What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Phil Gould new Bulldogs GM of football

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have continued to put important pieces in place to build for the future with the appointment of one of the smartest minds in the game in Phil Gould, as their new General Manager of Football.

Gould has an incredible history in the game at all levels - as a player, coach, manager and commentator. Moreover, he has a deep understanding and respect for the Bulldogs Club and it’s history.

Having played in 40 First Grade games for the Bulldogs between 1983 and 1985, Gould then coached the Bulldogs to the 1988 Premiership to give the club its sixth out of eight titles.

From there Gould went on to further Premiership success with the Panthers in 1991, before a stunning coaching career with the New South Wales State of Origin side, where he coached the State to four series wins in five seasons between 1992 and 1996, before returning in 2002 to coach the team for three more series, winning two and drawing a third, to make him the most successful New South Wales Coach in history.

Bulldogs Chair John Khoury was delighted that he had been able to bring Gould back to Belmore:

"Phil Gould’s return to our club as GM of Football is phenomenal news for our club, it’s Members, fans and stakeholders.

Phil has a proud association with the Bulldogs, having played for the club before going on to coach the 1988 Premiership winning side.

He was already part of an amazing run of success that the club had during the eighties and his influence during his time here is something that our fans will always be grateful for.

Phil has a great relationship with Head Coach Trent Barrett and we firmly believe that he can help to drive us forward to getting back to where we need to be: namely as a Premiership contender once again.

Bulldogs Chairman Update: John Khoury
Bulldogs Chairman Update: John Khoury

A great deal of work went into ensuring we recruited the right person for the Football Manager role and I am delighted that the club will get to benefit from Phil's knowledge and track record of success, as we look to the future."
Phil Gould was also pleased at the chance to work with the Bulldogs:

"My sincere appreciation and thanks to the Canterbury Bulldogs Chairman John Khoury and his Board, for their confidence in appointing me to this very important position.

It’s a wonderful opportunity, with a great club.

It’s an invitation to work hard. I look forward to meeting everyone at the club and working with them to set a course for the future of the Canterbury Bulldogs.

I played with the Bulldogs. This club gifted me my first ever coaching appointment back in 1986. To be returning to the Bulldogs many years later, in this role, is truly exciting.

I look forward to rekindling old friendships, making new friendships, and enjoying the club’s journey back to the top of the National Rugby League”.

mave

Coach
Looks like Barrett will be back doing what he does best.

Playing second fiddle.

flippikat

Bench
Warriors really can't catch a break. With all the COVID stuff impossible for Gus to do what he was signed to do. Happy for the Dogs though, good signing for them
...or we could see what happened at Penrith (Gus leaves, things take off afterwards).

Chance would be a fine thing...

big hit!

Bench
...or we could see what happened at Penrith (Gus leaves, things take off afterwards).

Chance would be a fine thing...

Yes, because Penrith suddenly brought in 20 players who could play a bit only once he left.

There's no doubt the processes both Gould and Ivan implemented back in 2011 are bearing fruit today. Those processes run from NRL right through their pathways. If you're a pathways coach at Penrith, you basically have little opportunity to do things your way. You're given a book and you follow it to the letter.

davi

Juniors
And then rehires him?

It wasn't actually Gus Gould decision to rehire Ivan Clearly. I'm pretty sure the Panthers chairman was making decisions behind his back which was signaling his tenure was about to end. I'm pretty sure it was reported Gould was after Wayne Bennett not long before Anthony Griffin was punted as coach. Although Bennett has denied he was approached by Gould.

Gould has never disputed that the were going after Clearly without his knowledge. He said when he found out the approach to Cleary he said it wasn't the way he would have handled it but they had to tell Griffin he is out.

Latest posts