What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post Game: Round 8 vs Cowpats

yy_cheng

Coach
Gutherson is getting better each game, he makes plenty of metres - see post above. The kid has play only 10 or so games.

Gutherson is being targeted at the moment by the opposition but has been pretty safe consider he is a rookie.

Yeah I get that and he is cheap. I just don't see him being our one.

Dibs

Bench
1. Foran no try. Decoy runners need to get it into their heads not to run into defensive players.
2. Norman's sin binning. Couple of things with this, firstly he shouldn't have done it even if they score we are still in the match with 13 on the field with plenty of time. Secondly the decision was right but how many times don't they sin bin for professional fouls.
3. Field position given to them after the sin binning. Through our poor handling we only have ourselves to blame. The penalty seemed weak to me but markers get penalized more times than not for not being square when playing the arm of the dummy half. The part about it that pisses me is the fact being square has nothing to do with it because markers are rarely square anyway.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
What was his average per run?

Jennings / semi made 13 runs each with Gutherson 17, so there run average is better (but take out 60-80 for there tries maybe not). But also shows Gutherson is working hard to ruck it out.

He was probably the difference.

If he had knocked on some of those takes, it might've been a different story.

Our attack near the line still needs alot of work. Cowpats got over our line easily when they are in our strike zone

Yeah, a couple of those takes he had in the first half could well have changed the result.

And just like a few years ago, we seem to be great in the broken field but struggle inside the opposition's 20.

eels_fan

First Grade
Scoreline sidnt reflect the game or our effort. Max 4-6 points better than us. We are at their level, just wasn't our night

Scoreline wasnt fair to us in the end but I didnt expect us to beat them twice in a season.

I am happy with where we are but all of that looks like it will be wiped this week and i hope we take it out on the Dogs

half_back

Juniors
The turning point was the dropped ball from Taka. To this point we had the momentum, the mistake led to the Norman sin binning and the game was gone after that.

Our attack still seems a fair way off, the minute we start throwing it around a bit we start dropping the ball.

Opposition teams are starting to workout how to get the better of our defensive line. Our defence pushes up hard and is vulnerable back on the inside or coming back against the grain. We got caught out on the inside a number of times particularly in the first half.

Whinge about the refs all you want but we got ourselves back in the game and then poor discipline and ball control cost us.

Sorry that's 4

I agree with what you say to a degree although last night was more about over exuberance and a few bad defensive reads. We used the same rush defence and heavy collisions we did when we played them the first time. In that first 15 minutes Moeroa really set the tone with Scott with some huge collisions.

Whether that line speed gassed them I'm not sure. The first try for mine was un scott like. He either has a personal vendetta against Thurston or is ready too much about their rivalry because the way he chased so far across from marker showed he was hell bent on destroying him. Unfortunately it exposed the inside and JT is good enough to exploit the hole. Markers should never runner across their defensive line. They are taught to tie in with the line. Chalk that one up to Beau.

The second one was when Jnr got stood up on the inside, although it wasn't juniors fault and again either good coaching or smart play as they seemed to try 2 or 3 times in the last few games the same play right around the 25-30 minute mark when the first prop rotation is about to take place. They went at junior and had alvaro to tired/slow to catch the inside runner.

The third poor read for mine was the try from the scrum Morgan ran to the right edge in a simple 3 on 3 set up. Moeroa shadowed his man, Morgan and when Lowe dropped under went to pick up the inside runner. Jenko obviously didn't track lowes run as he stayed out and left a yawning gap that Morgan ran through. Just a bad read.

Noise

Coach
Re. Morgan try from the scrum. There were still 2 Cowboys players outside Lowe and Morgan. Jennings had to hold his position out there. It was Moeroa who had the bad read and was too slow -but he shouldn't have been defending in that position. Too slow laterally.

Ant

Juniors
Corey Norman had a shocker last night in my view I think the cows got under his skin big time. He gave some stupid penalties away, he had us marched ten, his poor defence led directly to cows 2nd try when he was soft on Morgan. Spent half his night abusing everyone, comparing his game to Foran who just went hard.

Ant

Juniors
Even Normans reaction when he got binned was bad because we were lucky it wasn't a penalty try and a binning.
Also at 16-16 who reached in to the dummy half and gave a penalty on about tackle 4 down their right side. We had defended well then someone went for the cheap play, changed momentum and they went down field and winterstein scores. Peats lazy high shot when we had just gone up 16-14.
There was plenty rub of the green against us but that was semi final footy in front of us hostile crowd we need to be better. Cows were better than us

oneguy

Juniors
Wouldn't say Shocker but was not the same quality as his recent games. Spent a lot of time arguing and seemed to have dropped from 100% intensity. Perhaps all the media talk about how great he's been going is a factor here - or perhaps the contract negotiation is a factor.

I heard on the radio yesterday his manager has now upped his asking price to $1M !!! No doubt a negotiation ploy but the commentators reckon given he's one of a rare number of organising halfs - he is worth closer to that than the $600K.

Gronk

Staff member
The errors coming out of our end were a telling factor. Having said that many of the "loose carries" would not have happened if there wasn't a cowboys hand on the ball trying to pull it out.

The weak aspects of out game last night were definitely:

1. Cheap turn overs
2. Gutherson (whilst being safe under the high ball) offers no threat once he has the ball. Hence you can kick to him all day. He brings it back like my mum.
3. They were far far superior in turning field position into points. If they were 15m out, they would almost certainly turn it into points. We on the other hand struggled to do that.
4. They won the wrestle. The 2016 wrestle seems to be above the ground, holding, twisting, lifting the player and stifling momentum. They had quick play the balls which allowed them to gobble up yards.

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
Even Normans reaction when he got binned was bad because we were lucky it wasn't a penalty try and a binning.
Also at 16-16 who reached in to the dummy half and gave a penalty on about tackle 4 down their right side. We had defended well then someone went for the cheap play, changed momentum and they went down field and winterstein scores. Peats lazy high shot when we had just gone up 16-14.
There was plenty rub of the green against us but that was semi final footy in front of us hostile crowd we need to be better. Cows were better than us

Mau

Gutherson offers nothing in attack. Yes he is now solid under the ball but wingers needs to score tries and create chances themselves.

half_back

Juniors
Re. Morgan try from the scrum. There were still 2 Cowboys players outside Lowe and Morgan. Jennings had to hold his position out there. It was Moeroa who had the bad read and was too slow -but he shouldn't have been defending in that position. Too slow laterally.

You are right there was an extra man I missed. So two problems we can't mark up and get our numbers right and it was still an over commitment by Jennings the ball is the threat we play an up and out defence Jennings shouldn't leave the inside man until he has passed the ball. Moeroa had to track the run of the inside runner.

yy_cheng

Coach
Watching the broncs on Friday night, they had 4 blokes on a talked player to slow the play the ball

Broncs and cows are just a little bit more polished than we are

Latest posts