What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post origin blues

It happens every year. There's a team that goes on a tear after origin and a team that defecates the bed.

Who will it be? Take two from each side and explain why:

Defecate the bed - Brisbane and Dragons. I don't see enough in either team. Both have key players leaving and I just think both will struggle down the stretch

Rise like a Phoenix - Penrith and Canberra. Probably obvious picks, but both are much better than their position suggests

blaza88z

Coach
It happens every year. There's a team that goes on a tear after origin and a team that defecates the bed.

Defecate the bed - Brisbane and Dragons. I don't see enough in either team. Both have key players leaving and I just think both will struggle down the stretch

Rise like a Phoenix - Penrith and Canberra. Probably obvious picks, but both are much better than their position suggests

We're losing Ben Hunt, who has been injured and ever since his injury we went on a "tear" as you like to put it, with any luck he'll get injured again

Life's Good

Coach

Key players leaving for new clubs in 2018. What has that got to do with the remainder of this year??

blaza88z

Coach
Classy as always.

It doesn't have to be career ending, just season ending, enough so that Nikorima is given the season to play in the halves, you can have your million dollar man who can't catch a kick off nice and healthy - no worries

OldPanther

Coach

I wouldn't be surprised. Raiders finished strong last year the same as Panthers. Ee also have a few bye rounfs and some easier games which will allow us to get some confidence going.

Broncos will come good in the last few rounds as always.

Hutty1986

Immortal
It doesn't have to be career ending, just season ending, enough so that Nikorima is given the season to play in the halves, you can have your million dollar man who can't catch a kick off nice and healthy - no worries
Great to hear. Can't wait!

blaza88z

Coach
I think the draw had a large part to do with the Raiders surging finish last season, I know they beat some good sides too but they're very much a confidence side

_Johnsy

Referee

Yep, the only NRL player to have dropped a kick off.

Wishing injury on one of your current players, as OzDragions said, classy as always.

beave

Coach
At least this was at the start of a GF

Old Hunty didn't get much of a chance for redemption after it on the night.......

Lebbo73

Bench
Yep, the only NRL player to have dropped a kick off.

Wishing injury on one of your current players, as OzDragions said, classy as always.
I wouldn't read too much into what OzDragon says on this issue. He has a vested interest in this matter so he can't be taken seriously. :D

_Johnsy

Referee
I wouldn't read too much into what OzDragon says on this issue. He has a vested interest in this matter so he can't be taken seriously. :D
So blaza didn't wish an njury on the current Brisbane 1/2. Thanks for clearing that up, quality input.

Lebbo73

Bench
So blaza didn't wish an njury on the current Brisbane 1/2. Thanks for clearing that up, quality input.
Only an injury that improves the quality of the team. You know, something that puts Hunt out until the end of July and Bennett says "f**k it, we don't need him as it will unsettle the balance of the side now."
There's no mystery as to why Brisbane just won 5 in a row. Of course you can't blame Hunt for the loss but you don't see the Cowboys winning 5 in a row without Thurston. Hunt is supposed to be getting the same coin as Thurston next year. Where are the performances that are worthy of that coin?

blaza88z

Coach
Only an injury that improves the quality of the team. You know, something that puts Hunt out until the end of July and Bennett says "f**k it, we don't need him as it will unsettle the balance of the side now."
There's no mystery as to why Brisbane just won 5 in a row. Of course you can't blame Hunt for the loss but you don't see the Cowboys winning 5 in a row without Thurston. Hunt is supposed to be getting the same coin as Thurston next year. Where are the performances that are worthy of that coin?

Hunt is no Thurston, Dragons got desperate and opened the chequebook.

He has won nothing, competed in 2 grand finals (both as the chief playmaker), both games were lost in golden point. Never kicked a field goal in his 150+ first grade games, he's tried many of times but he just goes to water when the game is there to be won, which is something you definitely don't want to see in a halfback. He has to have one of the worst kicking games in the comp for a starting half, occasionally he'll produce a nice kick but you wouldn't be putting your money on it, he is wildly inconsistent with his kicking. His best plays are all based around his running and passing game, I find it ironic that the true success that Dragons do or don't have going forward will be heavily reliant on Widdop's ability to carry a bloke in the side who is earning more cash than him (in a very similar role, I might add). Even then, Widdop himself was rubbish last season, who's to say his form this season wasn't just to get that new contract?

TLDR; Hunt is a good player, great running and passing game but can't kick to save his life, also comes up with ridiculously bad plays when the pressure is on, he is the sole reason we lost the GF in 2015, he gifted them the field position for the try, then dropped the ball which led to the field goal to seal the deal. 1 million dollars for 6 years? Take him.

Now, when I said get injured, I wasn't wishing him to snap an achilles or pop and ACL or anything like that, I just think it's best for the club if we go through this season without him, Nikorima has been doing a great job. I don't see Bennett giving him the Justin Hodges treatment back to QLD Cup though, so Nikorima will have to bide his time as a utility.

Hunt is no Thurston, Dragons got desperate and opened the chequebook.

He has won nothing, competed in 2 grand finals (both as the chief playmaker), both games were lost in golden point. Never kicked a field goal in his 150+ first grade games, he's tried many of times but he just goes to water when the game is there to be won, which is something you definitely don't want to see in a halfback. He has to have one of the worst kicking games in the comp for a starting half, occasionally he'll produce a nice kick but you wouldn't be putting your money on it, he is wildly inconsistent with his kicking. His best plays are all based around his running and passing game, I find it ironic that the true success that Dragons do or don't have going forward will be heavily reliant on Widdop's ability to carry a bloke in the side who is earning more cash than him (in a very similar role, I might add). Even then, Widdop himself was rubbish last season, who's to say his form this season wasn't just to get that new contract?

TLDR; Hunt is a good player, great running and passing game but can't kick to save his life, also comes up with ridiculously bad plays when the pressure is on, he is the sole reason we lost the GF in 2015, he gifted them the field position for the try, then dropped the ball which led to the field goal to seal the deal. 1 million dollars for 6 years? Take him.

Now, when I said get injured, I wasn't wishing him to snap an achilles or pop and ACL or anything like that, I just think it's best for the club if we go through this season without him, Nikorima has been doing a great job. I don't see Bennett giving him the Justin Hodges treatment back to QLD Cup though, so Nikorima will have to bide his time as a utility.
Your TL;DR was as long as the post itself lol

Clifferd

Coach
To be fair, Hunt is a much better option than mccrone at halfback so I can understand why Dragons fans would want him to jump ship this year

Mccrone single Handley lost the unlosable against the Sharks a couple weeks ago

Bronco18

Juniors
We're losing Ben Hunt, who has been injured and ever since his injury we went on a "tear" as you like to put it, with any luck he'll get injured again

Don't get me wrong, Hunt's not the best in the business and will be overpaid next year, but you're being pretty dishonest with the wins that the Broncos have had without him.

Niko's come in to halfback coincided where we've played teams like Souths, Titans, Tigers, Panthers. We would've been expected to win all of them. Two of them the Broncos were the worse team but scraped home with victories by luck.

I'm excited for Niko to get on offseason at halfback for next year, but he's not up to Hunt's standards yet.