What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Phil Gould new Bulldogs GM of football

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have continued to put important pieces in place to build for the future with the appointment of one of the smartest minds in the game in Phil Gould, as their new General Manager of Football.

Gould has an incredible history in the game at all levels - as a player, coach, manager and commentator. Moreover, he has a deep understanding and respect for the Bulldogs Club and it’s history.

Having played in 40 First Grade games for the Bulldogs between 1983 and 1985, Gould then coached the Bulldogs to the 1988 Premiership to give the club its sixth out of eight titles.

From there Gould went on to further Premiership success with the Panthers in 1991, before a stunning coaching career with the New South Wales State of Origin side, where he coached the State to four series wins in five seasons between 1992 and 1996, before returning in 2002 to coach the team for three more series, winning two and drawing a third, to make him the most successful New South Wales Coach in history.

Bulldogs Chair John Khoury was delighted that he had been able to bring Gould back to Belmore:

"Phil Gould’s return to our club as GM of Football is phenomenal news for our club, it’s Members, fans and stakeholders.

Phil has a proud association with the Bulldogs, having played for the club before going on to coach the 1988 Premiership winning side.

He was already part of an amazing run of success that the club had during the eighties and his influence during his time here is something that our fans will always be grateful for.

Phil has a great relationship with Head Coach Trent Barrett and we firmly believe that he can help to drive us forward to getting back to where we need to be: namely as a Premiership contender once again.

Bulldogs Chairman Update: John Khoury
Bulldogs Chairman Update: John Khoury

A great deal of work went into ensuring we recruited the right person for the Football Manager role and I am delighted that the club will get to benefit from Phil's knowledge and track record of success, as we look to the future."
Phil Gould was also pleased at the chance to work with the Bulldogs:

"My sincere appreciation and thanks to the Canterbury Bulldogs Chairman John Khoury and his Board, for their confidence in appointing me to this very important position.

It’s a wonderful opportunity, with a great club.

It’s an invitation to work hard. I look forward to meeting everyone at the club and working with them to set a course for the future of the Canterbury Bulldogs.

I played with the Bulldogs. This club gifted me my first ever coaching appointment back in 1986. To be returning to the Bulldogs many years later, in this role, is truly exciting.

I look forward to rekindling old friendships, making new friendships, and enjoying the club’s journey back to the top of the National Rugby League”.

catstorm

Juniors
"The Bulldogs are doing very well right now, even though they are in last place they are actually the best team in the NRL and are still right in this season"

Phil Gould​

Great move by the dogs. If I was a fan I’d be stoked he’s coming in.

No coincidence he got brought into the Roosters and Panthers when both clubs were pretty much strong as jelly (in the panthers case almost bankrupt) only for both to become top shelf clubs during his time there. Not only that, they’ve sustained that since he moved on. Their systems n structures have no peer apart from the Storm IMO.

People will naturally take the piss, make smart arse gags etc… but if anyone is gonna turn the mess that is the bulldogs around, he’s the only guy for the job.

I’m just annoyed we didn’t get him into the Dragons … but our board is too full of pride and self interest to bring in a guy who knows about success and tells them what needs to be done…

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
"Virtually, every waking hour now will be dedicated to the Vodafone Warriors and their future," Gould told journalists on Tuesday.

"That’s the job I’ve been given and that’s what my passion is.”

Gould just 11 months ago.

“The first 12 months will be a mission of discovery and then working out the best way forward for everybody," Gould said.

I guess the best way forward after 12 months was to leave lol

"Virtually, every waking hour now will be dedicated to the Vodafone Warriors and their future," Gould told journalists on Tuesday.

“The first 12 months will be a mission of discovery and then working out the best way forward for everybody," Gould said.

Gould is still allowed to assist the Warriors:

Chimp

Bench
I don’t really get the mass Gus hate… Nobody can question his love for our game, I don’t believe you can question his genuine wish for the game to be better and stronger across the board.
Gus is well and truly a rugby league man - he’s often been quite negative about my club (Sharks) though predicted we’d win it early in 2016 and has generally been a bit more positive recently, but even when he’s been negative about the Sharks, he’s not usually been far off the mark.
Sure he might be a little narcissistic at times, but even then, whilst he might be doing things that massage his own ego, I think he channels his efforts on activities that he genuinely believes are for the betterment of the game and/or his employer.
I’m sure the Dogs will be a much stronger organisation for his recruitment.

nick87

Coach

Im loath to ever be fair on Gould, but i think COVID has restricted his ability to do the job he was hired to do, and with no end in sight, it's probably best for both parties to back away and let Gould do this thing at the dogs

maybe he circles back around to the warriors next?

Be interesting to see if he can replicate the job he did at Penrith

Going by what has been reported, when the Bulldogs approached him, Gould told the Warriors management about the approach and they signed off on him taking it.

dogslife

Coach

Jesus wept you're dense

Coastbloke

Bench
Let's hope he concentrates on his new job and shuts the hell up about his jaundiced view of the RLWC...

This Year?

Immortal
Anything to improve a club and rugby league is a good thing isn't it?
I hate the Bulldogs and hate Gould, but he is a very resourceful man and the Bulldogs have their struggles. If Gould brings back the Dogs of War it will be great for the game.

Matua

Bench
Yes no pathways BUT Gus couldn't travel to NZ to set up. Thier is a virus around i heard- seemed to make international travel difficult. The man's a proven winner- it will be good for the dogs
He didn't need to travel to NZ to set it up, but he could travel to NZ for at least 6 months of his time in the role.

Since he's been at the Warriors they've increased the number of non NZ players at the club, not attributing that to him, but the fact is he was always pushing poo uphill with the Warriors. We see a steady stream of NZers become top professionals at Oz clubs and half the time they haven't even been identified by the Warriors in the system.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mentioned on NRL360 about the supposed football cap that was allegedly brought in a couple of seasons ago. Did it ever happen? Is the NRL policing it? How come we havent heard any mention of it from the NRL about who is complying and who isnt? As the panelists said last noght the Bulldogs must be well over the $5mill cap with Gould commanding an alleged $1mill a year.

Latest posts