What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

aqua_duck

Coach
Ponga and Best both missed out on selection in the upcoming test series. Blessing in disguise for Ponga- give his shoulder the chance to fully heal.
They left out the 3 best fullbacks available in Ponga, Walsh and Edwards, can’t have anyone in the squad putting pressure on Teddy…..
Best very unlucky, Staggs is an absolute liability in defence, he makes Best look like Matty Cooper defensively

Woody90

Juniors
Ponga and Best both missed out on selection in the upcoming test series. Blessing in disguise for Ponga- give his shoulder the chance to fully heal.

That’s brilliant news! Both very unlucky to miss out but will have longer and less risky pre seasons.

Honestly the whole thing about everyone acting like Tedesco is owed something is ridiculous though. He got picked over the Dally M winner and both GF fullbacks. Pretty funny but Mal can get away with it at test level where Aus doesn’t have huge competition.

Burwood

Bench
I’m guessing Teddy will play this series and swiftly announce his retirement from rep footy to focus on the roosters.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Have long believed he is the most gifted footballer I have seen in my time. if he stays fit he could absolutely dominate this competition. Walsh is not in his league. He only kicked off his form run in a strong side. At the Warriors he did very little. KP has been doing it for longer in weaker teams.

Have long believed he is the most gifted footballer I have seen in my time. if he stays fit he could absolutely dominate this competition. Walsh is not in his league. He only kicked off his form run in a strong side. At the Warriors he did very little. KP has been doing it for longer in weaker teams.
100% Walsh has great speed *, but I think like many before him as that speed wanes so to will his effectiveness. He's not in the same post code as Ponga IMO. In terms of personality Walsh comes across as a total dick.

* and the type of coverage only his indirect employers at FOX can offer.

perverse

Referee
I dunno, I think Walsh is a hell of a footballer and it'll be quite the battle for that QLD jersey. I do think Ponga is in a league of his own when he's on though and has a few more threats in his ballplaying and even short kicking game than Walsh. I'd say Walsh has Ponga covered for running game these days by a slim margin, mainly due to his youth.

QLD can't really lose with who they pick. My bias says they're mad not to get Kalyn back in that team, but incumbency will count for something and if Walsh is still on fire, he might struggle to displace him.

I dunno, I think Walsh is a hell of a footballer and it'll be quite the battle for that QLD jersey. I do think Ponga is in a league of his own when he's on though and has a few more threats in his ballplaying and even short kicking game than Walsh. I'd say Walsh has Ponga covered for running game these days by a slim margin, mainly due to his youth.

QLD can't really lose with who they pick. My bias says they're mad not to get Kalyn back in that team, but incumbency will count for something and if Walsh is still on fire, he might struggle to displace him.
Oh Ponga will be there I've got zero doubt about that. If not at FB they must find a place for him.

Unlike Walsh Ponga can play in numerous positions, so likely Walsh keeps the #1 and they find another role for KP.

QLD would be insane to leave him out. What position ? too good to be on the bench.

Woody90

Juniors
QLD would be insane to leave him out. What position ? too good to be on the bench.

Fullback is really the only position they can play Ponga either though. Especially after all of Billy’s comments about wanting to protect him from concussions and the implications if they lose him to a head knock early on.

Sure KP has the skills to play anywhere in the backline, halves or even lock, but he can’t defend in the line at club level let alone Origin without becoming concussed. He’s shown historically he can win QLD a series, NSW will be trying to knock him out all the time.

I hope he’s not picked tbh. Fine with him playing at FB if Walsh is injured or does something stupid to be dropped (not unlikely) but don’t want him playing anywhere else. Even the bench is wasteful given he could only come on at fullback and Walsh can’t play anywhere else.

On the comparisons between KP and Walsh, they’re both brilliant attacking players in different ways. They’re both great ball players. Ponga is more timing and agility where Walsh is pure speed. Both great to watch. If Ponga had Walsh’s speed though it would be an easy win to KP.

aqua_duck

Coach
Honestly he’s that much better than anyone else in the team it’s almost like a first grader playing with park footballers. He was clearly hurt tonight and still by far and away our best and threatening player to the point where he’s making line breaks from beating 2 or 3 defenders on his own and there’s not a single team mate within the same postcode to support him. People compare him to Reece Walsh, the difference is when Walsh makes half a break he’s got guys like Mam, Staggs, Cobbo, etc in support, when Ponga makes a break the closest person there (besides the opposition) is usually the ref or touch judge

Apey

Staff member
He has so very little to work with. People give him shit because of his contract but he's on less than Cleary and compare what he has to work with.