What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould and Golden Point

thommo4pm

Coach
Found it very ironic last night that he was whinging about teams walking away with nothing from Golden Point.
He was the dickhead who lobbied so hard to get it put in in the first place.

He only cares now that he is involved with a club again, and that club lost in Golden Point a few weeks back.

We were always happy with walking from the game as a draw Gould, you were the muppet who wanted Golden Point.
I've been waiting for the day when the idiot started whinging about it.
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=8486466

Packy

Bench
While I don't doubt it. Do you have any articles or links that show this?

Band On The Run

Juniors
There are/were three things that bothers me in NRL

1) The McIntyre final 8 system (which has now thankfully been fixed).
2) That not every game is available live (which will hopefully be fixed next year).
3) Golden Point, which is made even siller when international games end in leveled scores it is a draw but at NRL level there is golden point. Yes Golden Point is entertaning, but it is definitely NOT a fair way to decide a contest. People b!tch about penalty shootouts in football (soccer), but at least in a penalty shootout both evenly matched teams have an equal chance of winning. In golden point the team that kicks off automatically has a disadvantage.

If it were up to me a normal season game ends in a draw if scores are level, but if the NRL really insists on having extra time, they should make it first to lead by three points. That way games can't be decided by one kick, but teams won't deliberately concede penalties (which would happen if there was a Golden Try rule, as there would be no point in taking the two points). Also if the NRL wants it during the normal season, both teams should get one point each, and the two teams fight for an extra point (just like in ice hockey).

Last edited:

Whats Doing

Bench
There are/were three things that bothers me in NRL

1) The McIntyre final 8 system (which has now thankfully been fixed).
2) That not every game is available live (which will hopefully be fixed next year.
3) Golden Point, which is made even siller when international games end in leveled scores it is a draw but at NRL level there is golden point. Yes Golden Point is entertaning, but it is definitely NOT a fair way to decide a contest. People b!tch about penalty shootouts in football (soccer), but at least in a penalty shootout both evenly matched teams have an equal chance of winning. In golden point the team that kicks off automatically has a disadvantage.

If it were up to me a normal season game ends in a draw if scores are level, but if the NRL really insists on having extra time, they should make it first to lead by three points. That way games can't be decided by one kick, but teams won't deliberately concede penalties (if there was a Golden Try rule). Also if the NRL wants it during the normal season, both teams should get one point each, and the two teams fight for an extra point. (just like in ice hockey).

Agree. Teams at the end of full time should be given one point each and if there is to be golden point, they then play for one extra point only.

Band On The Run

Juniors
Oh one more point:

If the NRL wants to keep extra time, points scored in extra time should not count in the for and against!

Dogs Of War

Coach
If it were up to me a normal season game ends in a draw if scores are level, but if the NRL really insists on having extra time, they should make it first to lead by three points. That way games can't be decided by one kick, but teams won't deliberately concede penalties (which would happen if there was a Golden Try rule, as there would be no point in taking the two points). Also if the NRL wants it during the normal season, both teams should get one point each, and the two teams fight for an extra point (just like in ice hockey).

Personally I think the NRL should just make a win worth 4 points. Byes worth 2 points, golden point loss 1 point, golden point win 3 points, draw at the end of golden point 2 points each. I don't think their should be more points available in one match than what you can get by having an outright result in normal time.

As for ingame play, it should be golden try, otherwise it is decided on the points scored at the end of the 10 minute period. None of this 3 point crap.

Last edited:

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
Personally I think the NRL should just make a win worth 4 points. Byes worth 2 points, golden point loss 1 point, golden point win 3 points, draw at the end of golden point 2 points each. I don't think their should be more points available in one match than what you can get by having an outright result in normal time.

As for ingame play, it should be golden try, otherwise it is decided on the points scored at the end of the 10 minute period. None of this 3 point crap.
.I would scrap points for the Bye. It give a false impression where your team is at. But three points for a win and 1 point for a loss in golden point and 2 points for the victor is a good one.

jc155776

Coach
Why can a field goal win the game at 79 mins and 59 seconds but not be a legitimate way to win a game in the 80th minute?

Scrap golden point in regular season games.

OR make it a full 10 minute overtime period.

hunters

Juniors
Oh one more point:

If the NRL wants to keep extra time, points scored in extra time should not count in the for and against!
I'm missing what this will achieve. At most it's only ever going to be a 4 point differential. What's the big deal?

innsaneink

Referee
24 games x 80 minutes = 1,920 minutes
22 games x 80 minutes and 2 games x 83 minutes = 1,926 mins.
Teams are getting extra game time to score extra points, it only takes 1 point to put one team ahead of another on f/a

Why can a field goal win the game at 79 mins and 59 seconds but not be a legitimate way to win a game in the 80th minute?

Scrap golden point in regular season games.

OR make it a full 10 minute overtime period.

I agree, golden try is stupid. It is like making singles, twos and threes in a T20 cricket tie breaking over worth nothing, and only allowing batsmen to score in boundaries.

*awaits cricketing purist to tell me T20 cricket is rubbish*

Loudstrat

Coach
24 games x 80 minutes = 1,920 minutes
22 games x 80 minutes and 2 games x 83 minutes = 1,926 mins.
Teams are getting extra game time to score extra points, it only takes 1 point to put one team ahead of another on f/a
Which at most may have an influence on the spoon :lol: