What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

Canard

Immortal
Would you have preferred I typed it in pidgin or something? I can confirm 100%, just for you that no Kangaroos' players were killed or injured by the 'affectionate' mob.

All this talk of expansion - I realise its been done to death here, but how many teams does the NRL actually need? 16 plus Perth, central coast, a second Brisbane team, another NZ side, throw in PNG. Do we really want a 20+ side competition?

Why its not like I didn't understand you??

I was saying your point was overly simplistic.

To suggest there would be NO safety concerns because they players are famous and idolised seems like something that has come from the mind of a child?

gerg

Juniors
Why its not like I didn't understand you??

I was saying your point was overly simplistic.

To suggest there would be NO safety concerns because they players are famous and idolised seems like something that has come from the mind of a child?

Have you lived in PNG?

Canard

Immortal
Yes and my mother lived there for about 20 years, before I was born.

Lots of people would be security for there favourite Rugby League players in Australia for free also, would that would mean it would happen?

Hell, Id be "security" for Jessica Alba for free for the rest of my life...

gerg

Juniors
Yes and my mother lived there for about 20 years, before I was born.

Lots of people would be security for there favourite Rugby League players in Australia for free also, would that would mean it would happen?

Hell, Id be "security" for Jessica Alba for free for the rest of my life...

So you should know exactly what I'm talking about. But you're entitled to disagree without your bullsh*t petty insults.

Canard

Immortal
So you should know exactly what I'm talking about. But you're entitled to disagree without your bullsh*t petty insults.

???

You came back with the first insult, saying "Do I need to speak in Pidgin"?

The more bids pushing the expansion the better. It shows the true colors of the nrl and just how strong our comp is considering the number of fledging franchises seeking entry.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again income and having a full strength squad capable of comepting at NRL level are the two biggies that have to be satisfied.

As an example, the avg wage in PNG is $500 a month. One game in Perth in June had an income revenue of around $400k. Do you realise how many people would need to pack into a stadium in port Moresby and pay a full weeks salary to reach that amount? (40k is the answer!). I know running costs might be lower but not much if they want to keep players and pay for all the back team that is needed to run a prof sports business.

The advantage of 4 years in the Q'land cup are that they could be developing their players and backroom staff to a higher level, give a pathway for their jnrs to develop into 1st graders and come 2017 be in a much stronger playing position. The only way they could do it though is with some significant grants from somewhere. it cost the WA Reds close to $750k a year to run a Bundy cup team all up and without a sizeable ARL contribution it wasn't viable as there is very little income available for that level of comp.

gerg

Juniors
Again income and having a full strength squad capable of comepting at NRL level are the two biggies that have to be satisfied.

As an example, the avg wage in PNG is $500 a month. One game in Perth in June had an income revenue of around $400k. Do you realise how many people would need to pack into a stadium in port Moresby and pay a full weeks salary to reach that amount? (40k is the answer!). I know running costs might be lower but not much if they want to keep players and pay for all the back team that is needed to run a prof sports business.

The advantage of 4 years in the Q'land cup are that they could be developing their players and backroom staff to a higher level, give a pathway for their jnrs to develop into 1st graders and come 2017 be in a much stronger playing position. The only way they could do it though is with some significant grants from somewhere. it cost the WA Reds close to $750k a year to run a Bundy cup team all up and without a sizeable ARL contribution it wasn't viable as there is very little income available for that level of comp.

Would it better to get a PNG side in the NYC instead a few years prior to them getting an NRL side?

The fact that average wages in PNG are so low is one of the reasons why a club there wouldn't need anywhere near the kind of money to run a club that a Sydney club does. All of their lower level staff would be paid bugger all. Throw in some tax benefits and other government leg-ups and a free stadium and they will have huge financial advantages over other clubs. Not to mention being the biggest show in town, which would attract plenty of corporate support. Huge companies like Coca Cola, Nike and Oktedi are or have already been involved with RL and/or this bid. Add in any number of smaller companies and they could be very well supported. People there might not make much but there's 6 million people plus there, and growing, and this club will be the most popular institution in the country. That carries some value. They will be the biggest RL club in the world based on number of fans.

hattori hanzo

Juniors
I agree Finances would not be the problem, to go with there sponsorship dollars doesn't the NRL give something like 3 Mil to every team annually. The cap is only 4.2m that alone will pay for the majority of players. It starts to make we wonder why are teams like the Sharks stuggling so bad financially.

BDH

Juniors
I don't want to be one of "those guys", but the truth is, Port Moresby is 100 years off permanently having a team. Unless Mining companies are prepared to pour millions into it, forever, it will never work. And I guarantee the share holders of said companies won't allow that to happen long term.

Before anyone flames me, let me say I have been to PNG twice. Please don't flame me if you haven't been to or are unaware of the social problems in PNG.
However I will offer an olive branch, in trying to capture potential junior players, as well as increased advertising of the code;

BDH's solution;

A franchise bid, named "Pacific Fury".

Based out of WELLINGTON, however home games played once (or twice depending on how much the NRL is prepared to subside the franchise) a season in each of Tonga, Samoa and PNG. Exhibition matches taken to Cook Islands, (and the as yet untapped) Solomon Islands and New Caledonia.

This would give a real voice to a Polynesian/Melanesian RL community, as well as opening up potential juniors from the very poor Solomon Islands and the economically-sound (but yet untapped) New Caledonia. New Caledonia in particular, opens up a branch to French RL as well.

Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Solomon Islands, New Caledonia and Cook Islands would all have some representation in RL. Sure three of these countries are already minnow nations, however the potential to open up new markets, particularly in New Caledonia is very exciting. Being a French Pacific Territory this could open up a connection to French RL. Solomon Islands is the crossroads of the Melanesian and Polynesian cultures, the kids there are crazy for any sport.

A crazy thought no doubt, but no more crazy than throwing a team into Port Moresby.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Taking NRL games up there once they get the new stadium will be one of the first steps.
Realistically PNG NRL team is about 15 years away from a serious bid.

I got no doubt they have the juniors and there is some other great aspects of the bid. However the security of teams and players must be paramount.

I would love to see a pathway built by the NRL for PNG youth players. If nurtured correctly I can see 20-30 PNG born players in the NRL comp by the year 2017.

Bro Bear

Juniors
How about each NRL club "foster" a PNG player through their NYC. Love to see PNG have a team but it is a dangerous place.

2013 CC Bears and WA Reds

PNG No earlier than 2025. QLD Cup first.

Eels Dude

Coach
I agree Finances would not be the problem, to go with there sponsorship dollars doesn't the NRL give something like 3 Mil to every team annually. The cap is only 4.2m that alone will pay for the majority of players. It starts to make we wonder why are teams like the Sharks stuggling so bad financially.

Because players wages are only a small part of what clubs have to finance. You have to take into account coaching and administration staff, venue hiring and equipment, insurance,and really anything that you have to spend cash on to fund a professional sporting team. Clubs spend between 15m and 20m per annum and money doesn't grow on trees.

jim_57

Staff member
Taking NRL games up there once they get the new stadium will be one of the first steps.
Realistically PNG NRL team is about 15 years away from a serious bid.

I got no doubt they have the juniors and there is some other great aspects of the bid. However the security of teams and players must be paramount.

I would love to see a pathway built by the NRL for PNG youth players. If nurtured correctly I can see 20-30 PNG born players in the NRL comp by the year 2017.

That's what needs to happen, getting the best juniors into the NRL in coming years. The NRL can give the bid team a set list of goals to achieve to get a license but in the meantime work hard on getting alot more juniors into the NRL system, the fact that there are only a handful from a country of 6 million RL nuts smacks of laziness.

Priority one should be getting their National team competitive and giving them regular, high profile games, the NRL teams is 10 years off atleast.

Perth Red

Post Whore
why exactly would the mining companies sponsor them? They are not charities and unless there is something in it for their bottom line they will not be interested. Aside from Knights is there any other mining company anywhere sponsoring a sports team?

The only reason the Reds hope to be able to attract a mining company sponsor is they are desperate to attract workers from the east coast to WA so there may be a willingness to get their company in front of 10 million East coasters.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
why exactly would the mining companies sponsor them? They are not charities and unless there is something in it for their bottom line they will not be interested. Aside from Knights is there any other mining company anywhere sponsoring a sports team?

The only reason the Reds hope to be able to attract a mining company sponsor is they are desperate to attract workers from the east coast to WA so there may be a willingness to get their company in front of 10 million East coasters.

My guess would be that the PNG government would be giving companies tax breaks, kinda like we get for donating to charity.

The PNG NRL team could be seen as a community program up there.

sean11evo11

Juniors
Interview with David Gallop regarding PNG's NRL bid on radioaustralia.net.au :
Can't post the link because I don't have 20 posts :(

TheRam

Coach

Now you're just talking out of your arse.

Latest posts