What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plane Crashes Into World Trade Centre

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Another plane, a United Airlines plane has crashed near Pittsburgh.

This brings the total to 4 planes which have been 'downed' by the US Airforce.

El Duque

Bench
Willow.I'm just up and wondered if anyone wanted to come in.
It's not my site or my chat,Im just there atm.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
In an interview, the Taliban spokesman was constantly asked if he expected reprisals... he repeatedly denied any involvment in the attack on the World Trade Centre Towers.

It seems to me that the USA will seek revenge soon. And it doesn't matter if justice is served as long as someone (aka anyone) is publicly punished.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sorry El Duque,I popped it before you posted... feel free to make any post.

This was a very calculated attack gentleman. All four planes were flying from the East Coast of the US to the West coast of the US (Los Angeles). Why is this significant? These bastards made sure that because they were onroute to fly across country, they had a full load of fuel, so as upon impact would cause the biggest and most catastrophic devastation possible. Low-life cowards!
The plane that crashed in Pittsburgh was in a rural area, and was onroute to the Capitol building in the US. The Capitol building is where the federal politicians work out of. The White House is the Presidents residence. It's believed that the pilot crashed the plane purposely to avoid another civilian disaster upon learning where his destination would be. If so ... he's a hero, albeit at the sacrifice of those on board. Sickening.
Today is September the 11th in the US, or 9/11. The US write their month first and then the day of the month, unlike here in Aus. Fascinating how that figure translates to 911, the US emergency code (similar to our 000).
In New York, unlike many other major cities, work commences mid to late morning, not early morning like some think. The World Trade Centre was barely half full because of this, and all reports comming in at present (5.10am AEST) that it could have been much worse than what it will eventuallyprove to be. There is no knowing or calculating at present how many people were also effected in the Subways below the World Trade Centre.

My aunty is a site Manager for the Defence Department at the Pentagon in Arlington -Virginia. My parents just got off the phone to here after about one hour of tears and joy. They were taken by surprise, and she was lucky to be running late back to her office at the time, and therefore was not effected. She said that the Navy portion of the Pentagon was the section that was hit. She doesn't know of casualties or the extent of damage.

I've never been a fan of President George W. Bush as I favoured Al Gore in the election, but make no mistake that, if ever there was a leader that was best suited for the position ATM in these terrible times,it is George W. Bush. He is resentless and asertive in these situations, and will/should take appropriate action.

I hope whoever is responsible is found and forced to endure the strongest and most gruesome punishment possible by mankind.
My prayers are with the families, friends and all those involved with this tragedy.
The United States of America will never be the same .... at least in our lifetime.
Sad & Emotional - Aaron C.

This is a day that had to come eventually. A major terrorist attack on the US is something that has been anticipated in fiction and speculated on by the US authorities since the 70's. Terrorism is something that must not be tolerated any more.
A worldwide purge on all terrorist organisations is called for.
These people have held the world to ransom in the past and now have us all living in fear.
The US should demand all countries that harbour terrorists such as Bin Lauden and others to hand them over for trial immediately.
The IRA, PLO, and all other groups that have indulged in terrorism need to be purged now and forever.

Ozbash2

Juniors
Gees,you wake up to hear this sort of news.
It's sickening how calculated it is,and the effects it will have worldwide.

L

legend

Apparently the U.S thinks Bin Laden and his dissidents are responsible for this. If that is the case they are supported by Afghanistan and that is where he seeks refuge. This attack was a planned attack on the U.S and the report of the fourth plane was that it was attempting to hit Camp David but was shot down with passengers on board. My prayers and condolences go out to all the victims and their families in this terrible time.

L

legend

U.S intelligence has just reported they are 90% certain Bin Laden is behind this. For me it is painting a very clear pciture. How do we know there arent some of his terrorists at work here in Australia? The boat people are mostly Afghan who provide shelter to this scum and the boat people are destroying their passports and indentification upon arrival in Australian water. How do we know who we are letting in to this country. Australia should close it borders immediately until a clearer picture can emerge.

imported_Jackal

Juniors
I can't believe what I'm seeing and hearing.
I just woke up and am seeing this for the worst time.
It's not the way I intended to start my day off Uni.
The loss of so many lives is tragic putting it mildly.
My all our prayers and wishes be with allthose involved ....

T

tigger

Gentlemen, today is a very sad day.

Due to the scale of this attack, i would make an educated guess that it involves Extremist Muslims..... Other terrorists groups have some compassion for human life, where as these people (if you can call them that), have no consideration for anything other than their religious cause.

