What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Rothfield

El Diablo

Post Whore
Dean Ritchie sucking Sloth's dick again

http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/n...alists-dean-ritchie/w1vrohsyb42x1t8teqnwgyoeu

Bulldog's Bite: In defence of Phil 'Buzz' Rothfield

April 17, 2018 1:01am EDT April 17, 2018 12:16am EDT

phil-rothfield_1mrvrcwmw7q3g1mlle8ughkg0b.jpg

Dean Ritchie

Updated at 1:01 a.m. ET

You should really try to understand ‘Buzz’ Rothfield before taking a stick to him on social media.

Buzz has been a mate of mine at The Daily Telegraph for nearly 30 years. I know him back-to-front. The strengths, weaknesses, faults, fearlessness and loyalty.

He is controversial, passionate, emotional and excitable. All rolled into a complex, determined yet lovable Sydney character.

Buzz caused a stir this week, after watching more penalties being awarded, when he tweeted that rugby league was “shit” – a comment he retracted claiming it was “heat of the moment.”

That is Buzz’s one flaw. He can be spontaneous and impulsive. But you can never question his emotion or adulation of rugby league.

Should he have called rugby league shit? Probably not.

But that’s Buzz - a man who says it like it is, a man who isn’t afraid to offend, a man who refuses to conform to normality, a man who fires bullets.

The NRL use a company called Media Monitors to determine which journalists are positive toward the game - and which are negative.

Buzz’s rating is 50-50.

He is balanced, unbiased (aside from discussing his Sharks) and uncomplicated.

It’s simple really. He sees it, he writes it. For better, for worse.

So, yes, punters and keyboard warriors can get stuck into Buzz for his comment. But take it as read, there isn’t a better news breaker in Australia.

He is a journo who keeps the game honest; a journo who exposes flaws others refuse to touch. A man unafraid of confrontation.

For every noisy critic there’s a dozen fans quietly grateful for his work. He leads the charge for change. And he won’t be gagged.

Keep taking the ball up, Buzz. Rugby league needs you.

Stallion

First Grade
Noticed that Buzz was not a fan of the Superleague fiasco that was funded by News Ltd. He then intimates he was approached by Kerry Packer to write articles for the ARL at another newspaper. He rejected the offer so stayed with News ltd. So it can be assumed he was disingenuous toward the superleague aims from the outset but still wrote according to what they wanted. So I'd say he's a guy that can't be trusted. To his credit he has been a tad more positive except for his latest gaffe. He's on record in supporting another two additional expansion clubs which is a plus in my books. So we look on with interest.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Anyone want a bet that this "Media Monitors" claim is complete horseshit.

Why would the NRL hire such a firm? And if they did why would the reveal the results??

Coastbloke

Bench

Why would the NRL hire such a firm? And if they did why would the reveal the results??

I used to work as a media monitor. There was a company called Media Monitors that bought out the media monitoring company I worked with. They have now changed their name to Isense or something.

Corporations, Govt Departments etc use these monitors. When I was there it was press clippings, transcripts, audio and video tapes of everything including radio talkback. I would imagine social media is now included..

Canard

Immortal
I used to work as a media monitor. There was a company called Media Monitors that bought out the media monitoring company I worked with. They have now changed their name to Isense or something.

Corporations, Govt Departments etc use these monitors. When I was there it was press clippings, transcripts, audio and video tapes of everything including radio talkback. I would imagine social media is now included..

Fair enough. I looks like it's called iSentia.

Do you reckon the "score" he have himself is legit or horseshit though?

Brutus

Referee

They certainly do and have done so for years. The post office building in Strawberry Hills once upon a time.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Even if the score is right, I think the data going into it is deliberately skewed. eg he would write a #crisis article and then balance it with one about how nice Gallen's scrote feels as it buffs his chin.
just like Ritchie writing today about how he swallowed Sloth's load would go down as a positive