't need to follow the AFL route.We have about half a dozen areas bidding to get into the NRL comp.The AFL does not.We have Tests /SOO and RLWC the AFL does not.Western Sydney did not want GWS,the Suns are hardly the piece de resistance.Plus the fact the AFL are pumping $20mpa into each.That is not necessary for the NRL.

Point 2.
The AFL had money in the Bank prior to making expansion announcements,the NRL ATM does not.
You can throw money around like confetti,some lands where it should,some gets blown away never to return.Waste is not wanted,the nRL were experts at waste.

Point 3.
In any case another competitive TV intruder has moved in to the marketplace (CBS),who will be taking over ch10.It has been stated they want popular content,have the loot.That will add competitive tension to TV bids for popular sports.CBS could financially screw the balls off a Buffalo bull.

Point 4.
The emphasis for the next 2-3 years will be on building the 2nd tier comps,particularly NSW and Qld.Why?
To create better depth of players when an announcement for expansion is made(and I believe it will be at least 2 years prior to 2023).If you will ,a feeder system.Ttat may well include a fiji team

Point 5.
You're assuming the NRL are nervous about the current clubs,neither of us know that to be fact or not.
A better schedule,and better admin of the clubs which is happening,plus the additional 30% grant bonus will go some way to grow crowds and revenue streams.

Point 6.
Showing TV companies that the game is growing crowdwise,competitively also, forms a basis for expanding and saying to the Tv stations."We will have 18 teams, you will note the 16 team comp was extremely competitive,we have a growing participation base and strong second tier to provide more players not only for NRL clubs but for a strong Kiwi and PI sides."

You’re dreaming. I hardly know where to begin.

Coparugby

Juniors
Clubs are concerned about it from a point of view of player depth and what money might be available to clubs. The second issue is very easy for the nrl to answer, the money comes out of the nrl's $400mill not out of the $200mill allocated to existing clubs. The first part is much hard but it's subjective and very hard to measure when there is enough Stengh in depth.
If North America brings in the sort of money Eric Perez says, then we might be left with the playing depth in Australia for a couple of teams only.

I suggest the NRL get on with expanding while the competition for athletes favours the NRL.

Stallion

First Grade
If North America brings in the sort of money Eric Perez says, then we might be left with the playing depth in Australia for a couple of teams only.

I suggest the NRL get on with expanding while the competition for athletes favours the NRL.

Agree. As long as its genuine expansion in the form of additional clubs!

taipan

Referee
You mistake me. I’m not arguing your ideas, I was thinking of the ARLC/NRL organising it.

Point taken mate.The admin hardly has a decent track record on which to stand.I feel they may well have learnt a bit since,especially with the crowds/Tv ratings/scheduling in 2017.

Vee

First Grade
Point taken mate.The admin hardly has a decent track record on which to stand.I feel they may well have learnt a bit since,especially with the crowds/Tv ratings/scheduling in 2017.
I just can't see that they have learned much at all. A lack of integrity at the very top, Turd blaming stadiums for crowds but not mentioning scheduling is just one symptom of many I could list.

taipan

Referee
I just can't see that they have learned much at all. A lack of integrity at the very top, Turd blaming stadiums for crowds but not mentioning scheduling is just one symptom of many I could list.

Agree on that point,neither Greenber nor the TV stations/media ,will accept the plain obvious facts.I
f you play ,matches at 6pm you get backpackers and bludgers, as everyone is getting home from work or feeding kids .
If you play on Thursday nights tucked away at Homebush,which from a traffic perspective, and family perspective may as well be the Gobi Desert,you are screwing any chance of a crowd.
They won't acknowledge the fact,because for them, it's egg in their face.

siv

First Grade
I think the time has passed for culling, merging or relegating Sydney teams. It's not the 90's anymore, it would cause too much damage now. Having said that, with the current grant system, it is up to the clubs to remain viable, if they can't stay afloat in the top grade then it is not the NRL'S job to bail them out anymore.

When the new stadia are built in Sydney, the clubs need to pick a home ground and stick to it. And build membership and crowds off the back of world class facilities.

Intelligent investment in the Pacific Islands, PNG, New Zealand, Victoria, Western Australia and to a lesser extent South Australia will address the talent issue.