Considering the outbreak of bad press on the Muslim Community over here from the Gang Rapes, i am sure the Amercians are going at it no holds barred. I would hate to be a Muslim in the US right now..... When thingfs like this happen, everyone is looking for a scapegoat & i am sure these people will be targeted both physically & verbally.

B

Bomber

In this city with no footpath there's a building with no people
There is crime and gun decisions
There's a street of heat and hawkers, there's a house of hope drifters
There's a gang that shoots then listens
There's a place that knows no poverty, a town without pollution
There's a soul with good intentions

There are canyons full of movie stars, churches made of metal
There are mountains made of muscle
We have leaders who are anxious, we have captains not courageous
Captains tumbling into madness
But there's a main who makes no enemies, a body never breathless
No ambition ever hopeless
Up on bedlam bridge somebody is waiting
Up on bedlam bridge I'm shot to heaven
Oh, up on bedalm bridge, waiting

In these locked and shackled neighbourhoods, bridge and tunnel diplomats
See the golden ghetto's creeper
Crazy flags from history, songs for the White House gangsters
Guns for hellgate railway sleepers
But there's a main who makes no enemies, a body never breathless
No ambition ever hopeless

So how stands the city on this winters night?
The city on the hill or so they said
The snow is falling down around the armoury
The city's closing in around my head
Up on bedlam bridge somebody is waiting
Up on bedlam bridge I'm shot to heaven
Oh, up on bedalm bridge, waiting

Drive, won't you drive the engines harder, drive
Drive, won't you turn the engines over, drive

TheSaint

Juniors
Legend, you can't paint all Afgans with the same brush. Many who try and escape do so because of the oppressive regieme that offers protection to Bin Laden. That is why these people get screened, but I can see the concern.

I feel soory for Arabs living in Australia who are going to kop it from ignorant fools.

This sickening attack on civilians will require retribution. The Americans will seek out those who started it. Where I see the problem is the more recent policy of placing embargoes on hostile nations and states rather then dirrect action. This economic warfare ends up costing lives in a different way, and obviously does not work. Afganistan, Sudan, Iraq and Libya have all ready been mentioned as states who harbour such terrorists. From some of the most recent conflicts, Americas tactics have not worked. Air Raids in Yugoslavia didn't achieve much, and the Gulf War failed to resolve that particular issue. Kurds are still pursecuted, the people of Iraq are still under the rule ofSadam Hussien, the people suffer because of sanctions and there is still a threat of action. If a war is to follow, it must be completely faught out. Vietnam was a failure and the Korean War technically never ended. resolution is needed in this case.

Indo China in the 60's and 70's
Central America in the 80's
Near and Far Middle East in the 90's
The good ole U.S of A has a lot to answer for with their interventionist politics all over the world.
No folks I do not agree one iota with what happened last night and I watched in absolute horror as the second plane took out tower no.2 and again as the towers collapsed.It was horrific but no more horriffic to what the American govt. in conjunction with the C.I.A. have been doing at will for the best part of 50 years.
You live by the sword you die by the sword.
I think the only help the U.S.A recieve fromshould be in the area of reconstruction and rebuilding.
Our very own jellybacked Prime Minister has pledged support of 100% in all areas.
If either of my 2 of age sons are to be pledged to the usa it WILL be over my dead body.

L

legend

The Saint, I think it is in Australias best and national interests to close its borders to all boat people. If the majority are Afghans who cannot be properly identified and then drift into mainstream society, how can we be sure these people are not associates of a terrorist organisation? That is not a risk I would be prepared to take for the sake of seen to be doing the right thing in the eyes of the international community. They were mocking us a week ago for our actions, now they understand exactly why the Government took the stance it did. Call me heartless or anything else, I am not really bothered by it but soemone needs to be taught a lesson and yes more innocent lives will be lost and if that is the cost of preserving our way of life, then so be it. I would rather shoot myself in the head than be forced to bow to an islamic fundamentalist group and their totally insane and reprehensible actions.

I want to see retribution to the point of total obliteration so something like this never happens again. I don't want to have to change my way of life and fall into line with a bunch of dickheads that are responsible for this and if it is not dealt with swiftly, this will the first of many incidents we will see in the forthcoming years. The time for bleeding heart liberalism and political correctness has ended and tough times call for tough actions. People will suffer and rightly so. Our very way of life has been threatened and yet you think we should take more people of questionable backgrounds who could pose a risk to our nation. My suggestion to you is why don't you open up your home and take in as many as you can if you feel that strongly about it.

