What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players you rated who ended up dissapointing you

Joker's Wild

Coach
Akulia Uate - Was talked up as the next Lote, scored some brilliant trys early on but just keeps making the same rookie mistakes again and again and again and again and again. Superb athlete, ordinary footballer.

nqcowboy87

Bench
Agree with Josh Lewis. Was pissed off when the rosters signed him. Saw him play against East's in a flegg grand final. Soward was playing for the rosters.

Can't remember the year but Brownie was the coach I think.

josh lewis played in the 2005 flegg grand final aginst the eels and was coached by steve price (not the steve priuce your thinking of obviously). jamie soward played in the 2004 grand final for the roosters vs cronulla

Daza_06

Juniors
Was a big fan of both Ben Harris and Sia Soliola when they 1st got their chance in the NRL. Harris seemed the goods then headed off to the UK where the standard of the game there stayed with him when he came back to the cowboys.
Soliola had a lot of talk on him and he backed it up when 1st playing NRL, then think he may have injured his knee and never reached that potential.
Injury has hit sooo many players who show potential at a young age or when starting out only to come back never the same

Meth

Staff member
As a Warriors fan, the biggest disappointment for me has been Ali Lauitiiti. Not so much his development as a player, but the cloudy circumstances under which he left the club in 2004. Similarly, Iafeta Paleaaesina

Thus far, Brent Tate- mostly because of injury

NAS

Juniors
A few other names I've thought of,

1) Jacin Sinclair- Centre for Balmain and Souths in the mid to late 90's...could have been anything. Had class, speed and size, but couldn't get his act together

2) Brandon Pearson/Costin- Almost a replica of Sinclair above...changed his name after the Ben Kennedy ecstasy incident.

3) Matt Seers- Ok I know he played one origin game....but if you recall his first season at norths, he was touted as the next fullback for NSW for a long time......Underachieved massively.

4) Willie Manu- This guy could have been anything!!

5) Craig Field- I still don't understand how this guy threw it all away.....Played great for souths, went to Manly and continued form for a good season and a half, and then it just all fell away for him........

6) Darrell Trindall- Ok this is going to be a contentious one. Tricky did have a great career if you consider that he played first grade solidly for over 10 years. But he could have been the greatest player (certainly the greatest indigenous player) to have ever played the game if he actually took it seriously. On his day, he was the equal of Ricky Stuart and Alan Langer.....problem was that his day seldom came around. Is hands down the greatest player to never play in a finals series or rep.

nqcowboy87

Bench
i didnt really rate him but i didnt really follow league strongly back in the late 90's, but russel richardson burst onto the scene, the next et they said, second year of fg played for aus, next year back in the aus side starting centre, and his career kinda faltered after that even after being given a lifeline by the knights in 2004

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach
Owen Craigie wins this thread. Thanks all for playing, but your duds have nothing on the level of disappointment this guy has brought to the table.

Timbo

Staff member
Jermaine Ale is the biggest one, but Craig Frawley runs a close second for mine.

taxidriver

Coach
Phil Blake.
Jason Alchin.
Willie Peters.
Simon Woolford.
Solomon Haumono.

Phil Blake?

he had two seasons with us and was great

15 tries and played in a grand final

wish half our duds had done the same.

Damien Chapman
Damien Bower
Daniel Holdsworth
Ben Kusto

Mark McLinden
Owen Craigie
Sonny Bill
Jermaine Ale
Odell Manuel
Andrew McFadden
Tim Smith
Richie Williams
Joven Clarke
Leon Bott
Karl McNichol
Greg Waddell
Michael Witt
Steve Witt

nqcowboy87

Bench
i think we can all agree owen craigie is the undisputed champion but that doesn't mean there arent others

Iafeta

Referee
A few other names I've thought of,

1) Jacin Sinclair- Centre for Balmain and Souths in the mid to late 90's...could have been anything. Had class, speed and size, but couldn't get his act together

2) Brandon Pearson/Costin- Almost a replica of Sinclair above...changed his name after the Ben Kennedy ecstasy incident.

3) Matt Seers- Ok I know he played one origin game....but if you recall his first season at norths, he was touted as the next fullback for NSW for a long time......Underachieved massively.

4) Willie Manu- This guy could have been anything!!

5) Craig Field- I still don't understand how this guy threw it all away.....Played great for souths, went to Manly and continued form for a good season and a half, and then it just all fell away for him........

6) Darrell Trindall- Ok this is going to be a contentious one. Tricky did have a great career if you consider that he played first grade solidly for over 10 years. But he could have been the greatest player (certainly the greatest indigenous player) to have ever played the game if he actually took it seriously. On his day, he was the equal of Ricky Stuart and Alan Langer.....problem was that his day seldom came around. Is hands down the greatest player to never play in a finals series or rep.

My favourite player at the time was Brett Mullins. I used to love how easy Mullins made it look, gliding through the line and then smoking them with epic pace. I remember when Seers chased down Mullins on a long break. Couldn't believe it. Couldn't believe anyone could do it. Anyone with that type of pace should have gone a lot further than Seers did.

McLovin

Staff member
Karl McNichol aka the next SBW...played one first grade game...hasn't been seen since..

Iafeta

Referee
Paul Franze. When Johnny Carlaw was at the Warriors, Carlaw was just so solid. He played a lot of class centres and held his own, often holding out these centres with aplomb. To me, Carlaw was such an unsung hero. I really liked him as a player. But I went to Ericsson Stadium in 2002, Warriors-Sharks, its the game Stacey Jones comes back a few weeks early and helps the Warriors carve up. The highlight for the Sharks to me was Franze, he carved Johnny up a couple of times with swift footwork.

And then, he really went nowhere after that.

Three players from the Warriors:

Sione Faumuina - couldn't control his ego and the drink. Ridiculously skilled player, he could chip over the top and create a try, he could offload in the tackle, play before the line with precision and he had enough pace to play out in the centres.

Tevita Latu - Before he got struck down with TB at the Warriors, his start was awesome. I recall a game against Brisbane in 2003, Hohaia went down early (Jones was already out injured), so the Warriors were basically without an established playmarker. Latu carved up a few times out of dummy half, he was just electric. Pity about everything that happened after that. Such a shame, because when he was back for the World Cup he still looked a class player.

Vince Mellars - Big, quick, but it just never happened. On his debut he scored a try and then set up one, and then a couple of months later he's in the media through his father saying he wants to leave the Warriors and go to the Sharks. WTF? I'm not sure what had happened behind the scenes but I have a feeling he had got caught up in the hype and that he'd be able to live on the beach, live it casual and still deliver on his potential. Again, never happened. He went to the Sharks and after a top start to win them a game on the bell, his career died down. Apparently he's going quite well in Super League.