What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Philosophy/Fate thread

Alba

Coach
Yesterday I was in Ashfield and I seen two boys, couldn't have been any older than 12 or 13, smoking and one of them had a long neck in a paper bag drinking it. Now, I have to wonder who bought it for him and also got to wondering about what their home life is like. I don't know why I started thinking this I probably just had spare room in my brain and got bored! Ha .. But seriously, to what extent do you think you can say it was because of the way they are brought up? Also goes for people who randomly just bash people for no reason and steal etc.. Bagsnatchers, rapists etc .. Do you think that the way they are brought up has a part in the things they do or do you think that it's a bunch of rubbish?

[furrycat]

Coach
Its rubbish- people make their own choices and use the past as an excuse.

Past doesn't equal the future

dyslexie

Juniors
definitely got something to do with the way they're brought up..
who else would they learn such horrible behaviour off?
and at 12/13 ish there has to be something wrong with their parents if theeyre already smoking and drinking..
if they see their parents doing that sort of thing then chances are theyre going to want to do it too

Bazal

Post Whore
I think a huge proportion is to do with the way they are brought up, especially at a young age. As a bright eyed kid who learns from what they see, an eleven or twelve year old is going to see what their parents are doing and emulate it. There is also a massive social element, especially when it comes to drugs, alcohol, and sex....they are more mainstream and therefore more accessable for kids

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I do not think genetics has much to do with it.

Genetics defines your potential, environment dictates whether you reach that potential.

Shorty

Staff member
Well you could look at parenting...but Alba those boys could have asked a random person to do it - It happens all the time.

Teenagers tell their parents things that are polar opposite to what they're infact doing and I believe their circle of friends has a huge impact on them.
At an age where you'll do just about anything to impress people I think people don't realise just to what extent this happens.

Alba

Coach
Shorty said:
Well you could look at parenting...but Alba those boys could have asked a random person to do it - It happens all the time.

Teenagers tell their parents things that are polar opposite to what they're infact doing and I believe their circle of friends has a huge impact on them.
At an age where you'll do just about anything to impress people I think people don't realise just to what extent this happens.

Yeah I understand this but I always made my own choices and never gave in to peer pressure to look cool, I always thought that was kinda lame to do that so it comes back to the things we are taught imo. I could also tell my mother everything and never had to hide anything and I think that kind of relationship is really important and makes a huge difference to the way people act.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Blame the parents for not flogging the absolute sh*t out of their kids when they were younger whenever they did something wrong

Blame society for saying its assault if you punnish your child for being a little merkin.

Blame the authorities for not cracking down on this behaviour

Blame teachers for not being more strict at school on unruly behaviour

But in the end, if someone doesn't know the difference between right and wrong, then ultimately it's their fault.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
yeah i used to do that dyslexie.

TBH, its nurture not nature. People are a product of their influences, from parents to friends to the media even. In your formative years, you usually dont have a choice of your influences, so if they are bad, its more than likely the child's character and behaviour will be modified to emulate these influences.

As furry said life is about choices, but our deductive reasoning differs based on our individual circumstances and way of thinking. Since THAT is almost completely based on upbringing, yes you can blame the parents, the friends circle and society in general. However, some abuse this reason and use it as an excuse, it shouldn't be... its just the reasoning behind the way someone is or why they do the things they do.

Martli

Coach
I don't think this sort of behaviour can really be be traced to one particular thing, I think it's more than likely a range of factors that contribute to people turning out the way they are. Social issues like this are pretty complex, you can't really lay all the blame on "the parents", "rap music" or "violent video games"--its the entire environment, one that is full of different variables.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
look, at the end of the day, any adolescent delinquency only has one cure, and it si to provide these kids with what they missed during their upbringing.

Several kicks in the pants with steel cap boots, a few floggings over the arse with the old mans belt, and a few whips to the hand by the old duck's kettle cord.

There's a sh*tload of learning in there

Martli

Coach
madunit said:
look, at the end of the day, any adolescent delinquency only has one cure, and it si to provide these kids with what they missed during their upbringing.

Several kicks in the pants with steel cap boots, a few floggings over the arse with the old mans belt, and a few whips to the hand by the old duck's kettle cord.

Aren't half these people from houses where that is EXACTLY what happens though?

Weren't the kids at school who got into fights the exact same ones who were beaten by dad after a night at the pub?

Bazal

Post Whore
madunit said:

I agree...kids respond to discipline. Take that way with some stupid laws, and you get what we have today...a bunch of uncontrolled little sh*ts with no respect for authority

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Martli said:
Aren't half these people from houses where that is EXACTLY what happens though?

Weren't the kids at school who got into fights the exact same ones who were beaten by dad after a night at the pub?
Hell no!

If they were beaten by their old man, then they deserved it.

If they started fighting at school then should expect to go to bed with a black eye courtesy of the old man.

dyslexie

Juniors
yeah after a bit more thought on this i guess different people are influenced by different people and different situations..

Raider_69

Post Whore
I blame the parents, i did some stupid sh*t in my time but nothing too bad, and that was due to the fact if i was caught my old man would
1. flog me within an inch of my life
and
2. Kick me out of home

Environment has alot to do with it too, but ultimately its the parents responsibility to sure their children are brought up in the right environment

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
madunit said:
Hell no!

If they were beaten by their old man, then they deserved it.

If they started fighting at school then should expect to go to bed with a black eye courtesy of the old man.

Sounds like you have no idea what an abusive home can do to a child...