The countries that house scumbags like Bin laden should be given an ultimatum, hand him and his associates over or face the consequences. That is fair in light of what has transpired in the last 24 hours.

BTW, in light of what has happened, the governments appeal against the boat people will be successful. The govt only has to say it's a case of national security and any judge worth his salt must rule in favour of the govt.

L

legend

Public enemy number 1:

1160954.jpg

<table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=5 width=492> <tbody> <tr> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>Where is Osama Bin Laden?
</td> <td bgcolor=#000000 rowspan=6 width=1>
clear.gif
</td> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>How often does U.S. intelligence know where he is? </td> <td bgcolor=#000000 rowspan=6 width=1>
clear.gif
</td> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>How does Bin Laden disguise his movements? </td></tr> <tr> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>How does he communicate? </td> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>Can he travel outside Afghanistan? </td> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>How is Bin Laden's terror network structured? </td></tr> <tr> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>Where does Al-Qaeda operate? </td> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>How does the network operate? </td> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>How long is an operation in the planning stages? </td></tr> <tr> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>How are operational responsibilities divided? </td> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>How much do these operations cost? </td> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>Does he focus on one target at a time? </td></tr> <tr> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>How important is operational security to Al-Qaeda? </td> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>Has the U.S. had any success against his operations? </td> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>Are his operations limited to bombings? </td></tr> <tr> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>Why haven't we tried to grab him? </td> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>How is his health? </td> <td>•</td> <td valign=top>Is there any indication he works with governments in the Middle East? </td></tr></tbody></table><a target=_top name=""></a>
NBC NEWS <table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width=472> <tbody> <tr> <td colspan=3 height=10></td></tr> <tr> <td align=left colspan=3 valign=top width=472>NEW YORK, Sept. 11, 2001 — Osama bin Laden, one-time ally of the CIA in the war against the Soviet army in Afghanistan, is now the primary suspect in the most deadly terrorist attack on the United States in the nation’s history. The Saudi-born millionaire has been sheltered by Afghanistan’s radical Taliban regime since 1996. NBC New investigative producer Robert Windrem has tracked bin Laden’s rise to the top of America’s Most Wanted list. Here are some questions and answers about bin Laden:</td></tr></tbody></table>&lt;!--- MPA NEW TEMPLATE CODE STARTS HERE --->
<table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width=612> <tbody> <tr> <td width=100> </td> <td width=20> </td> <td align=right valign=top width=472>
dotblack.gif
</td> <td width=20></td></tr></tbody></table> <table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width=612>&lt;!--include virtual="/ads/mp/mp_mgr_accipiter.txt"--> <tbody></tbody></table>&lt;!--- END MPA NEW TEMPLATE CODE HERE --->
<a target=_top name=BODY></a> <table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width=607> <tbody> <tr> <td width=34> </td> <td width=136></td> <td width=23></td> <td align=left valign=top width=361><a target=_top name=1></a>Where is Osama Bin Laden?
Most recently, he has been seen near Jalalabad, a city in eastern Afghanistan. He moves three or more times weekly, living in mud huts, tent cities, caves, etc. Bin Laden is accompanied by a security entourage, including heavily armed bodyguards and anti-aircraft guns mounted on trucks. Often, multiple sites are set up for his use and he will choose a site at the last minute. He is believed to have a network of some 400 operatives in Afghanistan, most having arrived with him from Sudan in 1996. <center> </center>

<a target=_top name=2></a>How often does U.S. intelligence know where he is?
In recent months, U.S. intelligence has gotten a better grasp on how he operates and where. “We are getting better at finding him. There are days and days where we don’t know where he is,” said one U.S. official. On other days, the U.S. has “different degrees of specificity as to where he is. Does he move every night? Not every night...but he moves a lot.” At the time of the embassy bombings, the U.S. had no idea where he was.
<center> </center>

<a target=_top name=3></a>How does Bin Laden disguise his movements?
Bin Laden regularly varies the details of his movements. He will vary not only the number of vehicles in his convoys, for example, but also the type of vehicle as well. On some travels, he will give his entourage hours’ notice of his departure. At other times, he will leave at a moment’s notice. He will also have several locations prepared, with only a few of his aides knowing which he will ultimately choose. While he does not change locations every night, he changes about twice a week.
<center> </center>

