What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Wallace retires effective immediately

betcats

Referee
The writing was on the Wall for Pete. Not one but two good young hookers breathing down his neck, body giving out etc. We've looked better in attack since late last season with Katoa.

We lose a lot of experience and toughness with Wallace but I think it has come at the perfect time for the team. I think he has been tapped on the shoulder by Hook/Gus. Good on Wally for accepting it and going out with some grace. I look forward to seeing what he brings as a coach.

betcats

Referee
As for fav Wally moments, mine came last season in a game against the dogs. A young dogs forward was taking his first hitup off the bench and Wallace sprinted out of the line and hit him with a classic tackle around the thighs(big set of legs too) so hard that the young forward couldn't get up and play the ball and was on the bench 5 minutes later with ice on both legs. I can still remember the sound of the whack lol such a great tackle.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
This was random.

Can he come out of retirement if we get injuries to Katoa and Egan? He could still be important to us.

I wanted him to see out the season atleast

Edit
Missed the part about limited training. I hope he gets another game with us atleast. Maybe rest Katoa in our last home game and give Wallace a send off.

According to Gus yes he can as Gould said. 'he'd find a phone booth and get into his superman suit'.

kinghippo

Juniors
Congratulations Wallace on a great career.
once again you put the team first with this decision, showing loyalty to your club and players with actions rather than words as you have always done.
If you can teach some of the values you have played with to others you will make a great coach.

So is Jimmy the new captain? He doesn't have the best record with refs.

I think its Yeo's time he is just made for the role imo

tripster

Juniors
Gus has confirmed that there was no salary cap relief from Wal’s retirement. Makes it all the more odd for him to retire right now - it must really have just been the case that he couldn’t get his body right enough to perform to the necessary level in first grade.

tripster

Juniors
Gould has also confirmed that there will be a send off for Wal at a home game this season (as we had all hoped). Didn’t confirm which game.

OldPanther

Coach
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/13...d-ruin-penrith-panthers-chances-of-nrl-title/

Wallace feared he'd ruin Panthers' title chances

Peter Wallace feared he would jeopardise Penrith's premiership run if he pushed through with his battered body after announcing his immediate retirement after 240 NRL appearances.

Wallace put an end to his 14-year Telstra Premiership career that included two stints at the Panthers and six seasons at the Broncos following an ongoing shoulder injury.

The 32-year-old stalwart admitted it was a bittersweet time to hang up the boots with the Panthers well placed as equal competition leaders and in contention to lift the trophy at season's end, but the rigours of the game proved too hard to overcome.

"I would've loved to have been there at the end of the year but it wasn't fair on them or the club to hang on for the sake of it and not contribute in the right way," Wallace said on Wednesday.

"This injury is not allowing me to train the way I need to. I've had ongoing things but I've always been in the position where I could do my rehab and it would be fine.

"My knee was ongoing but it never stopped me from being at the standard I needed to be at. I don't want to hold them back or let anyone down."

Wallace's selfless attitude has been the cornerstone to his no-nonsense career which also included four appearances for NSW and four internationals for Scotland.

Broncos legend Darren Lockyer has labelled Wallace the toughest player he played alongside – a compliment he humbly accepts.

"It's nice to hear but I don't know, I was never the most skilful, fastest or strongest so I had to have something a bit different," Wallace said.

"I do have a higher pain threshold but the case of playing injured I just didn't want to let any of the boys down. They're important positions. If the team was going to be better off with me out there I should be.

"Sometimes that's playing injured and pushing through that pain barrier."

Back-to-back ACL knee injuries upon his return to the Panthers in 2014 threatened to derail Wallace's career then and thereafter the first surgery proved unsuccessful.

Ironically, the man who let him go at the Broncos – then coach Anthony Griffin – would later rejuvenate his career two years later with a permanent move to hooker at the foot of the mountains.

"The move from Brisbane at the time I was settled but it was what I needed, I came back here really fresh and ready to go," Wallace said.

"Unfortunately I did my knee that year but it was the right move for me. I wouldn't want to play for anyone else. It was a chance to come home and potentially finish my career here so it was definitely the right one."

Wallace has already been offered a coaching position at the Panthers for the remainder of the season.

He will then discuss a new role with the club in the future over the off-season.

"Hopefully I'll still have a bit to do with the boys in first grade and helping them out," Wallace said.

"I'm looking forward to that side of life. I think coaching is a natural fit for me."

Kilkenny

Coach
As Peter Wallace acknowledges himself he was not the most skilful or fastest half back (later hooker) in the NRL but no one could question his commitment, determination and spirit. His re-signing by Gus in 2014 was questioned by many at the time but along with Jamie Soward they played a major part in turning the club around to where we are today on the cusp of a third straight semi finals appearance.

His retirement is a totally selfless act put the team first and he deserves all the accolades coming his way.

We all look forward to Peter beginning the next chapter of his career in a coaching capacity our club.

mxlegend99

Referee
Never understood why so many had issue with Wallace and/or Soward when we signed them for 2014. Neither was great at the time. But...

Jamie Soward was without a doubt an upgrade on Travis Burns.
Peter Wallace was without a doubt an upgrade on Luke Walsh.

I was happy with both purely because of who we were moving away from. It's just a shame they both spent so much of their time here injured.

Peter Wallace especially... im not sure his body was ever fully fit in the past 5 years to be honest. Except his heart. Its so big it probably destroyed the rest of his body.

betcats

Referee
After chasing Thurston neither were particularly exciting signings at the time. Wallace wasn’t wanted by an average broncos side and Sowards career had gone sideways at the dragons. Both turned out to be great signings in hindsight but at the time I understood the sentiment.

mxlegend99

Referee
After chasing Thurston neither were particularly exciting signings at the time. Wallace wasn’t wanted by an average broncos side and Sowards career had gone sideways at the dragons. Both turned out to be great signings in hindsight but at the time I understood the sentiment.
Anyone was an upgrade on Luke Walsh. The only guy to play in our halves since then that was worse is Will Smith.

Even Carty was better. Hell the tackles he missed/didn't attempt which saw him dropped at the Titans were the way Walsh played his entire career.

Carty. Soward. Wallace. Moylan. Peachey. Maloney. Cleary. May. TMM. Not all great halves obviously. But the worst of those was still better than our best in 2013. Aside from Will Smith... he is our worst half since maybe Richie Williams.

Most of them are atleast above average NRL players.