What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo of Illawarra heritage jersey

_Johnsy

Referee
How does changing our away jumper change who we are, remember we did not have an away jumper until a few years ago. I know its the old blood and bandages jumper but it had no impact on who we are.

Willow is one of the mods here who can attest to my undying, unconditional support to the red v.

drake

First Grade
This crap makes me sick to my stomach. Some people just don't adapt to change.
It is not the same game or league that 80 years of history reflect.
When I first started supporting the Dragons, NSWRL was on the jersey. When I go to games, I can still see NSWRL on St George Dragons jerseys. It just ain't the main event.
Like everything in this day and age, top level rugby league has been turned into a product. And as the 50% news limited NRL has the rights, they dictate the terms. NRL is not the entirety of RL, but it is the top level, big dollar game. The dragons have evolved to reflect that, as distasteful as it may be. You either accept it or don't, but unfortunately whinging will not bring back the good old days. They are the St George Illawarra Dragons, not saints. And it was a desicion (sell out?) made by our illustrious, honoured and traditional St George RLFC. You can't blame the Steelers for reaching for the rope.
Society has made a lot more awful changes in the last 30 years than the merger of St George and Illawarra. Yeah I wish it was the good old days too. But mainly so I didn't have to worry about my kids lives at school, or whether I'll ever suffer a home invasion.
look at nature, things that don't adapt and evolve die.

Rexxy

Coach
Well Superleague was evolutionary. How did you feel about that? I bet you were one of the people who couldnt adapt to change then.

I think the very nature of evolution is being able to take the bits that are good and adopting them, and ignoring the bits that are bad. Putting Steeler embelems on jumpers and changing OUR JV colour to Scarlet is in my opinion bad.

And Until we get more than 4 out of 12 games at OKI, I wont even look at making one more change to anything.

drake

First Grade
mate, I wasn't particularly thrilled about any of the big changes that came from Superleague. And let's face it...it's superleague v. 2.0 now, at least that's the way it seems to me. But I have a bad choice to make; say no to rupert and only watch Flegg and local comps, or bite the bullet and watch the 'new and improved' RL.
As to Jubilee Oval, I'd like to see more games there, but changes do have to be made, especially some lights. Also the agreement with WIN stadium has to behonoured to the end of it's contract.
I agree about the scarlet funnily enough, though it's pedantic, keep the colours exactly as the red V. But I do reckon the Steelers as an away is the go. Blood and bandages looks like a barbers pole. St George Illawarra Hairdressers? ST George Illawarra Wallys? No thank you.

Red Bear

Referee
Denis'saints'Freak said:
What a filthy disgusting rag. I'd rather wear a Queensland jumper that don that piece of unmitigated sh*t.
is that the jersy/logo in your avarter Denis?

Southernsaint

Staff member
GoTheBears said:
Denis'saints'Freak said:
What a filthy disgusting rag. I'd rather wear a Queensland jumper that don that piece of unmitigated sh*t.
i that the jersy/logo in your avarter Denis?

???

It's from When We Were Kings...

Cheers,
Ben S.

MEE

Juniors
When push comes to shuff clubs like the Warriors, Melbourne and the Cowboys have a longer history than the St.George-Illawarra Dragons. Cut your losses, put up with the Steelers jersey and move on.

my eagle eye said:
When push comes to shuff clubs like the Warriors, Melbourne and the Cowboys have a longer history than the St.George-Illawarra Dragons. Cut your losses, put up with the Steelers jersey and move on.

I love it, opposition supporters who know nothing about the JV telling US what we should do or how we should feel.

When push comes to shove, you can f**k right off.

Nook

Bench
:lol:
Temper temper. Some of you Saints fans should try being a Tigers fan. I'll be cheering hard for the Dragons when they have their Steelers tributegame, it'll be great to see the scarlett back, and it is a nice touch from the Saints-dominated JV club.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Nook said:
:lol:
Temper temper. Some of you Saints fans should try being a Tigers fan. I'll be cheering hard for the Dragons when they have their Steelers tributegame, it'll be great to see the scarlett back, and it is a nice touch from the Saints-dominated JV club.

They could've kept the Scarlet forever if they'd shown some business accumen between 1982 & 1998 & not goone to the wall.

"Commemorating" the Steelers is like having someone crashed out at your house rent-free for months & then taking him out for dinner to a fancy restaurant on the anniversary of the day he rocked up...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Macca

Coach
Only they have been paying the rent the whole time through all your star players. :lol:

Southernsaint

Staff member
You can run a football club without juniors (just ask Easts), try running one without cash...

Cheers,
Ben S.

ibeme

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
"Commemorating" the Steelers is like having someone crashed out at your house rent-free for months & then taking him out for dinner to a fancy restaurant on the anniversary of the day he rocked up...

Cheers,
Ben S.

As far as I can tell, they're providing the furniture (a superior ground with lights) and the nutritional groceries (the juniors and top players).

Without them, you'd be sitting on the floor, and eating KFC all the time.

DIEHARD

----
My favourite rugby league seasons were 1992, 1993, 1996, 1999.

St George, always the bridesmaid. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: `

Southernsaint

Staff member
Diehard said:
My favourite rugby league seasons were 1992, 1993, 1996, 1999.

St George, always the bridesmaid. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: `

Funny that, my favourite seasons are: 1941, 1949, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1977 & 1979.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Macca

Coach
None of those years have anything to do with the club you support, St.Geo-Illa. :lol: In fact the team that won those premierships is extinct. :p

MEE

Juniors
If the merger collapsed who would get the license? Not saying it willl just curious.