<a target=_top name=4></a>How does he communicate?
His biggest problem remains communications, which the U.S. has successfully compromised. Another official said, “He’s stopped using satellite phones, although we’ve caught many of his couriers, it only takes fifty bucks to buy someone in Afghanistan.” Bin Laden previously used Inmarsat phones until he discovered that U.S. was intercepting his communications off the Inmarsat-3 satellite over the Indian Ocean. For years, the National Security Agency would distribute verbatim transcripts of calls Bin Laden made to subordinates. One of the biggest breaks in the embassy bombing investigation was interception of a congratulatory phone call in the days after the bombings.
Other officials note the clever combination of 19th and 20th century means of communications Bin Laden has adapted. Bin Laden’s couriers often carry encrypted floppy disks and meet in third. Once in the hands of the target nation’s cell, the disk is de-encrypted. He has also used faxes from remote locations and in some cases, internet-based e-mail. In addition to encryption, Al-Qaeda has used various code words and aliases to disguise identities. Bin Laden has been described in Al-Qaeda communications as “the Sheikh,” “Hajj,” “Abu Abdullah,” and “the Director.” Fazul Abdullah Mohammed, mastermind of the embassy bombings, used at least three aliases. Ramzi Yousef, mastermind of the World Trade Center, used 15 as well as 11 passports. One law enforcement source said Al-Qaeda has been trying to recruit Americans as couriers, knowing an American passport is easier to use worldwide.
<center> </center>

<a target=_top name=5></a>Can he travel outside Afghanistan?
Bin Laden is believed to have access to “several planes,” the ownership of which is “a bit cloudy...but there are certainly enough aircraft to move a rather tall terrorist,” one senior U.S. intelligence official said. Bin Laden traveled around the Muslim world in charter jets for years prior to his exile in Afghanistan. He also owns a private jet, said an intelligence official.
<center> </center>

<a target=_top name=6></a>How is Bin Laden’s terror network, Al-Qaeda, structured?
Bin Laden is the undisputed leader, called “emir” or “prince” by his followers who must take a sworn oath to him, violation of which is punishable by death. Beneath him is the “shura al-majlis” or “consultative council” which includes his top lieutenants. His two aides are Egyptians: Ayman al-Zawahiri, a physician and leader of al-Jihad, the violent Egyptian group responsible for the Luxor tourist massacre in 1995. Muhammed Atef, his military commander who also served in al-Jihad.
A “fatwah” committee of the council makes the decisions to carry out terrorist attacks.
<center> </center>

<a target=_top name=7></a>Where does Al-Qaeda operate?
Al-Qaeda is believed to have operations in 60 countries, active cells in 20, including the United States. It is also believed to operate training centers in both Afghanistan and Sudan, the first beginning operations in 1994 with representatives from Egyptian, Algerian, Tunisian and Palestinian extremist groups. Among the countries identified as having active cells of Al-Qaeda are Pakistan, Afghanistan, Kosovo, Chechnya, Philippines, Egypt, Tunisia, etc.
<center> </center>

<a target=_top name=8></a>How does Al-Qaeda network operate?
Its operations are meticulous, with some plans in the works for months if not years. They are also clever and Bin Laden himself is very much hands on.
Some examples:
dotBlack.gif
The 1993 World Trade Center bombers cased the twin towers multiple times, looking not just at security but the points under the trade center that an explosion could do the most damage.
dotBlack.gif
The East Africa embassy bombers phoned in credible threats to the embassy, and then observed the embassy response.
dotBlack.gif
The 1995 assassination attempt of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, was based on surveillance of Mubarak’s security arrangements in Ethiopia two years earlier. Similarly, Bin Laden operatives videotaped security arrangements at President Clinton’s 1994 visit to Manila, knowing he had already committed to visiting the Philippine capital for an Asian-Pacific summit two years later. The tapes were sent to Bin Laden, then living in Sudan.
“He may have begun as a venture capitalist for terrorism,” said one high-ranking intelligence officer of his evolution as a terrorist. “But there is no doubt now that he is operating like a CEO.”
<center> </center>

<a target=_top name=10></a>How long is an operation in the planning stages?
The minimum appears to be four to six months, with some plans evolving over years. The surveillance of the East Africa embassy bombings began in 1993, five years before the bombing was carried out.
<center> </center>

<a target=_top name=11></a>How are operational responsibilities divided?
Each operation has a planning cell and an execution cell, with the execution cell arriving on the scene in some cases only weeks before the attack is carried out.
In most cases, like the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and the embassy bombings, an outsider recruits local country nationals to operate as a cell. Cells rarely number more than 10 people. In rare cases are the bombers—either the planners or the operators—over the age of 30. At the time of the two bombings, the masterminds were both aged 25.
Plans are made in one location then the bomb is made in another. In the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, the planning took place in a Jersey City apartment, the materials were stored in a self-storage facility and bomb was put together in a garage. Similarly in Nairobi, the planning was done at a rundown hotel in downtown, while the bomb was put together in a suburban villa.
<center> </center>

<a target=_top name=12></a>How much do these operations cost? Bin Laden has enormous resources. Is using up most of his money?
“Terrorism is not an expensive sport,” said one senior Treasury Department official who tracks terrorists’ money. The total cost of the 1993 World Trade Center attack amounted to around $18,000, including purchase of equipment, rental of the van used in the bombing, purchase of a car, rental of two apartments, a garage and the self-storage space as well as plane tickets. Not included in the cost: $6,000 in unpaid phone bills.
Although at the time of the embassy bombings, the CIA and others pegged Bin Laden’s wealth at $300 million, subsequent intelligence gathering has resulted in a significant reduction of the estimate, although the number is still in the tens of millions.
<center> </center>

<a target=_top name=13></a>Does he focus on one target at a time or simultaneously plan various attacks?
Said one official of his recent planning, “He is planning several hits and at some point he’s going to break through.” U.S. officials note that the embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania were to be accompanied by other, near simultaneous bombings in other world capitals. One in Tirana, Albania, was foiled days before it took place, so a series of coordinated attacks is well within his operational capabilities.
<center> </center>

<a target=_top name=14></a>How important is operational security to Al-Qaeda?
Very, say officials. They have seen repeated instances where if operatives encounter something unexpected, they will “go back to square one” out of fear that operational security has been breached. There is little autonomy, little spontaneity in operational matters and changes in plans must be approved at higher levels. The cell leader on the scene can call off an operation without consulting anyone higher, said a senior intelligence official.
Said one counter-terror official: “They have one idea...alter it for them, then they go back to drawing board. They are not agile. They have to reload and that takes months...about four to six months.”
“They are very willing to trade time for operational security.”
<center> </center>

<a target=_top name=15></a>Has the U.S. had any success against his operations?
Without providing details, CIA Director George Tenet has publicly testified that the CIA has disrupted “several” terrorist attacks against Americans. U.S. officials confirm those disruptions have involved planned attacks by Bin Laden.
More than 100 of his operatives have been arrested worldwide since the embassy bombings in August 1998 on every continent but Australia and Antarctica. Five men accused of conspiring in the embassy bombings are in U.S. custody, awaiting trial in Manhattan. Another is awaiting extradition in London. Among operations believed to have been thwarted: a planned attack on U.S. facilities in London early this year and an attack on FBI Headquarters in Washington this past summer.
“We keep stopping him; he keeps coming back,” said one Pentagon official. “You cannot overestimate the danger this man poses to the United States”, said a senior White House official.
“He has re-generated some cells and started new ones,” said a Pentagon official involved in tracking Bin Laden. “We will be dealing with him for a long time because his organizational capability continues to improve. Does it suck being UBL [the common shorthand in U.S. intelligence community for Bin Laden]? Yes. He is on the road all the time. It is hard to conduct business. He can’t touch a phone. He is constantly on run. But he is still out there.”
<center> </center>

