What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG Looking to join in 2010

Titanic

First Grade
I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if the sponsorship actually covers the cost of running the comp. I'd be very happy to hear otherwise but I would guess that the QRL subsidises the comp with money from elsewhere (Origin etc).

If this is the case then I can understand why Livermore stated they would have to cover travel costs for themselves and visiting sides.

You're right, sponsorship doesn't cover it but just like pumping money into Junior League (no argument from me for that either) there needs to be a budget for competition expansion. The NT Titans, the PNG group, Wests Panthers and any other worthy candidate should be considered holistically, not just on their dollar value.

Livermore and his "sink or swim" mentality doesn't allow for expansion. The AFL will pour millions into developing their "sport" in our backyard yet the QRL won't even encourage those who would like to add some rigidity to the QRL. Sorry guys but surely we need to protect what's ours and Qld is ours.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The ARL should be paying travel costs relating to bringing in expansion teams as these can kill teams.

Titanic

First Grade
The ARL should be paying travel costs relating to bringing in expansion teams as these can kill teams.

Totally correct and there are no higher ARL identities than Crackers McDonald and Livermore ... both Toowoomba, both QRL, both ARL and both sacrosanct when it comes to criticism.

Titanic

First Grade
Broughton is against PNG entering the Qld Cup because he sees that as an opportunity to be fobbed-off for his 2015 bid.

They will not be ready for 2050 let alone 2015 imho and the Qld Cup route is at least realistic... but as posted previously the QRL want nothing to do with them (unless there is another SL war and they'll be the first over there crying "traditional links" and so on).

So, while the factions debate the preferred approach, time marches on and they won't be playing Qld Cup any time real soon.

The Observer

Staff member
Perhaps PNG should enter the team into the NSW Cup? Geoff Carr and the NSWRL seem keen to raise the profile of the NSW Cup, it already contains teams from NSW, Vic and NZ, so that would meet everyone's needs.

Titanic

First Grade
The only drawback with that is added costs of travelling for both the home & away teams nut I am sure the NSW fans would get as much of a kick out the PNG teams inclusion as would Qld's.

KumulRaider

Juniors
Yet 2 hear of any progress on this issue..though the PNG bid team is superkeen still...do an of u really think NSWRL?/Jim Beam Cup is a viable alternative..??

Yet 2 hear of any progress on this issue..though the PNG bid team is superkeen still...do an of u really think NSWRL?/Jim Beam Cup is a viable alternative..??

QRL said they'd make a decision by end of October... obviously the QCup is the better option in travel terms. IMO - the Bundy Red Cup would not be a high enough level for them.

Titanic

First Grade

No I don't but if the QRL would pull it's finger out then the Vipers (this brand name is already established and has a supporter base) should be back in for 2010.

lturner

Juniors
Looks like PNG are not a starter for next year, let's hope they make it for 2011.

http://www.qrl.com.au/display.php?pg_id=5115

The opening Round of the 2010 Queensland Cup season will feature an explosive showdown between recent Grand Final combatants the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles and the Northern Pride.

The clash provides the Pride with an early opportunity to extract revenge on the Sea Eagles, who beat the Cairns club 32-18 in this year’s decider at Stockland Park.

The 2010 season kicks off on the weekend of March 13-14, with the Pride versus Sea Eagles match just one of six big games (click here for the 2010 QUEENSLAND CUP DRAW)

Twelve teams – Burleigh, Central, Easts, Ipswich, Mackay, Norths, Redcliffe, Souths Logan, Sunshine Coast, Tweed Heads, Wynnum Manly and the Northern Pride – will again be striving for premiership glory in September.

The Papua New Guinea Hunters applied for entry into the Competition but the submission failed to meet all criteria.

The League is hopeful that the PNG Hunters will successfully re-apply for entry in 2011.

The clubs are currently indicating their preferences for match days and venues for their home matches.

Seven of the Queensland Cup clubs have commenced training under the guidance of new coaches.

The new coaches are: Mark Gee (Burleigh Bears), Paul Bramley (Mackay Cutters), David Maiden (Northern Pride), John Dixon (Redcliffe Dolphins), Mark Beaumont (Souths Logan Magpies), Ben Anderson (Tweed Heads Seagulls) and Paul Green (Wynnum Manly Seagulls).

Fraser

we cant call it the qld cup anymore
its more than that with a team from a 2nd international coming from it

our games getting a little bit more international

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anybody kbnow what criteria they failed on? They are keen to have another go in 2011 and I hope they get some support to make it happen. I wonder if the other clubs weren't happy travelling to Port Moresby rather than them not being good enough to get in?

Jankuloski

Juniors
My guess is that would be the biggest sticking point. It's a strategic decision to be made from the top. Unfortunately, the NRL doesn't have someone who can do that. Semi pro clubs in the championship one in Europe are flying to France all the time.

Titanic

First Grade
It was about sustainability. The Vipers were leaking cash due to travel while the Qld teams were propped up by the QRL.

As has been mentioned in this thread and others, there needs to be a balance struck between what the QRL are prepared to do to have an international team in the comp and what is a fair contribution to the equation from PNG.

One thing for certain, it can't be all one way from PNG as some sort of QRL/Livermore cash cow as it was before. From the players point of view before, going to Moresby was tough but exciting where they were treated like rock stars by the locals... a great introduction to the "next level".

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shame our international game isn't stronger and making more $'s to prime initiatives like this and Toulouse.