What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics of OLD Lang Park?

rwaite

Juniors
That game was between arguably one of the strongest Sydney Premiership teams ever and one of the best Brisbane Premiership teams ever.

It was played on Sunday 20th October 1968 and the teams were :

Brothers : Barry Kenning, Nev Harman, John Gleeson, Barry Dowling, Pat Maguire, Eric Gelling, John Smith, Wayne Abdy, Reg Cannon, Bill Williamson, Dennis Manteit, Dion McCarthy, Joe Gleeson Res - Graham Cronk, Beven Henselein Coach - Brian Davies

South Sydney : Eric Simms, Mike Cleary, Alan Heiler, Bob Honan, Ray Branighan, Dennis Pittard, Bob Grant, Ron Coote, Bob Moses, Bob McCarthy, John Sattler, John O'Neil, Elwyn Walters Res - Jim Morgan, Paul Sait Coach - Clive Churchill

Does anyone know if there were any other challenge games between the Brisbane and Sydney premiers?

I vaguely remember seeing Easts Brisbane v Manly Warringah at Lang Park who both won in 1978 but have not been able to verify this game ever happened?

rwaite

Juniors
That 1985 GF was a cracker. 10-8 the Maggies held out the Seagulls in what I reckon was the greatest defensive effort I've seen in nearly 40 years of watching the game. The Seagulls just hammered Souths for 80 minutes. Had Wynnum-Manly won that day, I believe the 85 side would be regarded as better than the 84 side. Watched 1985 GF again the other night with a mate of mine. How Souths could turn the shamozzle of 1984 around was incredible. Normy Carr's try by shrugging off Wally is beautifully recalled in a series of six photos hanging in the Souths clubhouse.

What memories !

Indeed! Just loved that game, almost as much as 1981 when Mick Reardon scored with 30 secs to go on the last tackle and what about the way that Big Mal threw him to the ground in celebration!

Highway1

Juniors
I remember Lang Park had an indoor cricket/soccer complex at one end - which end was that?

I know it was the scoreboard end, but Nth, Sth? I've lost my bearings with that place now that it is a complete stadium. You forget where everything used to be.

Oh, the PCYC is in the North End/Caxton Street end, near the entrance to the stadium that is not the closest to the Railway.

Highway1

Juniors
in regards to that pic from 1997 which side is thr\e train line side where the church is

The south end/Chippendall Street end is the side that is closest to the railway line and church which sandwiched between the main road and freeway.

chelseabree

Juniors
Does anyone know if there were any other challenge games between the Brisbane and Sydney premiers?

I vaguely remember seeing Easts Brisbane v Manly Warringah at Lang Park who both won in 1978 but have not been able to verify this game ever happened?

I don't know of any others between Brisbane and Sydney premiers. The comment made in 1968 was that Souths were so dominating that the idea of a Australian club championship was killed off. However, before that there are a couple of interesting games. I have a report on a game between South Sydney and Toowoomba in 1925. Souths got belted. I also have a Qld programme with a visit from South Sydney which played brisbane and also a program from Sept 24th 1961 with Sydney teams playing Qld clubs. Souths played Redcliffe.
Hope this helps

chelseabree

Juniors
This has been queried in discussions on this game before. Longbottom could have and probably did play in it - these were just the programmed teams. Given the type of match it was, late changes to the listed teams were highly likely.

You must go back a fair way, Preacher ??

And it was a stinking hot day. I have pictures from the game and John Sattler while holding up the shield was stripped down to the barest minimum and even Clive was without a coat. I think the idea was killed off because of the score.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
It was a hot day - I was in the Outer behind the goal posts at the Milton Road end. (checked the records and it was 31 degrees in Brisbane that day)

We might have the same South Sydney v Brisbane programme - mine is from 1958, actually the oldest programme I have.

Last edited:

chelseabree

Juniors
I did not know there was one from 1958. I would love to see that one. No mine is from April 1930- South Sydney 'The wonder team from Sydney' playing against Brisbane on a promotional tour. Don't know the score. the earliest Qld program I have is 1929 with a state game. If anybody is interested I can post pictures of it once I get to 20 posts!

chelseabree

Juniors
Ok I'll start with a bit of a laugh ( or maybe it isn't a laugh). There was a discussion on the Souths forum that Lang Park is names after the Souths coach who was a great player for Qld.

scan0021-1.jpg

scan0019-1.jpg

scan0022-1.jpg

chelseabree

Juniors
Ah yes well anyway, I made the comment about that game in 1968. here are some pics from the game. Hope you like them.

IMG_0001-55.jpg

IMG_0002-53.jpg

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I did not know there was one from 1958. I would love to see that one. No mine is from April 1930- South Sydney 'The wonder team from Sydney' playing against Brisbane on a promotional tour. Don't know the score. the earliest Qld program I have is 1929 with a state game. If anybody is interested I can post pictures of it once I get to 20 posts!

In the 1958 programme, it metions that South Sydney had visited Brisbane on two previous occasions - 1919 and 1930.

In 1919, they played the Merthyrs club on Saturday 31 August, winning 28-10 after leading 14-7 at halftime. Attendance was 7000. The following Saturday, South Sydney drew with Queensland 19-all after they led 16-6 at halftime. Both games were at the Gabba.

In 1930, they played Brisbane on Easter Saturday and again on Easter Monday. The first game was won by South Sydney 31-18 before a crowd of 8000. On the Monday, they won again by 11-9 with a crowd of 6000. Both games were at the Exhibition Ground.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
That's a great photo with the jersey being pulled over Sait's head - Dennis Manteit is the Brothers player and he was one of the toughest of that (or any) era. Would have been an interesting clash with Sattler.

chelseabree

Juniors
Ah yes thanks for that. I never knew the score of the 1930 games. There is a fyler about the game that I would love to get. The info about the 1919 tour is slightly wrong I think. It was actually in 1918 according to the annual report. It also states that it was the first tour ever by a Sydney club to Qld.

IMG-46.jpg

IMG_0001-38.jpg

XXXX Cap

Juniors
That's great stuff. Looks like it was 1918 and pretty good effort playing in Rocky on the Wednesday between the other two games.