<a target=_top name=16></a>Are his operations limited to bombings or does he have aspirations in the nuclear, biological and chemical areas?
Officials from intelligence, military, emergency management and national security agencies say Bin Laden is branching out: planning assassinations using “contact poisons”, obtaining “rudimentary” chemical and biological materials, trying to acquire radioactive material.
The newest information which one official called “fascinating” is that Bin Laden may be returning to an old strategy: assassination. One Pentagon official involved in tracking Bin Laden says the man officials call “the terrorist prince” has been obtaining “contact poisons...KGB-like pellets” that would be used in assassinations and in some cases are difficult or impossible to detect in an autopsy. The official noted that in the early 1990’s Bin Laden and his Al-Qaeda network was involved in assassination attempts on Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, Pakistan Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto and Jordanian Crown Prince—now King—Abdullah as well as planning to kill Pope John Paul and President Clinton.
He added that public U.S. intelligence reports on Bin Laden’s training camps have noted the network has instructed terrorists in assassination and kidnapping.
The contact poisons are among “rudimentary chemical and biological stuff” Bin Laden has obtained recently. However, one official said the network’s efforts to obtain such materials is “scattershot and unfocused...all over the board” without a pattern to indicate what he might be planning.
“He is looking for all sorts of stuff” adding that twice Bin Laden operatives tried to obtain nuclear materials. Bin Laden’s German operation was the victim of a sting operation in 1993 when it tried to buy highly enriched uranium on the Soviet black market. A year later, another similar attempt failed. The Bin Laden operatives in charge of those attempts, Mamdouh Salim and Ramzi Yousef, are in U.S. custody. Moreover, Russian intelligence has told the United States that they believe Bin Laden has been working with Chechen rebels to obtain radioactive material for a “radiological dispersal device” or “dirty bomb” that would spray the potentially deadly material over a small area. An official involved in planning emergency response to a terrorist attack says the U.S. has taken the intelligence seriously.
However, officials cautioned that there is “no sense of a technical sophistication” in Bin Laden’s camp and that “this stuff is much more difficult to use than people think.
“After all, Saddam Hussein spent $8 billion on nuclear weapons and came away with (nothing). He doesn’t know how to do this. He is spending every night in a different mud hut, so we’re not too worried that he is reprocessing plutonium.”
On the other hand, the official added, “if he is stumbling onto something, there is no doubt he will use it.”
<center> </center>

<a target=_top name=17></a>Why haven’t we tried to grab him?
“We are serious about going after him,” said one senior administration official. “He is serious about going after us. If we can nail his ass, we will. But it is going to be action and reaction for a long time.”
Doing a “snatch-and-grab” operation “time to time looks appealing,” said a Pentagon official. Has the U.S. planned such a mission? Yes, said the official. Has the U.S. put Delta Force personnel on planes in preparation for such a mission? “Not recently.” The big problem remains the need for real time information on his whereabouts.
<center> </center>

<a target=_top name=18></a>How is his health? A few months ago, there were reports he was terminally ill. What became of those reports?
A senior counter-terrorism official said the latest CIA analysis is that he is “a hypochondriac...but then he has chosen a stressful lifestyle and that can manifest itself in strange ways if you are worried about getting a TLAM (missile) up your ass.”
Nevertheless, he is known to have an enlarged heart, chronically low blood pressure and is missing toes on one foot from a battle wound suffered in Afghanistan. He is regularly attended by a physician.
<center> </center>

<a target=_top name=19></a>Is there any indication he works with governments in the Middle East?
Aside from Afghanistan, where Bin Laden has long-standing ties—including some possible family ties—with the ruling Taliban, there are indications Bin Laden has some contacts with both the governments of Iran and Pakistan.
The connections with Iran are described in recent Justice Department papers filed in the embassy bombing case. The U.S. alleges that on two different occasions in the early 1990’s, a senior religious leader from Iran met with Bin Laden’s representatives in Khartoum to discuss putting aside religious differences — Bin Laden is a Wahabi Muslim, Iran is Shiite—and cooperate against western interests. However, there is no information to suggest any joint operations were ever planned or carried out.
The link with Pakistan is more current. One issue that distresses U.S. officials is intelligence that Bin Laden, Kashmiri Muslim rebels in India and Pakistan’s Inter-Service Intelligence [ISI], its quasi-autonomous military intelligence agency are involved in “monkey business” together. The U.S. used the ISI in the 1980’s to fund, train and arm the Afghan mujahedin, including Bin Laden, in its fight against the Soviet Red Army.
Calling it a “stew”, a “crazy soup” and a “cozy relationship”, two officials noted that the key to the relationship is Pakistan’s use of rebel insurgents in Kashmir, the troubled region that has been the subject of three wars between Pakistan and India. Muslim fighters, financed by the ISI but trained by Bin Laden, have been operating in the Indian part of Kashmir.
“The Pakistanis have interest in working with people who can help them in Kashmir. Bin Laden has an interest in helping Muslim fighters. It is a cozy relationship.”
In fact, said the officials, the U.S. now believes that most of those killed in last August’s attack on Bin Laden camps in Afghanistan were Kashmiri insurgents training to kill Indians. And that linkage, they note, is critical to understanding both Bin Laden’s network and the future of religious terrorism. Bin Laden they note has had connections over the years with other terrorist groups in Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Egypt, Chechnya, Bosnia, Albania, Algeria, Uruguay and Ecuador.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

imported_Kaon

Juniors
They had some sort of expert on the today show this morning and he said that the Islamic Jihad would not have the expertise to pull off this operation.

The Terroists were trained to fly commercial airlines so my guess is that it was Iraq.

Latest posts