What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premiers !!!!!!!

kram

Juniors
If Parra were awarded the Premiership for last year, the NRL is basically saying that they won the game. With that in mind, EVERY team throughout the year who played Melbourne should get two points for the win. Which would mean Parra didn't make the top 8. The Tigers, Cowboys and Souths all would finish above Parra. So how do you win a premiership from tenth?

Ladmate

Bench
Fair enough.

Though they're not complaining as much as some here because they've won Premierships recently whereas we haven't.

Also fair enough.

Manly got revenge the year after, so instead of focusing on last year, maybe the fans should focus on this year.

Swiftstylez

Bench
Hey, i know we weren't premiers and don't deserve the title but in an Eels forum i think it is fair that we will find some people who would take a premiership and why they feel that it is owed to us.

I am pi$$ed that i moped around for 3 months after the loss and now find out we were playing cheats, what could have been? We will never know, it is as simple as that, we can't change it, we can certainly whinge about it though and we have every right to be angry as do the other teams aswell! What about the teams who played the Storm twice in the years? That is 4 competition points, that is a possibility of a finals berth for some teams and then who knows what would happen?

The main reason why the Eels supporters would be more upset is because we physically lost to them in the last game of the year!

Remember though, the Eels beat sides 1, 3 & 2 to get the GF last year too, so you should be able to forgive some of the supporters for thinking that we should be handed the premiership under these circumstances!

QFT. The argument that we beat the top 3 of the year to get in the Grand Final is a good one to negate the people that play what if's with the other teams that had to vs the Storm, and the Grand Final is a bigger occasion.

Doggiesfan09

Juniors
,If melbourne were not in the finals series the draw would have been completely different , if they were to hand a premiership to any team i would prefer it that the whole finals series was discounted and they gave it to the Dragons for being the best team all year

,If melbourne were not in the finals series the draw would have been completely different , if they were to hand a premiership to any team i would prefer it that the whole finals series was discounted and they gave it to the Dragons for being the best team all year
too many what ifs and maybes involved to give the premiership to anyone mate if the storm were playing by the rules one or maybe two of their superstars would be at another club whats to say they wouldnt help them to a premiership?

sportive cupid

Referee
If Parra were awarded the Premiership for last year, the NRL is basically saying that they won the game. With that in mind, EVERY team throughout the year who played Melbourne should get two points for the win. Which would mean Parra didn't make the top 8. The Tigers, Cowboys and Souths all would finish above Parra. So how do you win a premiership from tenth?
No they wouldn't.Souths actually beat Melbourne I think-so they wouldn't be getting any extra points.
Also you are forgetting a few things.With Melbourne out of the 8 there would have been another spot AND what about poor old Penrith!!!:lol:

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
Melbourne have wasted a couple of seasons for us league fans now. 2007 and 2009 are pretty much null and void, didn't happen.:(

So how much difference does $700k make? look at 2008, the Storm lost 40-0 when Smith missed the game. He is probably on something like that with the inflated salaries. Parra may not have gotten a 40-0 scoreline but I'm sure they'd have won against a team missing Smith, Inglis or Slater, or even the Storm minus 4-5 role players.

It had to happen eventually, how the hell can a team keep probably the best 3 players in the game, or 3 of the top 5 players in the game. Actually, iirc they are the last 3 golden boot winners. They'd carry on about losing players, but they were getting replaced with decent players anyway, and they still went after Mason. When their board rejected him it was probably more a case of them not wanting to look even more obvious than they already were.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
We should have got the premiership like Jared.

Yep, in spite of Storms lying activities we were beating every team that mattered which not only got us into the 8 but had us eventually play the cheats in the GF. Just on the merit of proven success through our golden run we easily deserve the GF.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Top 8 (see below) Beating the Dragons in the first Semi was HUGE as was beating the Dogs in the Major Semi. Sure we did not play Moanly in the semis, knocked out by the Storm, and we did not play them during our golden run but the Dragons were seen as the team to beat with Doggies and Moanly coming in a close 2nd/3rd. Titans were obliterated by us. Manly beat us 34 to 10 in Round 10. Broncos beat us 40 to 8 in round 7 and in round 16 we beat the Broncos 21 to 14. And in round 22 we annihilated Newcastle 40 to 8. Moanly is the only ?

Team Pld W D L B PF PA PD Pts

1 St. George Illawarra 24 17 0 7 2 548 329 +219 38
2 Canterbury Bulldogs 24 18 0 6 2 575 428 +147 38*
3 Gold Coast Titans 24 16 0 8 2 514 467 +47 36
4 Melbourne *stripped 24 14 1 9 2 505 348 +157 33
5 Manly Sea Eagles 24 14 0 10 2 549 439 +90 32
6 Brisbane 24 14 0 10 2 511 566 −55 32
7 Newcastle 24 13 0 11 2 508 491 +17 30
8 Parramatta 24 12 1 11 2 476 473 +3 29

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Manly were knocked out by Storm in the first semi 40 to 12. Manly's season was disrupted by many issues including an eventual dishoneration over sex allegations involving Brett Stewart who also had a knee injury which kept him out for a large part of the season.

Last edited: