What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG Looking to join in 2010

Titanic

First Grade
Won't work - that's why they gave up the last time. When will the QRL learn that they have to spend a little to get a lot. Shave some of Livermore's outrageous salary.

joshreading

Staff member
Won't work - that's why they gave up the last time. When will the QRL learn that they have to spend a little to get a lot. Shave some of Livermore's outrageous salary.

I agree, its just like the failure that is the Gold Coast.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
The PNG Government is reportedly sponsoring the application and will be contributing to the travel costs.

I'm sure it's all part of the QRL's Strategic Plan for the competition. :roll:

Having a Third World country as a sponsor in their competition is somehow appropriate.

Goddo

Bench
Okay for QLD cup, but definately not NRL worthy. If they think this means an NRL licence in 2013 they are dreaming. This could be a step in the direction of having a split second tier to the NRL though, and a way out for fading clubs like Cronulla... NSWRL would become "southern conference" QLDRL a "northern conference"; Promotion to the NRL based on strength and available licence. Really opens expansion options.

what will it bring to the existing NRL competition though?
Potentially 6 million fans and player pool, BUT in terms of tv rights, the game as is would be worth top dollar in PNG, which isn't much. Who wants to watch Melbourne/Canberra/New Zealand/Perth v Port Morsby?

Ticket sales won't generate enough income to keep it going.
Crime will be a major issue.
Players - who is going to move to PNG???
Sponsors? Giving tax breaks to heavy poluters for sponsoring the team is wrong.
Government money should be spent elsewhere in a third world joint.

Won't happen.

Last edited:
BUT in terms of tv rights, the game as is would be worth top dollar in PNG, which isn't much. Who wants to watch Melbourne/Canberra/New Zealand/Perth v Port Morsby?

I disagree. The goodwill generated in Australia towards a PNG NRL team would be incredible - and this goodwill would of course flow across to the sport as a whole. I think people would love to watch them especially if they exhibit the joy they did in the World Cup - they'd instantly become everyone's "second team".

In terms of the TV rights (from the PNG Courier):

Embel said TV rights would be a major issue but encouraged interested television companies to express their interest as there will be a double tax benefit.
Embel said it would cost the interested TV company K50 million to buy the television rights.

This is roughly $A22m.

Ticket sales won't generate enough income to keep it going.
Crime will be a major issue.
Players - who is going to move to PNG???
Sponsors? Giving tax breaks to heavy poluters for sponsoring the team is wrong.
Government money should be spent elsewhere in a third world joint.

Considering the significant economic and development benefits for PNG if they were to gain an NRL franchise I would say it's money pretty well spent.

Of course there are other issues. Though, as the Port Moresby Vipers experiment showed last time, visiting teams had no problems with crime or violence and were given excellent hospitality.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Who said anything about the NRL ? Why can't a team apply for the Queensland Cup without every bloody Sydneysider worrying about the impact on the NRL ?

Port Moresby were a great inclusion in the Queensland Cup in 1996 and 1997, and this team will be as well.

Titanic

First Grade
Who said anything about the NRL ? Why can't a team apply for the Queensland Cup without every bloody Sydneysider worrying about the impact on the NRL ?

Port Moresby were a great inclusion in the Queensland Cup in 1996 and 1997, and this team will be as well.

Totally agree. I am a supporter of a PNG team in the Qld Cup but totally hate the QRL's lack of financial support. It cost the Vipers PGK720,00 (and Coca-Cola provided 300,000 of that) per year to participate 10 years ago. It is impossible to be less now and if the team is in the comp then they should be entitled to whatever the other teams are getting in the way of support. Fairdinkum some of the stuff written about PNG's ability to produce needs to be tempered by reality.

I agree, its just like the failure that is the Gold Coast.

What's your point and which failure are you eluding to? Burleigh Bears, Tweed Heads or the Titans?

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
I wasn't actually suggesting that the QRL give them any special support.

Mate, I know it's tight everywhere, however, surely any team that's admitted to the comp gets the same benefits as anyone else but certainly not special support. In the original version this was not the case. The Vipers paid their own way and the visiting team's expenses too. On the other hand Stanley Haru (the Vipers 5/8 and captain) played for Qld Country. The uniqueness that they would bring to comp has excellent value.

For example the sponsors who line up for exposure would benefit in kind from the PNG team's inclusion. Air Niugini would be a lot more amenable to a joint approach for group airfares, same with hotels.

The PNG bid is a lot more viable if the draw includes 2 or even 3 games in Oz at a time because the costs of flights is then shared over 2 or 3 games. Similarly the teams that play in PNG should then include Cairns on that itinerary too.

Last edited:

lturner

Juniors
Mate, I know it's tight everywhere, however, surely any team that's admitted to the comp gets the same benefits as anyone else but certainly not special support. In the original version this was not the case. The Vipers paid their own way and the visiting team's expenses too. On the other hand Stanley Haru (the Vipers 5/8 and captain) played for Qld Country. The uniqueness that they would bring to comp has excellent value.

For example the sponsors who line up for exposure would benefit in kind from the PNG team's inclusion. Air Niugini would be a lot more amenable to a joint approach for group airfares, same with hotels.

The PNG bid is a lot more viable if the draw includes 2 or even 3 games in Oz at a time because the costs of flights is then shared over 2 or 3 games. Similarly the teams that play in PNG should then include Cairns on that itinerary too.

I'm all for PNG in the comp, I think it's a great idea and I hope it works. But should the QRL be subsidising this team in the same way is helps the other Q-Cup sides? I'm not saying that the rugby league community in Aus shouldn't help, but the burden shouldn't all fall to the QRL - the elite level (NRL) and possibly the Aus government should be assisting as well.

I hope this happens and it would be great to see more games broadcast on free-to-air or pay TV next year.

Titanic

First Grade
I'm all for PNG in the comp, I think it's a great idea and I hope it works. But should the QRL be subsidising this team in the same way is helps the other Q-Cup sides? I'm not saying that the rugby league community in Aus shouldn't help, but the burden shouldn't all fall to the QRL - the elite level (NRL) and possibly the Aus government should be assisting as well.

I hope this happens and it would be great to see more games broadcast on free-to-air or pay TV next year.

Sure but my point is that the sponsorship and funding that the QRL receives for the Qld Cup is tied to the market reach of the competition.

You add PNG then you have increased profile and add another dimension to the comp, therefore they should be entitled to their subsidy just like any other team.

mono_mal

Juniors
Definately agree with the above in that they should be entitled to the same QRL grant as all other teams. The inclusion of an international team will boost the profile of the comp and in turn media exposure etc. The QRL should also be able to command more sponsorship dollars as a result.

Perhaps future expansion could include the Northern Territory Titans who currently field teams in the Nth Qld Conference of the National Youth competitions (U16, U18).

lturner

Juniors
Definately agree with the above in that they should be entitled to the same QRL grant as all other teams. The inclusion of an international team will boost the profile of the comp and in turn media exposure etc. The QRL should also be able to command more sponsorship dollars as a result.

Perhaps future expansion could include the Northern Territory Titans who currently field teams in the Nth Qld Conference of the National Youth competitions (U16, U18).

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if the sponsorship actually covers the cost of running the comp. I'd be very happy to hear otherwise but I would guess that the QRL subsidises the comp with money from elsewhere (Origin etc).

If this is the case then I can understand why Livermore stated they would have to cover travel costs for themselves and visiting sides.

Latest posts