Talent has been a ongoing issue since the scaping of the U23s

The old U15 U17 U19 U21 U23 2ndDiv RG FG structure was able to develop players to such a extended we expanded to 20 teams

siv

First Grade
The best way to establish a team is
1 - officially commit
2 - then build like Qld Cup Mustangs have done U18s now U20s and soon Qld Cup

johnny plath

Juniors
Who are the Mustangs?
South West qld team playing out of Toowoomba. Entered teams in this years statewide reps u18s and u20s comps. Next season will have u20 team in QRL Hastings Deerings Colts Comp. I think aiming for Intrust Comp team 2019.

http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2017/10/12/mustangs_excited_for.html

After a successful entry in an abbreviated Under 20s statewide competition this year, the Western Mustangs have been included in the expanded competition announced by the Queensland Rugby League today.

To be known as the Hastings Deering Colts, the Under 20s competition will feature 13 of the current Intrust Super Cup clubs as well as the Western Mustangs based out of Toowoomba's Clive Berghofer Stadium and reaching out to Darling Downs centres such as Roma and Kingaroy.

And they will enter the inaugural season of the Hastings Deering Colts full of confidence after the Mustangs qualified for the semi-finals this year before going down to eventual champions Redcliffe while their Under 18s were Mal Meninga Cup champions, defeating Souths Logan in the grand final in May.

The inclusion of the Mustangs in the Hastings Deering Colts is a significant step towards inclusion in the Intrust Super Cup and provides a vast number of junior players a pathway to elite level competition without having to leave their town or region.

By disbanding the National Youth Competition, the NRL recognised the importance in allowing young players to develop their games in familiar surroundings where possible and managing director Rob Moore said the QRL were delighted to welcome the Mustangs into the statewide competition.

“One of the real strengths of the Hastings Deering Colts is that players will be able to play in a high-standard state-wide competition without having to move from their home region, which was a regular occurrence under the previous National Youth Competition model,” Moore said.

“We've identified this region as a really important footprint for the game.

“This competition will give young talent from Toowoomba and the Darling Downs an opportunity to stay at home and represent the Mustangs, and hopefully in the not too distant future they will be able to push up into an Intrust Super Cup team as well.”

The 2017 Intrust Super Cup champions, the PNG Hunters, are hoping to enter an under-20s team into the competition in 2019.

Reactions: Vee

LESStar58

Referee
Point 1.

Point 2.

Point 3.

Point 4.

Point 5.

Point 6.

I'm excited by what CBS/TEN could offer but I'm not sure they'd be any better at promoting the game than Nine are.

Face it, the current "icons" on Ten do not like rugby league.

taipan

Referee
I'm excited by what CBS/TEN could offer but I'm not sure they'd be any better at promoting the game than Nine are.

Face it, the current "icons" on Ten do not like rugby league.

I could find a hobo playing a mouth organ in George Street,who could do a better job of promoting rugby league than Nein.
When a TV station who has the sport's contract,gives an inordinate amount of time plugging the opposition code, you know you have a problem.
Channel Seven are not exactly rugby league"user friendly",but they do a better job of promoting the RLWC (which they will broadcast), than 9 does with their NRL deal.

Think you are referring to the channel 10 Project posers(Melbourne based AFL sycophants?If CBS are paying the bikkies, and want a decent rating sport, they will fall into line IMO.That Wali guy gives the Storm decent wraps at times.

When the Storm came into the comp, no one in Melbourne was apparently going to watch them on TV,or attend rl games.That idea has been shelved somewhat.

LESStar58

Referee
I could find a hobo playing a mouth organ in George Street,who could do a better job of promoting rugby league than Nein.
When a TV station who has the sport's contract,gives an inordinate amount of time plugging the opposition code, you know you have a problem.
Channel Seven are not exactly rugby league"user friendly",but they do a better job of promoting the RLWC (which they will broadcast), than 9 does with their NRL deal.

Think you are referring to the channel 10 Project posers(Melbourne based AFL sycophants?If CBS are paying the bikkies, and want a decent rating sport, they will fall into line IMO.That Wali guy gives the Storm decent wraps at times.

When the Storm came into the comp, no one in Melbourne was apparently going to watch them on TV,or attend rl games.That idea has been shelved somewhat.

Waleed knows his rugby league. It's what bought me around on him when I heard him speak well about the Storm vs. Cowboys prelim in 2015.

Latest posts