What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players Off contract

BennyV

Referee
Upgrades hey. So what players are demanding upgrades? Frizzell and maybe Aitken. I don't see any other player inside the current squad who would be in line for an upgrade.

Cooper - gone
Creagh - likely to be gone
Havili - Likely to be gone
Matautia - gone
Farrell - Likely to be gone

Then you look at other players off contract Rein, Marshall etc. There's something horribly wrong with this scenario, I cannot accept we're out of cash on upgrades.

I believe he was referring to junior upgrades. Garrick and Herbert were both upgraded, was Host upgraded this year? Possibly still sorting deals for Leilua and goodly Dufty.

In saying that, he quoted $900k and I can't see where that value is.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I believe he was referring to junior upgrades. Garrick and Herbert were both upgraded, was Host upgraded this year? Possibly still sorting deals for Leilua and goodly Dufty.

In saying that, he quoted $900k and I can't see where that value is.

I think the term "upgrade" is loosely used to cover up deals with senior players on "back-end" contracts.
Of all the clubs we have the most players coming off contract in 2017 (20 players).
That's where I see most of the 900K being spent.

saintm

Juniors
Wont have to worry about Dufty,s upgrade as the club have told him he does not fit in to there future structure.Go figure,then again Bird didnt either "well done dragons we are so smart"

stg666

Juniors
lucky luciano leilua is a must . lazy or not . we will just have to get that out of him . WHAT A WEAPON

Forster Dragon

Juniors
They are idiots if they let Dufty go.The best young fullback we have had for years.Why am I not surprised with the current mob running the show.Clean them out please.

Dragsters

First Grade
lucky luciano leilua is a must . lazy or not . we will just have to get that out of him . WHAT A WEAPON

I dunno if it's just because they were televised but the few times I've seen him play lately he has been anything but lazy.

For a 120kg bloke he has been busy around the ruck, johnny on the spot picking up loose balls and generally looking energetic.

During the storm game he sprinted into a vacant dummy half, scooped up the pill with one hand and drew a penalty from a marker not square!

Hardly lazy imo.

T-Rex on the other hand, when he's off the ball he is always walking. That's what I call lazy!

Lethal25

Juniors
Leilua is a must IMO. His size and skill set are exactly what you'd want in a back rower, and he is very involved. Far from lazy

pjljmjjj

Juniors
Wont have to worry about Dufty,s upgrade as the club have told him he does not fit in to there future structure.Go figure,then again Bird didnt either "well done dragons we are so smart"

That's a JOKE don't we need exciting, quick and agile outside backs not to mention a local junior who really wants to play with Saints.

TheRev

First Grade
Leilua is a must IMO. His size and skill set are exactly what you'd want in a back rower, and he is very involved. Far from lazy
If I was going to pick 1 bloke to promote this season (from Cutters or 20s), its Leilua, 120kg is just the size we need, and he may not come good but he has the potential... but if we sign him it will be for several seasons (along with Host & Sele so thats a big chunk of our squad).

afaik we have 1 slot left to fill Ikahifo/Matautai's loss.. thing is we also have Sele yet to find a spot in 1st grade, but Leilua could be used as an impact player at some stage.

very different situation if Cooper, Creagh & Mose are all back.. but for the moment there is opportunity as Marketo, Matthews and Lui arent must-have inclusions.

Dragsters

First Grade
I would love to see this happen.

We don't really have a half ready to step up now and we are well stocked for backs so I think this is a good option.

Used correctly as impact from the bench he could be a real X-factor coming on at the back end of either or even each half if he goes well.

Size and ball skills with great feet he could be a real weapon.

I would prefer promoting Luc to rushing Mose back late this season.

saintm

Juniors
I would love to see this happen.

We don't really have a half ready to step up now and we are well stocked for backs so I think this is a good option.

Used correctly as impact from the bench he could be a real X-factor coming on at the back end of either or even each half if he goes well.

Size and ball skills with great feet he could be a real weapon.

I would prefer promoting Luc to rushing Mose back late this season.

Agree can play. maybe just needs to work a bit on fitness

Dragsters

First Grade
Hence the short stints.

We can even afford to choose which games to play/rest him depending on how he handles it and pulls up.

TheRev

First Grade
Exactly, short stints, 120kg, some skill.. work in progress.. only issue is he hasnt played NSW Cup yet, youd think he might play there first... definitely a pre-season in the top grade would be sensational for the kid.. is Matty Cooper the nutritionist? He should be ;-)

Saint or sinner

Juniors
We never give young guys ago like other clubs do then they leave us..Hastings... Bird.. Age shouldn't matter if there good enough throw them in before someone else poaches them ... Sooooo frustrating